Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Mundane, no subject...

Bob Jarman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mundane, no subject...

but appreciate any comments on rendition of the sky.

Regards,

Bob

NIKON D2X    24mm    f/5.6    1/1000s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Feb 07, 2012 at 01:13 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mundane, no subject...

Perhaps some highlight dodging and shadow burning to add more snap to the clouds?

Feb 07, 2012 at 08:07 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mundane, no subject...

It is a nice cloud shot, but the underexposure of the foreground spoils it for me. A normal foreground would contrast the sky more effectively. In person I'd see the light as being flat and note the absence of specular highlights but the planes would still be perceived as white in the 245-250 eye dropper range. Also the crop / composition of the planes in the lower right corner looks arbitrary, as if you had your head in the clouds and lost track of what was happening on the bottom of the shot when taking it.

Feb 07, 2012 at 01:29 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mundane, no subject...

Auntipode & cgardner,

You are exactly correct, my head was in the clouds totally ignoring the foreground...actually looking for some backgrounds should I ever cross the line of altering images on a grand scale.

Will try to improve foreground...I'd like to see the planes closer to white than the current tone...an oppotunity for some HDR play.

Thanks,

Bob

Feb 07, 2012 at 02:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mundane, no subject...

Adjustments with a couple screen layers (one wasn't enough) and a bit of USM to crisp things up: 500,.2,0 followed by Fade USM (luminosity) @ 55%

In addition to lightening the foreground I lightened the center of the clouds, opening the mask on the screen layer in the shape of a funnel cloud reaching down under the darker clouds in the upper right to the parked planes in the corner, trying to create a contrast defined eye track to follow between foreground and sky through the middle of the photo between the \\ // pattern of the clouds.

Feb 07, 2012 at 02:34 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mundane, no subject...

Well, as you said the intent was to grab some nifty clouds to drop in another photo later. Play if you like, but I wouldn't worry too much with trying to correct the entire image.

If you plan to make a sky catalog, be sure to notate the details of each photo, including time of day, date and compass position. That way you can match to your needs and come up with a more realistic looking composite.

The architectural photographer Julius Schulman had hundreds of negatives of sky and lawns, since he often had to shoot before landscaping was finished.

Feb 07, 2012 at 02:35 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mundane, no subject...

dmacmillan wrote:
Well, as you said the intent was to grab some nifty clouds to drop in another photo later. Play if you like, but I wouldn't worry too much with trying to correct the entire image.

If you plan to make a sky catalog, be sure to notate the details of each photo, including time of day, date and compass position. That way you can match to your needs and come up with a more realistic looking composite.

The architectural photographer Julius Schulman had hundreds of negatives of sky and lawns, since he often had to shoot before landscaping was finished.

Great tips Doug - thanks! I would never have thought to keep track of details to match images.

Regards,

Bob

Feb 07, 2012 at 10:52 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mundane, no subject...

I like Chuck's variation.
Scott

Feb 07, 2012 at 10:56 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password