Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · NEC Monitors: 24-inch or 27-inch?

splathrop
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · NEC Monitors: 24-inch or 27-inch?

Other than the obvious issues of size and price, does anyone know of any reason to prefer the PA 241 or the PA 271? Or are they equivalents, but different size? I'm thinking of buying one or the other, along with the Spectraview II, and running it on my Mac Pro using the NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 graphics card that came with it.

One other question. If I want to keep using my existing 9-year-old 20-inch Apple cinema display, along with the new NEC, do I need to add a second graphics card? I want to put Lightroom on the new larger screen, and run other stuff at the same time on the existing monitor. Any wrinkles I need to look out for?

Feb 06, 2012 at 04:49 PM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · NEC Monitors: 24-inch or 27-inch?

you'd have to take a peek at the output side of the video card. does it have a 2nd DVI/VGA port? my iMac which has the GT130 did have a mini-displayport so I'd guess yours does too.

I have the 241 and love it. the 271 was getting a bit rich for my blood

Feb 06, 2012 at 05:14 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · NEC Monitors: 24-inch or 27-inch?

Check out the dots per inch of each monitor and the screen size ratio.

If the dpi gets too low then the screen will look a bit too chunky, which is disappointing when buying an up-market monitor. Obviously the viewing distance will make a difference to your perception of what makes a good dpi. Chances are that they will not quote a dpi value and you'll have to calculate it from the screen size and the resolution.

Avoid a 16:9 ratio if you can. 16:10 is generally more useful.

From OWC (www.macsales.com) you can get a NewerTech USB to DVI adapter that allows you to use external screens on a USB 2.0 port. Perhaps not so good for game playing but should be quite ok for photographic and office work. A second graphics card (if needed) might well be better but the USB approach allows more monitors to be used.

You might find that you want to use Lr on two screens at once, with one for the Library module grid view and the other for full-size editing work. I have not had the chance to try it yet and it may may or may not be practical, but it's worth checking it out if you have two large screens on hand.

- Alan

Feb 07, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

yauyi
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · NEC Monitors: 24-inch or 27-inch?

I was comparing the PA241W vs the PA271W and decided to get the 27", the major difference is I hear more complaint about light bleeding/tinting issue on 24(still not nearly as severe as other IPS panels out there though) and none on 27. The 24" has less real estate to work with, plus...if you use your monitor to watch movies then the 24" 16:10 is going to have more black bar on top/bottom, which can be distracting to some. Get the SV version, the calibration is a must have, the price difference between the two isn't too big of a gap either. I bought the PA271W-SV from BH for $1439 shipped, once you register on NEC website they will give you a free hood(usually cost $100) for your monitor. whatever you do stay away from the Dell U2711, U3011 or U2410, they are equivalent to Hyundai in comparison to a BMW (NEC). You can read about all the complaints on Dell U2711 either on neweggs, amazon, or from loads of user here:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1464591&page=73

You can read more detail review of the PA271W and PA241W over here:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/nec_spectraview_reference_271.htm
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/nec_p241w.htm

Feb 08, 2012 at 01:50 AM
splathrop
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · NEC Monitors: 24-inch or 27-inch?

Thanks to all. I decided to go with the NEC 27 SV. Looking forward to getting back to a color managed workflow after 9 years using one of the original Apple cinema displays. That one started out pretty strong, but doesn't do the job on color any more. Still a very pleasing matte screen display for other uses.

Feb 08, 2012 at 11:01 PM
Sharona
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · NEC Monitors: 24-inch or 27-inch?

I have ordered the 24-inch version - I'll check in when I receive it if you'd like; I'd like to hear about the 27-inch as well. mine is on back order though, so have no idea when I'll get it. Wound up being twice what I wanted to pay for a panel but I too, need a properly managed color flow as I start printing.

Feb 09, 2012 at 12:35 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password