Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Judging the Race: Bodies vs. Lenses

splathrop
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Judging the Race: Bodies vs. Lenses

Among those who think Canon bodies are being out-featured by Nikon, how many also think the Nikon lens collection has the edge? Let's break it down a bit:

Say whether you think Nikon has the lens edge for...

1. Weddings and Events

2. Stage Photography

3. Product Shots and Advertising

4. Fashion

5. Sports

6. Wildlife

7. Landscape

8. Journalism

9. Street Photography

10. Family Photos

11. Macro and Documentation

Please try to keep comments just on the lenses. Let body issues continue on other threads. If you think either company offers particular lenses that offer unique functionality—that the other does not rival at all—those might be interesting to hear about.

I am going to put this on both forums.

Feb 07, 2012 at 08:48 PM
vivisha
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Judging the Race: Bodies vs. Lenses

I think this is somewhat useful thread, but I would make it a poll where people rank the use of lenses according to product, macro, portraits, landscape and the rest of niche photography. This is exactly why I have both Canon and Nikon setups and use what works best for the task at hand.

Feb 07, 2012 at 10:22 PM
Ruahrc
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Judging the Race: Bodies vs. Lenses

Haven't kept up with Canon lenses but I'd have to say for #7 I think Canon has the edge simply due to their superior tilt-shift options.

6. Wildlife I'd also have to give the edge to Canon since they make a 800mm lens, and a seemingly wider array of "budget" telephotos available as well (400mm f5.6, 400mm DO, etc). I know Nikon has some "long guns" in the catalog, like an 800mm, 1200mm, and 1200-1700mm zoom, but are they still made?

I'm excited by the D800E and its prospects for landscape shooting but I wish Nikon would update their PC-E lens offerings. Namely include a >24mm variation, and update the movement mechanism to allow rotation of the tilt/shift axes.

Feb 07, 2012 at 11:15 PM
wil_ret
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Judging the Race: Bodies vs. Lenses

I agree with upgrading the 24 PC-e.
It's only just good enough on my D3x.

Feb 07, 2012 at 11:42 PM
lbloom
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Judging the Race: Bodies vs. Lenses

Ruahrc wrote:
Namely include a >24mm variation, and update the movement mechanism to allow rotation of the tilt/shift axes.

You probably mean < 24 mm. They already have a 45 and an 85.

Feb 07, 2012 at 11:46 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password