Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · D4 or D800. What justifies double the price?

eaglewolf
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · D4 or D800. What justifies double the price?

Well, since I can't afford the D4, the D800 will just have to do when I get around to a new camera. $6000 for a camera isn't something I can justify. (Okay, so I can't justify $3000 either, but just go with me on this one.) That said, I am a hobbiest and have to run this by my wife - I ain't going there! If money was no object, I would have both.

As for worth the extra money, I would expect the D4 to be more of a professional product than the D800, and going that extra distance to make it that way runs into the law of diminishing returns. You get so far with $3000, but to go a bit further it's gonna cost ya! Worth is relative to the individual. How that works for you is something I couldn't answer.

While I doubt I'll bring home either this year, I could see a D800 in my not too distant future. I think it would work well along side the D300 & D700, though the camera bag would be getting rather heavy!

David

Edited on Feb 07, 2012 at 07:48 PM · View previous versions

Feb 07, 2012 at 07:46 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · D4 or D800. What justifies double the price?

If ya shoot sh*t that moves in crappy light, a pro body like the D4's a no brainer. 11fps, native ISO12800, and a
shutter life of 400,000 cycles. If recent memory serves, the D3 was around twice the price of the D700...
with the same sensor Yeah, I'd much prefer a $5,000 D4 instead of $6K....but when I have the need for one, I'll get one.
One thing I don't need is more MP. Happy for the landscape guys with the announcement, however. The "twins" sound great!

Feb 07, 2012 at 07:48 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · D4 or D800. What justifies double the price?

- More of the magnesium alloy that is difficult to manufacture
- Low light photography. If you want to take a shot at some concert, for example, you
can't use your flash.... Some churches forbid to use flash as well, this camera will get
you by easily.
- The built-in CAT5 and LAN connectivity.
- Faster card (at least one)
- Vertical grip as already pointed out a million times.
- much faster FPS rate. Not needed? Fine, you don't have to use it...
- The life of a mirror is at, I think, 400,000 and normally cameras as D700 or D800 will
be at about 150,000
- The fact you can save image as TIFF. Now, I'm not sure if D800 can or can't do that but I have currently D7000 and it can't save it as TIFF. My old Nikon D3 had that feature and I love it because you don't have to deal with the WB info encryption when images are saved as TIFF. You need more memory but this isn't a problem anymore.

I would come up with another 20 (at least) reasons but I think these and the ones others described above is enough.

Feb 07, 2012 at 08:53 PM
eaglewolf
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · D4 or D800. What justifies double the price?

From Nikon's website for the D800:

File Format Still Images
JPEG: JPEG-Baseline Compliant with fine (approx 1:4), Normal (approx 1:8) or Basic (approx 1:16) Compression
NEF (RAW): lossless compressed 12 or 14 bit, lossless compressed, compressed or uncompressed
TIFF (RGB)
JPEG: JPEG-Baseline-Compliant; can be selected from Size Priority and Optimal Quality

Looks like we get TIFF with the D800 if they got the specs right.

Still, the D4 should be a stunner. Nikon generally keeps its pro client base happy - most are not looking go from the D3s to a D700, so the same will likely be the case for this pair. Different tools for different jobs. I just think that the D800 will be an incredible bargain if it lives up to the hype.

David

Feb 08, 2012 at 02:24 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.