Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2012 · Canon 24-70L II

nreeque
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Canon 24-70L II

adrianb wrote:
What really cracks me up is how some of you complain about 82mm filters that they're expensive...

Jesus...I never understood the logic behind purchasing L lenses and then moaning about some filters...

If I pay 1500-2000 $ on a lens, it won't kill me to buy a 100$ decent filter...I'd rather get the 100$ filter scratched/bumped rather than the front glass element of the lens.

I don't want to argue with somebody ,but perhaps I'm missing the bigger pictures, and some of you (those who acquire L lenses) are working for 300 $ /month and then....obviously.....the filters would seem expensive.. C MON PEOPLEEEE......

If your thinking UV filter an extra $100 wont make a diff unless you already have a 77 UV from canon itself that costs $70 which you will also have to sell and lose money on.

For your consideration, imagine you have invested $500+ on thread on 77mm filters in the ND variety .3 .6 .9 as well as a #110 10 stop filter to allow for control on sunny days as well as special effects etc. Include the price of the adapters if you want to use those 82mm filters on other lenses which now wont allow for the use of a factory hood. And the fact that you make your bread and butter images with the current 24-70mm using those filters. You now have to go out and sell your filter set and pay 82mm filter set prices which just for ND make a huge dent. Also, nothing but the biggest of square filters and holders cover the new lens so more swapping if you dont already own Cokin X or Lee System.

So something as simple as a thread change in one lens can amount to $300-$450+ on top of the upgrade price of say $600-800 for the lens itself. I know it sounds weird to think of an upgrade by the accessories it does not have in common with your current gear but to some it might sound like a bad investment.

Feb 07, 2012 at 07:11 AM
watkinssr
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Canon 24-70L II

Sam tran wrote:
Darn it! no IS, I will wait for 24-70 MK III...

Seriously. Not that I could afford it, I'm still using a 28-70 2.8L...but that is the one thing everyone really wanted in the new one.

Feb 07, 2012 at 07:31 AM
adrianb
• • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Canon 24-70L II

nreeque wrote:
So something as simple as a thread change in one lens can amount to $300-$450+ on top of the upgrade price of say $600-800 for the lens itself. I know it sounds weird to think of an upgrade by the accessories it does not have in common with your current gear but to some it might sound like a bad investment.

C'mon man, you're just justifying your own personal opinion on the 82mm thread...

I used to have the 50 1.4 and 24-70. All my lenses have UV filters on them (either hoya or B+W).
I also had a 77mm hoya hd pro slim circular polarizer (used on 24-70).

I was gonna say that for a photographer, the most important thing should be the IQ, not whining that he can't use his old filters or that he has to buy new filters for his new lens...

To be frank, I can't see any other use than UV or ND filters on a lens like 24-70...
Some might have a series of 12 filters stacked up....for their lenses, but the way I see it, you can manage with UV and ND/CIR-POL.

Would you rather they kept the 77mm thread so you can use your filters or the added IQ and the new 82mm thread? Because certainly the 82mm thread is not for aesthetics purposes...

I've seen some strange bitchin' on this forum....excuse my french.... and this filter issue is only amusing me....

I wouldn't spend on 200-300-400 $ on filters for a lens which now costs 1300$ on bh (24-70 L)
But that's just me, and I have no 'beef' with somebody who does spend that amount of money on filters...

I'm sure that if they would have come up with a 600g 24-70 2.8 L IS and STILL had the 82mm filter thread,people would have said "oh,canon failed again,now we have get new filters , oh my what 'is' we going to do "

Edited on Feb 07, 2012 at 08:26 AM · View previous versions

Feb 07, 2012 at 08:22 AM
alundeb
• • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Canon 24-70L II

timbop wrote:
You miss the point - an f/1.x zoom is highly impractical so you need an f/2.8 with IS to compensate. If your shooting style - such as weddings requires flexibility then primes are a problem. Since you can get an f/1.4 24, 35, and 50 - a 28/2.8IS is redundant. It will be cheaper than the 1.4L, but not by a whole lot.

Fast primes do not replace IS. I have used the 35 1.4L and the 17-55 2.8 IS alongside for years and am very familiar with the tradeoffs. I often picked the zoom becuase of the possibility to use slower shutter speeds and maintain a sufficient DOF. Regarding price, the new 24 2.8 IS may seem expensive, but the introduction price of the 24 1.4 L II was twice as much. So I don't think I have missed any point.

Feb 07, 2012 at 08:23 AM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Canon 24-70L II

Still an obnoxious extending barrel

Feb 07, 2012 at 01:17 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Canon 24-70L II

125g lighter is nice and MTF charts look a lot better, but I'm guessing $1999 and at that price I'd be more interested in the Tamron and guess it'll be a lot cheaper even with VC which is a killer feature. Still I'll wait for a head-to-head and pricing. But I need to replace my fungus laden 28-75 ASAP.

I'm not worried about 82mm filters, already have a CPL for the 24 TS-E mk II.

Too bad they didn't announce a new 35 f/2 IS at the same time as the 24 and 28.

Feb 07, 2012 at 01:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

markymarc
• •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Canon 24-70L II

My guess with all the other brands releasing an 24-70 IS that Canon, in 2 to 3 years, will release an IS version of this lense. The MTFs are so impressive I bet they figured they could stagger the releases and garner more profit.

The fact that the small primes have IS is an huge indicator that it was intentionally left out in this release of the 24-70 IIL.

Feb 07, 2012 at 01:53 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Canon 24-70L II

Canon won't update this lens for another 5-10 years IMO.

Feb 07, 2012 at 01:57 PM
seam4444
• •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Canon 24-70L II

Nikon's 24-70 doesn't have IS. It seems like Canon missed an opportunity here.

If it has a similar increase in image quality as the 70-200 IS II, it will be a winner.

Feb 07, 2012 at 02:02 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Canon 24-70L II

Pixel Perfect wrote:
125g lighter is nice and MTF charts look a lot better, but I'm guessing $1999 and at that price I'd be more interested in the Tamron and guess it'll be a lot cheaper even with VC which is a killer feature. Still I'll wait for a head-to-head and pricing. But I need to replace my fungus laden 28-75 ASAP.

I'm not worried about 82mm filters, already have a CPL for the 24 TS-E mk II.

Too bad they didn't announce a new 35 f/2 IS at the same time as the 24 and 28.

Good points - Tamron comes with the VC/image stabilization. I wouldn't be surprised if the Tamron's 24-70 is optically very similar quality-wise. We will know soon I am sure.

Personally I will keep my 24-70/2.8 I. I never felt it lacks something.

Feb 07, 2012 at 02:14 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Canon 24-70L II

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Canon won't update this lens for another 5-10 years IMO.

They wont have to. They just add an additional one. That worked fine with 70-200 4.0 , 2.8 and 100 Macro. People can decide and they get both. Those who want to spend the money on the best lens and those who want to get the second best and save some money.

Feb 07, 2012 at 02:46 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password