Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Camera safety in Nicaragua

gargantua

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Camera safety in Nicaragua

Hey everyone, not sure if this is the right forum but I will be travelling to Nicaragua at the beginning of March for two weeks. I've been concerned about bringing my dslr and some lenses, as far as safety and theft are concerned. I've been overseas twice before and never really had any problems, except for once when I was in Egypt a "professional photographer" kept hassling me to let him see my 30d. Ended up telling him it was my friend's camera and he finally walked away! lol Anyways, I've heard that the capital Managua isn't really safe so I don't really plan on taking too many pictures there. I'll be going with a friend who is originally from Nicaragua but hasn't been there since he was a kid. But we will be staying with his family for the most part. If I take my gear, I plan on taking the 5d mark II, 17-40, 70-200 2.8, 1.4 TC, and 45 tilt shift and a tripod for some landscape and sunsets. OR, I was thinking of just getting a G12. What are ya'lls thoughts on this? Has anyone been to Nicaragua? I couldn't find any posts about the country on here. Any info or insights would be appreciated, thanks!

Feb 07, 2012 at 10:04 PM
12monkeys
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Camera safety in Nicaragua

I avoided Managua as it's quite easy to go straight from the airport to Granada. I felt safe enough with a 40D, 10-22 and 70-200 although I'm sure normal precautions apply. Nice country, very nice people.

Feb 07, 2012 at 10:21 PM
gargantua

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Camera safety in Nicaragua

Thanks for the reply! Yeah that's been part of my confusion, a lot of stuff I've been reading about say that the people are very friendly and it's one of the safest countries in Central America, and then others' say that they had a horrible time. But I guess the latter is true anywhere you go at some point, especially if you're lugging around expensive equipment in the second poorest country in the western hemisphere. I don't think we'll be staying in Managua. My friend's family lives in Matagalpa but we'll be definitely going to Granada and Leon, and I want to climb a couple of volcanoes too. Elsewhere is still in up in the air as of right now. Thanks again!

Feb 07, 2012 at 10:45 PM
vivisha
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Camera safety in Nicaragua

I think you'll be safe if you trust your friend's family. Ask them where is safe to take your gear before going out and try and get a bag that doesn't look like a camera bag. Also get some insurance if you don't have any and if god forbid someone tries to rob you, remember, is only a camera and some lenses.

Feb 08, 2012 at 03:21 AM
artsupreme
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Camera safety in Nicaragua

Be careful in the big city for sure. We had an armed guard for our van full of gear so I had no issues shooting photos in the city on our way to our destination. Once you get out in the Country the people are very friendly as others have stated here. I would say it's very similar to Costa Rica and El Salvador in the Country but as always just be a smart traveler. Sometimes you will have to pay the "road tax" when you're out in the boonies but don't let their machetes scare you, they just want some dough.

Feb 08, 2012 at 03:34 AM
Nowhere Man
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Camera safety in Nicaragua

Just be a 'smart' traveler and you'll be fine. There are some areas of Managua that are definitely more sketch than others. Granada is ok. Had some of my clothing stolen on the beach while surfing/shooting pics in the water there. Always kept my camera gear close to me though. Stayed in hostels the entire trip. Some are definitely better than others. If you rent a car, be careful. The cops there are sketch. Friends of ours got pulled over just because they had two surfboards strapped to their roof. Apparently that's illegal there. They paid off the cops $100 to avoid a bigger ticket. Yet it's OK to have 20 people piled into the back of your small pick-up blazing 50mph down the highway country road. Great trip but you just have to be careful. Volcano's are awesome!

Feb 08, 2012 at 03:45 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

artsupreme
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Camera safety in Nicaragua

Nowhere Man wrote:
Friends of ours got pulled over just because they had two surfboards strapped to their roof. Apparently that's illegal there. They paid off the cops $100 to avoid a bigger ticket.

It's not illegal, this is what I call the "road tax" above....it's standard in 3rd world countries all over the world for surfers. Next time tell your buddies to bring packs of cigarettes and playboy magazines in their board bags - they work every time and it's a MUCH cheaper than paying cash. They've never failed us for "road tax" whether it be militia-style machete road blocks, Policia, or the Federalie check points.

Another tip for surfers - if they want to take your board bags down and start searching tell your buddies to get out of the car and watch them closely....or, they will plant something and REALLY stick it to you. Locked up abroad? I could go on with many other tips but learning them is part of the adventure

Feb 08, 2012 at 05:14 AM
drew.bowser
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Camera safety in Nicaragua

I grew up in El Salvador and Nica. I would not personally take any white lenses unless I have a security guard with me. Be very careful and watch yourself. It is a rather high crime country.

Cops in Nica are fairly corrupt they will try and get anything they can get even if it is not money...I have experience with with this....lol

In El Salvador the police are fairly trustworthy. I lived in El Salvador and never had any issues with them

Feb 08, 2012 at 05:25 AM
drew.bowser
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Camera safety in Nicaragua

Nowhere Man wrote:
Just be a 'smart' traveler and you'll be fine. There are some areas of Managua that are definitely more sketch than others. Granada is ok. Had some of my clothing stolen on the beach while surfing/shooting pics in the water there. Always kept my camera gear close to me though. Stayed in hostels the entire trip. Some are definitely better than others. If you rent a car, be careful. The cops there are sketch. Friends of ours got pulled over just because they had two surfboards strapped to their roof. Apparently that's illegal there. They paid off the cops
...Show more

$100 bucks? Man, you could have gotten away with less than that! Irocnically, they are corrupt but if you fight it more often than not you can get away with paying nothing. But they might steal your drivers license!

Feb 08, 2012 at 05:27 AM
J Andersen
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Camera safety in Nicaragua

Nicaragua a is very nice country (i was there in 2009 with 30D + L-lenses) - no need to worry, just use common sense. As someone pointed out - no need to go to Managua - just head straight to Granada from the airport.

Granada:

Feb 08, 2012 at 06:24 AM
artsupreme
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Camera safety in Nicaragua

I found a snapshot of my ride down in Nica. You'll want these in the big city...

True story - this van got washed away during a failed river crossing attempt.

Feb 08, 2012 at 07:09 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password