Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Advice on my walkabout lenses for Euro-vacation

Lethal_weapon
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Advice on my walkabout lenses for Euro-vacation

She who must be obeyed has laid out the itinerary for our vacation this year and it looks like a non bird (except for some marsh Flamingos...) trip with lots of scenery and architecture.
I am mostly setup for sports and Birds and exvcept for my trusty Sigma 50 1.4 and Canon 28-70 2.8, I am short end lacking.
Just selling some other lightly used lens and want to make a good investment on a wide (I have a 5dMKII and 7D) angle lens that will do justice to the Southern France and Italian coast lines.
Been checking a bit on the Carl Weiss 18mm and 21mm Distagon lens and the reviews were very good. I had a canon 17-35 2.8 and 17-40 I used to like and can pick up from forum but am wondering if its worth breaking the bank for the CW offerings?
Not sure if 2.8 is neccessary for Landscape and Architecture shots as well....
The pictures I see from the CW are stunning to say the least and MF is no issue apparently.
Some samples from FM members would be appreciated!
Also wondering if its worth getting a Canon 28-300 or 100-400 for a lens with a little length as well (in case a bird does come by...:-)

Thanks

Ben

Feb 06, 2012 at 04:25 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Advice on my walkabout lenses for Euro-vacation

The Carl Zeiss (CZ) Distagon 21mm f/2.8 is absolutely fantastic. It'll need some distortion adjustment in PP for architecture, but PTLens can take care of that.

The Canon 28-300L IS is a very nice lens, but it's stinking heavy! I just sold mine, because I'm more of a two-lens, two-camera person. I bought a new 100-400L in January this year, and I'm very happy with it. For travel where I don't mind lugging around a bit of extra kit, I'll take a Samyang UMC 14/2.8, Distagon 21/2.8, 24-105L IS, and 100-400L IS.

Feb 06, 2012 at 05:15 PM
Tenn.Jer
• • •
p.1 #3 · Advice on my walkabout lenses for Euro-vacation

If you're just not a wide-angle sort of guy (like me), consider renting; that way you
Could have almost any lens you can imagine without having to break up your
collection...

Feb 06, 2012 at 10:00 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #4 · Advice on my walkabout lenses for Euro-vacation

The 28-300 is a great lens but it's too big and heavy for most people as a carry around all day lens. I know some people here love them, but honestly, after the novelty wore off mine stayed home more often than I took it with me so I sold it.

I loved the 100-400. Wish I hadn't sold it. Oh well.

For wide angle vacation of landscapes etc, the 17-40L is hard to beat and generally has good resale value so you're unlikely to lose money if you pick up a used one and then sell it again later.

Feb 06, 2012 at 10:09 PM
carrg1954
• • •
p.1 #5 · Advice on my walkabout lenses for Euro-vacation

hi
have a look here http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1078272
nice images with 35l.
I'm going but not until April 2013, but expect 17-40 and 28-70 with something at 1.4 to fit into my pocket will be the limit of what I want to carry around.

I may take along 70-200 but that will only come out while touring the Rhine relaxing on a cruise. happy trails...

Feb 07, 2012 at 09:14 AM
elkhornsun
• • •
p.1 #6 · Advice on my walkabout lenses for Euro-vacation

For Europe the 24-105mm f4 IS on your 5D would be a great combination. A 17-40mm or fisheye lens can be useful for interiors as well as having off camera flash capability. In a dark cathedral or other interior space an off camera flash is much more useful than a tripod.

Feb 09, 2012 at 08:23 AM
slrl0ver
• •
p.1 #7 · Advice on my walkabout lenses for Euro-vacation

Dumb advice: Whatever lenses you buy or rent, check everything out a solid month to two months before you go, making sure focus is correct, etc.

- slrl0ver

Feb 09, 2012 at 08:50 AM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #8 · Advice on my walkabout lenses for Euro-vacation

I thought about going on vacation w/ a 35, 50, and 85/100/135 as my three lenses, with one of them being a macro. If you do go that route, please let me know how it goes.

Feb 09, 2012 at 09:13 AM
Frogfish
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Advice on my walkabout lenses for Euro-vacation

The only problem with WA lenses is they tend to 'push the subject away' and so I don't use my WA lenses (Pentax 15 Ltd and Sigma 10-20) for landscape shots. Opting instead for something that will give you a more natural perspective and then stitch (3-8 shots, Autopano Giga does this easily and beautifully) - on APS-C I use either the Zeiss 28, Pentax 43 Ltd or Zeiss 85.

Feb 09, 2012 at 02:07 PM
Lethal_weapon
• • •
p.1 #10 · Advice on my walkabout lenses for Euro-vacation

Thanks everyone!
I went out and got a Samyang 14 2.8 and a Rokinon 85 1.4
Reviews for them are pretty good (if you get a good copy....)
Just trying to decide on my choice for a possible longer lens and am now wishing I did not sell the 70-300L IS....

Feb 09, 2012 at 05:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #11 · Advice on my walkabout lenses for Euro-vacation

You sure you want to use a rokinon 85mm on your vacation? I'm not sure I'd want to manual focus all the time

Feb 09, 2012 at 05:39 PM
ragsn_old_iron

p.1 #12 · Advice on my walkabout lenses for Euro-vacation

Good choices on the Samyang/Rok, we both should have kept that 400/5.6 though! I did a month holiday in southern France and shot mostly with the 35mm on full frame - you'll want the polarizer. The 14mm is fantastic on crop/FF/ and especially on IR converted bodies, and look to add PTlens to your software collection for the 14mm. I would have kept the 14mm, but the 17 TS-E is too close to justify.

Feb 09, 2012 at 05:43 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Advice on my walkabout lenses for Euro-vacation

datousteve wrote:
You sure you want to use a rokinon 85mm on your vacation? I'm not sure I'd want to manual focus all the time

You've really gotta love MF if you're using it on vacation. I use MF quite often, but for quick vacation snaps I find AF is the lazier way to go. A vacation should be relaxing.

Feb 09, 2012 at 05:45 PM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Advice on my walkabout lenses for Euro-vacation

I would have gotten a 24-105 f/4 IS. The IS will come in real handy in low light, and the FL range is really good too.

Feb 09, 2012 at 06:10 PM
shroud72

p.1 #15 · Advice on my walkabout lenses for Euro-vacation

I was in the south of France (Nice and Cannes) and Monte Carlo last September and shot just about everything with a Canon 50mm f/1.8 and Canon 100L Macro which I used as a short telephoto lens. The coast line between Nice and Monte Carlo was spectacular and I recommend driving it instead of taking the much more expensive toll roads and tunnels which you donīt see anything. Lots of places to stop along the coastal roads for photos.
Only time that I really used my ultra wide (Canon EF-S 10-22) was in Montpellier at night to get the full atmosphere for a few shots.
I didnīt really see any birds to warrant taking the 100-400, but there is a natural wetland park south of Arles that would be good if you like wildlife shots.

Feb 09, 2012 at 08:35 PM
Lethal_weapon
• • •
p.1 #16 · Advice on my walkabout lenses for Euro-vacation

Thanks Shroud72!
I have my Canon 28-0 2.8 or my "lazy" moments!
I bought the 85 1.4 for fun (not my vacation, my bad!)
I have a Sigma 50 1,4 for those fun Church shots with no flash...
Not sure what to do about the longer end though....

Feb 09, 2012 at 08:50 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Advice on my walkabout lenses for Euro-vacation

I'd be inclined to take the 28-300L IS for FF. And I like the 15-85 IS on crop. I doubt I would take two DSLR's, especially of different sensor sizes. Maybe a 5D as a backup. Then a G-series or S-series for convenience.

I don't know why people would shun carrying the 28-300, then feel inclined to use the 100-400? They are basically the same weight, lens design and size. I want "one lens" convenience when I travel, and the 100-400 won't work for me.

For a smaller, feature-packed lens, it's hard to beat the 24-105L IS on FF. Hard to go wrong there. Maybe one fast lens in addition.

Good luck, and happy planning!

Feb 09, 2012 at 10:14 PM
JakeB.
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Advice on my walkabout lenses for Euro-vacation

I wouldn't want to carry a 28-300L on vacation, and I wouldn't want to carry a 100-400L either. But, I'm not a huge fan of zoom lenses anyway...

Since you picked up the 14mm, maybe take that, the 24-70, and I would think a 135L would round out a nice kit. Or, a 70-200 f/4L would complete a nice light kit with great range.
I went on a whirlwind trip of Italy and France a few years ago and my kit was 40D, 10-22mm, Sig 30 f/1.4, & 85 f/1.8... The set can be found on my flickr linked below for anyone interested.

Feb 10, 2012 at 02:26 AM
splathrop
• • •
p.1 #19 · Advice on my walkabout lenses for Euro-vacation

Agree with the 70-200 f/4 suggestion at the long end, or the 135L, maybe with an extender. Mine does extremely well with the 1.4 extender II.

Didn't get to the thread in time to urge the case for the the Canon 35L or the Zeiss 35mm f/1.4. Indoors and out, portraits and scenery, extremely versatile lenses which I always end up using more than any other focal length—despite constantly thinking I like other focal lengths better. A fast lens with great IQ at the 35mm focal length is just incredibly useful. Tell me I'm going to be shooting a variety of subjects, and I can only have one lens, and it is always going to be a fast 35mm.

Feb 10, 2012 at 03:13 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password