Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · AI-S ED Glass primes with..

douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · AI-S ED Glass primes with..

D800.

Anyone conjecture on how well these might work with the new D800?
I've got several focal lengths in this glass and was wondering, before I get too
riled about the new body.
Douglas

Feb 07, 2012 at 06:20 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · AI-S ED Glass primes with..

No need for ED glass.

My 16/3.5 AI fisheye, 105/2.5 AIS, and 200/4 AIS (all non-ED) could stand a big increase in pixels to pull more resolution out. My D700 at 12MP does not quite have enough resolution when these lenses are stopped down just a tad and will definitely help out with the wide open shots.

Sure the D800 will show their faults more, but I can always scale back to 12MP if I want to!

I think much of the old glass will hold up just fine - heck, even some of the newer AF glass will have issues with 36MP.

I should add that I will likely get a D800 sometime in the future, but I'll have to wait for the price to come down a bit, which will likely be a long time. Unless Nikon comes out with a cheaper full frame body that is D700-like, I'll make due with the D700 for a while more.

It would be nice if they came out with a D700s - maybe 24MP with higher high ISO DR and video for $2500 or so . . . . one can dream cant I?

Feb 07, 2012 at 06:33 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · AI-S ED Glass primes with..

douter wrote:
D800.

Anyone conjecture on how well these might work with the new D800?
I've got several focal lengths in this glass and was wondering, before I get too
riled about the new body.
Douglas

If your profile is accurate Douglas, you've not yet had the experience of shooting with those MF lenses on an FX sensor. John made the switch from a D300 to a D700 and was immediately smitten. I've only used these lenses on a D700 and found them so inspiring that I started a conversation on the subject that has been the fastest moving thread on the Nikon forum for a year and a half. And I just pre-ordered the D800 so I can take my favorite MF lenses for a run on a 36 megapixel sensor. I have no doubt these lenses will be challenged, but I'm reminded that they were designed for full frame film cameras. They may not have the latest coatings, but my guess is the best of these lenses will do just fine on the new camera.

You might want to check out how FMers are using these lenses right now. You're welcome to join us...

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Feb 07, 2012 at 06:44 PM
Chris Ventura
• • •
p.1 #4 · AI-S ED Glass primes with..

It would be nice if they came out with a D700s - maybe 24MP with higher high ISO DR and video for $2500 or so . . . . one can dream cant I?

I don't think you are off the mark at all. Look at the D7000 for example. Where does the next version of this camera go? With the D400 still missing in action, I for one think the D7000 is the *new* high end crop camera. It's coming up on two years old. What will they do with the D8000? Faster FPS.. larger buffer.. MP bump... etc.

I bring this up.. because in my mind, that leaves the D400 well... in no mans land, hence an affordable full frame. I still think it's possible. D400 with the same specs as the D800, with a full frame sensor like the D4.

People might call me crazy, but Nikon just obsoleted the D3X with a camera that costs a fraction of the price.

Feb 07, 2012 at 07:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

leighton w
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · AI-S ED Glass primes with..

Chris Ventura wrote:
I don't think you are off the mark at all. Look at the D7000 for example. Where does the next version of this camera go? With the D400 still missing in action, I for one think the D7000 is the *new* high end crop camera. It's coming up on two years old. What will they do with the D8000? Faster FPS.. larger buffer.. MP bump... etc.

I bring this up.. because in my mind, that leaves the D400 well... in no mans land, hence an affordable full frame. I still think it's possible. D400 with the same specs as the
...Show more

I wouldn't call you crazy. I for one would love to see Nikon do something along these lines.

Feb 07, 2012 at 07:05 PM
markhout
• •
p.1 #6 · AI-S ED Glass primes with..

CGrindahl wrote:
I've only used these lenses on a D700 and found them so inspiring that I started a conversation on the subject that has been the fastest moving thread on the Nikon forum for a year and a half. And I just pre-ordered the D800 so I can take my favorite MF lenses for a run on a 36 megapixel sensor.

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Looking forward to bolt my 28mm/2.0 AIS and of course the classic 105/2.5 AIS to the D800! That Manual Focus forum topic will hit 1 million views in no-time.

Feb 07, 2012 at 07:11 PM
sandycrane
• • •
p.1 #7 · AI-S ED Glass primes with..

I hereby invent the term micro-bokeh. The transition of image in a state of non-resolution.

Feb 08, 2012 at 12:55 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password