Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · If you had to take pictures of a little kid birthday party inside

surf monkey
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · If you had to take pictures of a little kid birthday party inside

CoLmes wrote:
Looks to be around 450 now :-(

You're worried about $450 and you eventually expect to move up to full frame?
If your budget is slim, then forget the 580 flash and get a cheaper Canon or third party flash, and spend the money you'll save on a better lens.
If $450 is too much for a lens, then I wouldn't worry about moving up to full frame, because that will cost a lot more and more than likely that move will be in the distant future. Think about what you need now and get it.
The Tamron 17-50 non-VC is a standout value on a crop DSLR.

Feb 08, 2012 at 02:20 AM
trumpet_guy
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · If you had to take pictures of a little kid birthday party inside

My setup would be a 5D or 5DmkII with a 24-70L and a 580EX/EXII.
If I could swing it, I'd have an assitant who could hold a large reflector near my so I
could bounch my flash off it, in case the walls and ceiling were either too far away
or the wrong color (non-white).

The 24-70L is a great "small event" lens. The brick delivers.

Feb 08, 2012 at 03:47 AM
trumpet_guy
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · If you had to take pictures of a little kid birthday party inside

If you are short on cash, get a used Tamron 17-50/2.8 or 28-75/2.8

Feb 08, 2012 at 03:48 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · If you had to take pictures of a little kid birthday party inside

CoLmes wrote:
...My gear right now is kind of slim.

60d
50mm 1.8
70-200 2.8
Cheapy flash

I'm in the market for a 580 and a nice wide lens. I currently have no width it seems like.

What's your lens budget? That will weigh heavily on your options.

Feb 08, 2012 at 11:39 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · If you had to take pictures of a little kid birthday party inside

For that kind of stuff, I setup a couple of YN560 flashes on radio triggers (flashes are ~$75 new, triggers are about $30). Bounced off the walls and ceilings, those work nicely.

Feb 08, 2012 at 12:04 PM
Eric Gottesman
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · If you had to take pictures of a little kid birthday party inside

I'm assuming you are just attending the party as a guest/parent, not being asked to
"shoot" the birthday party like a wedding.

60D with 50 1.8 is just fine. If you get a 430 on top of that, you got it made. A Tammy normal zoom would be a great add too, but I'd get the flash first. No flash, no decent shutter speed regardless of what lens you use.

Feb 08, 2012 at 12:07 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.