Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              21      
       23       24       end

Archive 2012 · New Olympus OM-D announced

formula4speed
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.22 #1 · New Olympus OM-D announced

B&H is now showing a very specific expected release date of April 10th. I'm considering being an early adopter for this one.

Feb 29, 2012 at 08:54 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.22 #2 · New Olympus OM-D announced

Tariq Gibran wrote:
The first image really got my attention, particularly the rendering of her hair and red blouse.

http://olympus-imaging.jp/product/dslr/em5/sample/index.html

Ah, OK, I hadden't been to that site. I'm not sure what's impressive about that shot though besides maybe the subject herself.

It's studio lit shot - so my GH1 can do the same; or better given a little better lens.

I'm pro OM-D and all... I'll probably buy one for myself in fact. I'm just not sure what if anything, that image says about the camera.

Thanks for the link tho! Nice pic!

Feb 29, 2012 at 09:00 PM
miloz
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.22 #3 · New Olympus OM-D announced

Bifurcator wrote:
I think this hasn't been posted yet:

http://www.pekkapotka.com/journal/

It's a pretty nice little journal!

He puts the E-P3 at roughly two stops less DR than DXO does. (his DR measurement at 8, DXO has the E-P3 at 10.1, the X100 at 12.4, IIRC)

Regardless of the numbers, then, the new E-M5 should have essentially the same dynamic range as my X100. That's workable, I've been pretty happy with the range of the X100.

Feb 29, 2012 at 10:11 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.22 #4 · New Olympus OM-D announced

The pessimistic part of me thinks the dr will be just slightly better than the g3.

Mar 01, 2012 at 01:05 AM
kwalsh
• • •
p.22 #5 · New Olympus OM-D announced

FlyPenFly wrote:
The pessimistic part of me thinks the dr will be just slightly better than the g3.

That's what I'm thinking, but I did some measurements on those RAW sample files that came out in the past week or so and the numbers seemed to indicate it was actually measurably better than the G3 - even better than the GH2 perhaps. We'll just have to wait and see.

Ken

Mar 01, 2012 at 01:12 AM
Rich M
• •
p.22 #6 · New Olympus OM-D announced

FlyPenFly wrote:

I share that feeling......regardless, sounds like a capable instrument.

R

Mar 01, 2012 at 01:13 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.22 #7 · New Olympus OM-D announced

G3 is too small for me. One of the reasons I'm so excited is the optional grip which I'm sure to buy. Slightly better than G3 in IQ + better than G3 in ergonomics + IBIS = Winning combination.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Mar 01, 2012 at 06:43 AM
wjmeyer
• • •
p.22 #8 · New Olympus OM-D announced

Yakim Peled wrote:
G3 is too small for me. One of the reasons I'm so excited is the optional grip which I'm sure to buy. Slightly better than G3 in IQ + better than G3 in ergonomics + IBIS = Winning combination.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

I'd really like that grip too, but not the $300 price, yikes! Anyway, wish they would just sell the bigger grip without the battery grip.

Seeing all this new stuff coming out and the comparison's to the E-P3 shows it to be much better in almost every category, I'm really looking forward to the E-M5.

Mar 02, 2012 at 04:58 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.22 #9 · New Olympus OM-D announced

wjmeyer wrote:
Anyway, wish they would just sell the bigger grip without the battery grip.

They won't?

Mar 02, 2012 at 08:20 PM
wjmeyer
• • •
p.22 #10 · New Olympus OM-D announced

carstenw wrote:
They won't?

Yep, that's my thought as well... which begs the question, why'd they make it a 2-piece unit in the first place?

Mar 02, 2012 at 09:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.22 #11 · New Olympus OM-D announced

Cuz it's a kit. Like some tripods just come with an attached head and that's it. You can take it off if you want but you gotta buy it as a kit. Same idea here I guess.

I have no complaints!

Mar 02, 2012 at 10:01 PM
wjmeyer
• • •
p.22 #12 · New Olympus OM-D announced

43rumors just posted a quote from David Parry from Canon UK when talked about their essentially m43 G1 X camera
"We managed to create a four times zoom in a very compact body, and really it has the biggest sensor that we could use and also get decent coverage from the lens. If you made the sensor any bigger, the lens would have to be a lot bigger and it would be much more difficult and expensive to produce."

I think this is the hangup with mirrorless bodies that use larger sensors, it limits the size of the lens. My personal experience has shown that I prefer the m43 format for lenses over the bigger sensors and thus - bigger lenses.

Yesterday they also posted a comparison and the E-M5 looked quite impressive...

Mar 06, 2012 at 07:32 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.22 #13 · New Olympus OM-D announced

That's some weird chroma noise or something is off on the E-M5, the grey circles shouldn't be reddish...

Mar 06, 2012 at 07:34 PM
wjmeyer
• • •
p.22 #14 · New Olympus OM-D announced

Good point FlyPenFly, hopefully something that is easily corrected in the final firmware or at least within Lightroom, but would rather see the OOC jpeg's corrected for this as well. From a 3200 ISO shot I was pretty impressed, my E-P3 certainly couldn't render this detail.

Mar 06, 2012 at 07:38 PM
formula4speed
• • •
p.22 #15 · New Olympus OM-D announced

Any chance anyone has come across a manual floating around for the EM5 yet? I'd love to flip through one but I came up with nothing on Google.

Mar 09, 2012 at 02:30 PM
wjmeyer
• • •
p.22 #16 · New Olympus OM-D announced

Here is where you can download the manual, enjoy

http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/manual/omd/man_em5_e.pdf

Mar 09, 2012 at 02:38 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.22 #17 · New Olympus OM-D announced

DPReview has posted a basic studio image from the full ISO range

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/reviewsamples/albums/olympus-om-d-e-m5-low-light-iso-samples

FlyPenFly wrote:
That's some weird chroma noise or something is off on the E-M5, the grey circles shouldn't be reddish...

To me it looks like a WB mismatch from the others. The GX1 image is clearly more cyan/greenish than the Sonys.

Mar 09, 2012 at 10:58 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.22 #18 · New Olympus OM-D announced

Should it be producing that much pattern noise at ISO 12800 and 25600? Random noise I would expect but lines like that... Gerrr...

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:10 AM
Ataboy
• • •
p.22 #19 · New Olympus OM-D announced

It's interesting to compare Oly's high ISO results with similar pictures posted recently on DPReview for Canon 5D III. Sure Canon looks cleaner... Until you inspect images closely and see that it was done at the cost of killing all detail in fine textures. Of course at higher ISOs like 25600 there is no contest, Canon wins however you look at it. But at ISO 1600... I actually like the level of detail from Oly much better than the smeared look from Canon.

Canon: http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/reviewsamples/photos/1779792/iso-1600?inalbum=canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-low-light-iso-samples

Oly (NR off): http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/reviewsamples/photos/1798861/iso-1600_nf-off?inalbum=olympus-om-d-e-m5-low-light-iso-samples

I wish DPReview posted Canon's no-NR samples as well so that we could compare apples to apples.

Mar 10, 2012 at 03:19 AM
curious80
• • •
p.22 #20 · New Olympus OM-D announced

As far as I can see all the objects which have finer details are outside the plane of focus in the ISO1600 shot from 5D. The E-M5 shot on the other hand has more of the scene falling within the DOF. So it is hard to compare the detail here.

Ataboy wrote:
It's interesting to compare Oly's high ISO results with similar pictures posted recently on DPReview for Canon 5D III. Sure Canon looks cleaner... Until you inspect images closely and see that it was done at the cost of killing all detail in fine textures. Of course at higher ISOs like 25600 there is no contest, Canon wins however you look at it. But at ISO 1600... I actually like the level of detail from Oly much better than the smeared look from Canon.

Canon: http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/reviewsamples/photos/1779792/iso-1600?inalbum=canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-low-light-iso-samples

Oly (NR off): http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/reviewsamples/photos/1798861/iso-1600_nf-off?inalbum=olympus-om-d-e-m5-low-light-iso-samples

I wish DPReview posted Canon's no-NR samples as well so that we could compare
...Show more

Mar 10, 2012 at 03:31 AM
       23       24       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

23       24       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password