Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · I think Nikon has delivered

arbitrage
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · I think Nikon has delivered

As always, I find it intriguing at how much emotion people place in defending there current brand of camera. I've only been apart of the DSLR scene since late 2008 and not really invested into one side or the other until May 2010 when I purchased a number of expensive lenses and camera. I'd owned a Canon Powershot before all this and just naturally bought a Rebel. I didn't really research it, I just was more comfortable with Canon at the time. I then bought a 7D after doing more research as I found it to have more features that interested me than Nikon's offering at the time.
I'm seriously considering this D800 and I have no problem funding a Nikon system purchase even without selling my Canon gear.

The thing that interests me the most with the D800 is the crop modes that could give me almost 2 cameras in one. FF for landscapes and DX for wildlife either at 1.2x (similar to the 1d crop) or the full 1.5x crop. By going to 36MP, it is finally high enough to have a decent MP count at the full DX crop. Basically getting a D7000 for free with this camera. I also like the fact that the AF system is Nikon's top of the line system whereas my 5DmkII is really a single-point system for most applications. And the F8 autofocus is also very intriguing as I want to purchase a long F4 telephoto soon with 2x extenders.

What is holding me back from placing a preorder today is that I really don't want to work with 75MB files even for my landscape work unless I really came upon a scene that I knew was special and would want to print and print large. I rarely print (only so many walls to cover in a 2 bedroom apartment) so mostly display my images online at Smugmug and enter contests (don't need the 36MP for this). I also can't find an adequate replacement in the Nikon lineup for my beloved 100-400L. If I do switch over to Nikon I'd be excited for the 14-24 but other than that Canon to me seems to have the upper hand with lens selection. Especially as my next purchase, if I stay with Canon will be the 600F4MkII for my wildife and birding and the 17 and 24 TSE for my landscapes.

I try to forget the namebrand and just look at the product and I'll admit Nikon has a nice product. The problem with DSLR photography is that its not just about buying a new camera from the other side, its replacing an entire system. I just did an estimate and can sell my current camera/lenses for ~6600 but would need to spend about 9000 to get what I want in the Nikon world. For now I'll wait and see and keep shooting my 7D/5DmkII combo.

Feb 08, 2012 at 01:31 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.3 #2 · I think Nikon has delivered

I thought about it, and I don't think Nikon delivered.

Yes, the specs sound phenomenal.

But!

It has too slow of a frame rate for me. So you know how hen a company doesn't put exactly what everyone wants in a body, and there's complaining...count me in.

Feb 08, 2012 at 02:09 PM
Marco
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · I think Nikon has delivered

bobbytan wrote:
Fair enough, so I will play. I shoot a lot of landscapes and portraits. I don't shoot any sport and do very little wildlife photography. So the D800/D800E is looking very attractive to me ... especially since I do a lot of cropping too. But I am not ready to part with my 24L II and 85L II and 70-200L II .... yet. I am holding my breath for the 5DX or 5D III. If it has 24-ish megapixels with an excellent AF system and clean files with low noise, I will stick with Canon.

If the 5DX or 5D
...Show more

Exactly my position.

Feb 08, 2012 at 02:50 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · I think Nikon has delivered

Monito wrote:
You'll be glad to know that I won't be posting for a little while as I go to make some photos of the moonrise, cloud cover permitting.

chez wrote:
Got the moonrise yesterday. I think today it is too late, at least up here as it will be totally dark when it crests the mountains. Yesterday we had a very nice blue/purple sky as the moon rose.

Different lattitudes and longitudes (though I think the latitude is more crucial). Thus there was still some light in the sky as the moon rose. It rose ten minutes after sunset, but became visible over hills (no mountains) and horizon clouds about 15 minutes later.

A relatively successful shoot with some moonlight reflected on the clouds and mixed industrial / institutional lighting across water.

Chance brings me to a photo discussion near the same location so I will shoot the same location again tonight without moon and before and after sunset.

Feb 08, 2012 at 07:50 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.3 #5 · I think Nikon has delivered

Seeing threads like this....

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1084051

...seems to affirm the title of this very thread.

Feb 08, 2012 at 10:07 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.3 #6 · I think Nikon has delivered

Ye,s Nikon has delivered after 4 years. A bit late. High resolution FF with hdslr capabilities should've been included back in 2008. Not 2012.

Feb 08, 2012 at 11:34 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.3 #7 · I think Nikon has delivered

M Lucca wrote:
Ye,s Nikon has delivered after 4 years. A bit late. High resolution FF with hdslr capabilities should've been included back in 2008. Not 2012.

So Canon has never delivered then.

A class leading camera is not just FF with video my friend as it sounds like you're suggesting the 5dmk2 delivered in 2008. It did not. It was mile from delivering. Don't overlook all the other absolute pro/top end features that Nikon have included in the D800.

Feb 09, 2012 at 08:35 AM
SKumar25
• • •
p.3 #8 · I think Nikon has delivered

One thread of yours got locked and this one got booted out of the Canon forum, and you're still on about this Canon V Nikon nonsense.

How are you personally impacted by all this? You bought Nikon gear so you're part of team Nikon? You get paid by Nikon each time you put Canon down? Are you a shareholder?

If Canon (and other competitors) start making crap products or go bust, then the Nikon as you know it will not be the same.

This Nikon V Canon BS is so childish and daft.

Feb 09, 2012 at 09:22 AM
ecidi
• • • •
p.3 #9 · I think Nikon has delivered

Oh boy!! I have never seen so many canon fan boys and trolls show up in a Nikon thread. I am watching this thread with interest to see how many more canon shooters show up. i am still counting!

Feb 09, 2012 at 11:16 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · I think Nikon has delivered

ecidi wrote:
Oh boy!! I have never seen so many canon fan boys and trolls show up in a Nikon thread. I am watching this thread with interest to see how many more canon shooters show up. i am still counting!

Your Nikon fanboi troll is the one you must blame. The OP posted this in the Canon forum with the explicitly stated purpose (stated in the Nikon forum) of trolling. Fred rightly took exception to trolling and slapped ct8282 down by moving it to the Nikon section.

Feb 09, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

SKumar25
• • •
p.3 #11 · I think Nikon has delivered

ecidi wrote:

Whilst you wait for Canon trolls and fanboys to show up at least check out the OP's posting history for the last couple of days (Fred may have deleted some of his posts)...

Feb 09, 2012 at 12:15 PM
nikt
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · I think Nikon has delivered

Jeff wrote:
Fred, thanks for moving the garbage where it belongs.

What, the Nikon forum is where garbage belongs? Thats not very nice Jeff.

Feb 09, 2012 at 12:51 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.3 #13 · I think Nikon has delivered

@ Skumar25 & Monito

I started a thread saying 'I think Nikon really delivered', which they have. I then made reference to another thread started by a Canon user who is considering selling up $15000 of gear to change to Nikon, simply to re-affirm that 'Nikon really delivered'. Once again a Canon user, M Lucca, felt the need to get all uptight and defensive, on the Nikon board I might add, and try to shoot my statement down. My statement was harmless, innocent and not aimed at anyone.

For someone to consider making such a significant system change demonstrates that Nikon has done a grand job with the D800. I wasn't saying that to offend or tease anyone, was merely making a valid point.

Please don't let it get to you so that you feel you have to come of here and rage on with this Nikon v Canon argument. I was simply saying Nikon delivered and the very fact that many people are seeing the D800 as the heart of the system they want to use moving forward demonstrates this well.

I didn't come on here and post, 'SKumar25 and Monito are pr*cks' did I? I didn't criticize either of you or aim any sort of malicious statements at you so why do you continue to feel the need to come on here and shoot me down??

Feb 09, 2012 at 03:39 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.3 #14 · I think Nikon has delivered

Just setting the record straight, ct8282.

You started this thread on the Canon board. Then you wrote on the Nikon board: "I dropped in a quick thread to get people further riled...."

Fred Miranda did not like your trolling one bit. So he locked that thread and moved this one to the Nikon board. Now people are posting in this thread thinking that it was always in this forum, so the misunderstanding over that point needs to be corrected.

Feb 09, 2012 at 03:56 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.3 #15 · I think Nikon has delivered

Monito wrote:
Just setting the record straight, ct8282.

You started this thread on the Canon board. Then you wrote on the Nikon board:

Fred Miranda did not like your trolling one bit. So he locked that thread and moved this one to the Nikon board. Now people are posting in this thread thinking that it was always in this forum, so the misunderstanding over that point needs to be corrected.

Oh, sorry. My bad. I wasn't told you were the FM police, and that you were on a personal mission to clear up all the misunderstandings on this forum.

I would very much welcome anyone to look back over my thread and post history as they will see that I am a very considered articulate individual who has started many interesting threads and has added lots of good stuff to other peoples threads. I take the time to comment on peoples pictures and give advice, and I often post my own pictures and seek critique from those far more experienced than myself.

You have to accept that the 'gear' boards will largely be filled with discussion on new product launches as, lets face it, we are all big kids when it comes to our camera gear and being a technology based industry we all like to talk about what the latest and greatest is.

I have said it many times before and I will say it again now. I started a legitimate thread on the Canon board, which happened to be this thread, with a legitimate inoffensive question asking the Canon peeps what they thought of the new D800. It was instantly greeted with a Canon user saying 'Yawn'. I had done nothing wrong and was merely looking for open, public, honest responses. Isn't that what a forum is for?

As you can appreciate this rude, blunt and pointless response 'riled' me if you must know and so I felt the need to come on the Nikon board and have a 'mini jibe' at the Canon board. If you look at the threads in time line order you will see that what I am saying is the truth. If you want my honest opinion you should be looking at your fellow Canon users as the instigators and not spending your time waiting for me to post so you can just keep shooting me down.

What is my crime sir? Does it deserve these ongoing attacks. I have not attacked or criticized any individual at all, including yourself and SKumar25 who was indeed kind enough to wish me happy birthday yesterday and now also feels the need to hound me.

I ask you both kindly to just let it go. You don't have to prove anything to anyone on here.
If you do wish to discuss this further please PM me so we can make up, have a group hug and just get on with it, as I'm finding this all just a little silly and boring now.

Feb 09, 2012 at 04:01 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.3 #16 · I think Nikon has delivered

Psssttt OP, you were booted out of Canon and now the Nikon folks don't seem to take a liking to you either.

Looks like...

Feb 09, 2012 at 06:12 PM
Peter Burian
• •
p.3 #17 · I think Nikon has delivered

They did not actually remove the AA filter from the D800 but nullified its effect; but yeah, the end result is the same.

I discuss the AA filter issue - and the issue of whether the pixels are now TOO small - in my preview at http://www.marketnews.ca/LatestNewsHeadlines/Preview:NikonD800andD800E36.3-MegapixelDSLRs.html

Feb 09, 2012 at 06:20 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.3 #18 · I think Nikon has delivered

ct8282 wrote:
@ Skumar25 & Monito

I started a thread saying 'I think Nikon really delivered', which they have. I then made reference to another thread started by a Canon user who is considering selling up $15000 of gear to change to Nikon, simply to re-affirm that 'Nikon really delivered'. Once again a Canon user, M Lucca, felt the need to get all uptight and defensive, on the Nikon board I might add, and try to shoot my statement down. My statement was harmless, innocent and not aimed at anyone.

For someone to consider making such a significant system change demonstrates that Nikon has
...Show more

People are annoyed with the disingenuousness of your posting behavior of late. It stands out particularly well, given your foolish public concession that you were actually trying to "rile people up" by starting a thread that you now claim was innocently soliciting opinions. And even if what you say about your posting agenda is true, what does it matter to you what the Canon board or anyone else things about the D800? You think Nikon has "delivered?" Good for you... go buy a D800.

Arka C.

Feb 10, 2012 at 09:37 AM
afm901
• •
p.3 #19 · I think Nikon has delivered

Peter Burian wroteI discuss the AA filter issue - and the issue of whether the pixels are now TOO small - in my preview at http://www.marketnews.ca/LatestNewsHeadlines/Preview:NikonD800andD800E36.3-MegapixelDSLRs.html

The D800 does not have 3 times the resolution of the D700. It has 1.73 times the resolution. It has 3 times as many pixels. A very significant difference.

You might want to correct that in your article.

Scott

Feb 10, 2012 at 09:48 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password