1       2       3              8      
       end

Archive 2012 · How many pixels do you want for 5D III

Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #1 · p.9 #1 · How many pixels do you want for 5D III

DmitriM wrote:
I resize all the images to about 10-12mp and often print 30x40s and almost everyone comments how sharp the images are...

Printing destroys a lot of "information". I haven't really seen any visible differences between a large print from a 12mp file and 20mp file.

I'm not surprised that YOU can't see any difference.
You posted before in this thread that you print Billbord's from 5mp files from your 10D camera. When you think that is good. Any print-size from any camera will be good

Even my Epson 3880 printer takes advantage of those 21mp when I print largest size. Which I do most of the time

Feb 09, 2012 at 10:18 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.9 #2 · p.9 #2 · How many pixels do you want for 5D III

DmitriM wrote:
I resize all the images to about 10-12mp and often print 30x40s and almost everyone comments how sharp the images are...

Printing destroys a lot of "information". I haven't really seen any visible differences between a large print from a 12mp file and 20mp file.

I've seen differences on 8x11 paper between 8 and 16 and the 3:2 ratio left lots of the paper blank at that.
Not that you can't print larger and have it look OK but it won't have that awesome crazy sharpness.

Feb 09, 2012 at 10:20 PM
M Vers
• • • • • •
p.9 #3 · p.9 #3 · How many pixels do you want for 5D III

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Me too. I said 26MP (~ 40D, 1D IV density) 8fps, 1D IV AF, 100% VF, dual cards. I want a bit more reach for wildlife, but certainly not over 30MP.

My thoughts exactly, though I wouldn't ever use 8fps. 26mp files would be pretty large for wedding work, but I suppose I could run on mRAW, which would provide me with about the same resolution as the 5D. But 26mp for wildlife and macro work...yes please and thank you.

Feb 09, 2012 at 10:25 PM
splathrop
• • •
p.9 #4 · p.9 #4 · How many pixels do you want for 5D III

I make huge prints all the time. I'm under pressure to do it, because galleries that sell my work want it bigger than I would otherwise choose to make it. That doesn't mean I automatically want 36 mega pixels, however. Prints up to 40 inches can be pretty reasonable from the 5D II. But only IF it's the right subject matter, optimized technique, and good light. So I work hard to shoot within those limitations.

If upping the mega pixels makes the limitations more stringent, what do I gain? Sure, I would take the extra pixels for free—no extra problems—but I don't really expect to get them that way. I would accept a small REDUCTION in mega pixels (18?) if that plus improved technology could get me ISO 400 as clean as ISO 200 is now. Make me a 5D III like that and I would buy it even without other improvements.

Feb 09, 2012 at 10:26 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.9 #5 · p.9 #5 · How many pixels do you want for 5D III

M Vers wrote:
My thoughts exactly, though I wouldn't ever use 8fps. 26mp files would be pretty large for wedding work, but I suppose I could run on mRAW, which would provide me with about the same resolution as the 5D. But 26mp for wildlife and macro work...yes please and thank you.

I will raise you to 30-32MP for just a bit more for wildlife and some crazy sharp 13x19 landscapes.

Feb 09, 2012 at 10:26 PM
M Vers
• • • • • •
p.9 #6 · p.9 #6 · How many pixels do you want for 5D III

I wouldn't mind 30+ mp as long as it doesn't affect high ISO performance too dramatically. I'd want clean ISO3200 and good 6400 performance, and with 30-32mp I'm not too sure if they would succeed. We'll have to wait and see.

Feb 09, 2012 at 10:36 PM
Peter Le
• • •
p.9 #7 · p.9 #7 · How many pixels do you want for 5D III

DmitriM wrote:

If you have no detail in your photo this might be true....like a white wall with a large red line painted on it...but that is the only way this statement is true. I showed my 82 year old mother a landscape printed from a original 5D and one printed from a 1DsIII and asked her the difference. She immediately started pointing out all the differences in detail. This was with 82 year old eyes......how old are your eyes if you can`t see a difference ?

Feb 09, 2012 at 10:39 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.9 #8 · p.9 #8 · How many pixels do you want for 5D III

This is 100% crop from leica S2 and D800 crop is very close to this and you tell me you don't like any higher than 36mp be real now

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2649/4049518874_14be84eee6_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7200/6850303259_5558cd3e57_b.jpg

Edited on Feb 10, 2012 at 01:40 AM · View previous versions

Feb 09, 2012 at 10:49 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #9 · p.9 #9 · How many pixels do you want for 5D III

M Vers wrote:
I wouldn't mind 30+ mp as long as it doesn't affect high ISO performance too dramatically. I'd want clean ISO3200 and good 6400 performance, and with 30-32mp I'm not too sure if they would succeed. We'll have to wait and see.

Ok, if they can deliver a 32MP FF, with noise at least as good as the 5D II at the pixel level, and could still deliver 6fps I could be persuaded. I used ISO 12800 on the 5D II the other day and was surprised how good it was. For this reason I'd prefer a camera that could deliver 0.5-1 stop RAW improvement over 5D II and don't think a 30MP+ camera could do that.

Feb 09, 2012 at 11:00 PM
M Vers
• • • • • •
p.9 #10 · p.9 #10 · How many pixels do you want for 5D III

Pixel Perfect wrote:
For this reason I'd prefer a camera that could deliver 0.5-1 stop RAW improvement over 5D II and don't think a 30MP+ camera could do that.

Agreed.

Feb 09, 2012 at 11:11 PM
jorkata
• • •
p.9 #11 · p.9 #11 · How many pixels do you want for 5D III

skibum5 wrote:
a new rumor on northlight has the same idea:
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_5d3.html

5DX 45 MP, 61pt simplified 1DX AF, 3.4fps

5D3 22MP, 61pt simplified 1DX AF, 6.9fps, best HD video of any EOS DSLR (the long fabled 3D)

both coming in at a bit over $3000

While splitting the 5D-series makes a lot of sense, this particular rumor is just wishful thinking.

If Canon splits the 5D series into two, the two new models will definitely sell at two different price points.
It makes zero business sense to sell two different products at the same price.

$2500 and $3500 are the likely asking prices for split 5D-series.

As I said already, the cheaper model will be the FF version of the 7D: 18mp, 7fps, and a 7D-level of AF system.
The more expensive model will be the one with the many megapixels and the 1DX AF system.

Splitting the series makes a lot sense, since by now it should be clear to everyone that 1.6x cameras cannot command a high price – no matter how well spec’d they are.
The 7D is selling for $1350 right now, which is lower than the 20D was selling back in the day.
And the D300s has been MIA for more than two years now.

So, FF is the future for ‘advanced enthusiasts’ - but then the price must be right too.
The D800 will attract many pros but at $3000 it’s just too much for many ‘advanced enthusiasts’, who will be main buyers of a FF model priced closer to $2000 (which I believe will be the price of the 5DIII a couple of months after introducton).

Feb 09, 2012 at 11:55 PM
campyone
• •
p.9 #12 · p.9 #12 · How many pixels do you want for 5D III

DmitriM wrote:
A lot of **noobs**?

I can't see a pro switching just because he didn't get his wish of a few more MPs. I mean, not many switched even when D700 showed a much better AF than 5DII. Nor many switched from a 12mp D700 to a 21mp 5DII.

Considering the amount of wedding photographers out there, they will unlikely switch as they need the high ISO and they don't need 36mp.

I can't even imagine how long it would take to sort through 2000-4000 36mp RAW files and then edit them.
Haha, well, then maybe finally wedding prices will go up as
...Show more

You apparently missed the part of my message where I said "I'm sure for many photographers 18mpx really is all they need (or want)."

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:02 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.9 #13 · p.9 #13 · How many pixels do you want for 5D III

DmitriM wrote:

I can guarantee that you'll be able to see the difference between a 12MP and a 20MP file at 30" x 40".

Dan

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:24 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.9 #14 · p.9 #14 · How many pixels do you want for 5D III

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Ok, if they can deliver a 32MP FF, with noise at least as good as the 5D II at the pixel level, and could still deliver 6fps I could be persuaded. I used ISO 12800 on the 5D II the other day and was surprised how good it was. For this reason I'd prefer a camera that could deliver 0.5-1 stop RAW improvement over 5D II and don't think a 30MP+ camera could do that.

I'm still highly suspicious that going from 21MP to 30-32MP would cost, at worst, 1/4 stop SNR high iso loss so if they could make it 2/3 stops better then I'd take 5/12 better and my extra 9-11MP. And they certainly have the chips to drive it at 6.3fps. Anyway we will see what they will do soon enough (unless they had 18MP, 4fps, crippled 7D AF for $3100 prepared, in that case, we may not seen until very late next fall ).

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:53 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.9 #15 · p.9 #15 · How many pixels do you want for 5D III

jorkata wrote:
While splitting the 5D-series makes a lot of sense, this particular rumor is just wishful thinking.

If Canon splits the 5D series into two, the two new models will definitely sell at two different price points.
It makes zero business sense to sell two different products at the same price.

$2500 and $3500 are the likely asking prices for split 5D-series.

As I said already, the cheaper model will be the FF version of the 7D: 18mp, 7fps, and a 7D-level of AF system.
The more expensive model will be the one with the many megapixels and the 1DX AF system.

Splitting
...Show more

But why would they put the better AF in the slow stills cam and the 7D AF into the action speed mini 1D cam
(OK granted they did put a better AI Servo tracking into the 5D2 and a better outer points stills composition AF into the 50D granted so maybe you have a point ).

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:55 AM
jorkata
• • •
p.9 #16 · p.9 #16 · How many pixels do you want for 5D III

skibum5 wrote:
But why would they put the better AF in the slow stills cam and the 7D AF into the action speed mini 1D cam

To make it more premium.

Feb 10, 2012 at 02:29 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.9 #17 · p.9 #17 · How many pixels do you want for 5D III

jorkata wrote:
To make it more premium.

yeah but a 3fps camera wouldn't need premium ai servo as much as their 7fps speed demon would it? why would the slow MF MP stills cam need the premium action AF?

Feb 10, 2012 at 02:35 AM
jorkata
• • •
p.9 #18 · p.9 #18 · How many pixels do you want for 5D III

skibum5 wrote:
yeah but a 3fps camera wouldn't need premium ai servo as much as their 7fps speed demon would it? why would the slow MF MP stills cam need the premium action AF?

Well, does the D800 need the D4 AF system - and yet that's exactly what it has.
Besides, you are assuming that it will be 3fps. I think it will be more like 6fps.

Feb 10, 2012 at 02:45 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #19 · p.9 #19 · How many pixels do you want for 5D III

skibum5 wrote:

jorkata wrote:
To make it more premium.

skibum5 wrote:

The 1Ds had the same AF as the 1D and it did pretty well with it. I remember blasting away at 3fps at hockey matches and doing quite alright. I'd prefer 3fps with 95% in focus over 6fps with the current what, 30% in focus.

Feb 10, 2012 at 02:50 AM
dm2010

p.9 #20 · p.9 #20 · How many pixels do you want for 5D III

Anything between 24 and 30Mp would be fine, with improved AF and video. I think Nikon impressed with the D800 but what counts in the end is image quality and I believe that the key to that is not absolute pixel count. We have moved beyond that stage. Also price will be important too. If Canon offers something below 2500 dollars/euros there is no doubt a lot of us will grab it. The question is, when is it coming?

Feb 10, 2012 at 03:20 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.