Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · D7K focussing issue

Tim Ashton
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D7K focussing issue

I am most reluctant to post this here because all the regular trolls will be out and about telling us how crap the D7K focus module is and it is a pain in the whatsit to give them any thing to feed on

BUT

shooting as a second for a friends wedding on Saturday, D7K, 17-55 2.8

Outside in even light and shadow sun mix 100%
Inside with Flash in church and reception 100%
Any shots inside of three feet from subject, so spot on sharp it is dangerous

But shooting the bride, inside in front of a plate glass window against a bright and white courtyard it was suddenly back focussing by some 4 to 6 inches> Missing her face and focussing on to her veil just behind her head.

Contrast on face should not have been a prob as she is Italian with dark eyes against pale skin

Any ideas?? Nikt!!! You sold me the camera. Yr call

Tim

Feb 06, 2012 at 12:38 PM
ausemmao
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D7K focussing issue

Standard focus mode questions (AF-S/C/A, how many points etc) - can easily see that happening if you have too wide a focus area selected.

Feb 06, 2012 at 01:00 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D7K focussing issue

Some of the D7000's have a serious back focus issue, mine did for both my lens (105 macro vr & 50 1.4 G). Once I did a Microadjust it went away and now happy with the results, both are adjusted to -12, so you gotta be pretty aggresive with the adjustment. Do some MA and some indoor ruler type testing.

Ya it can get pretty scary getting those results at first, but def. do your testing prior to using it again in a serious capacity like weddings

Phil

Feb 06, 2012 at 02:37 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D7K focussing issue

That's too bad, and sorry to hear. Perhaps your camera needs some calibration? I have never experienced back focusing on my D7000, and it has always performed well for me.

Feb 06, 2012 at 04:08 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D7K focussing issue

jojomon11 wrote:
Some of the D7000's have a serious back focus issue, mine did for both my lens (105 macro vr & 50 1.4 G). Once I did a Microadjust it went away and now happy with the results, both are adjusted to -12, so you gotta be pretty aggresive with the adjustment. Do some MA and some indoor ruler type testing.

Ya it can get pretty scary getting those results at first, but def. do your testing prior to using it again in a serious capacity like weddings

Phil

adjustments in camera?

Feb 06, 2012 at 04:09 PM
Tim Ashton
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D7K focussing issue

ausemmao wrote:
Standard focus mode questions (AF-S/C/A, how many points etc) - can easily see that happening if you have too wide a focus area selected.

AF-S. Focus lock release. 21 point. Operator selected focus point. Placing active focus point on either left or right eye.

T

Feb 06, 2012 at 10:51 PM
Tim Ashton
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D7K focussing issue

jojomon11 wrote:

Phil

Big worry Phil, is the primary shooter was using a pair of 5D2 s

Tim

Feb 06, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D7K focussing issue

Tim, AF-C/ C-L is what ya want. I'll send ya some 'monkey tweaks...no worries.

Feb 06, 2012 at 11:08 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D7K focussing issue

Hey TM what is the C-L you mention? I jumped on the D7000 AF problem wagon but after reading about user error & technique I have since gone back to 0 fine tune for my fast primes. My zooms were fine. I am using AF-C with 9 point & continuous focus shutter release.

Feb 07, 2012 at 01:06 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D7K focussing issue

Continuous Low...usually at ~4fps for slow movin' peeps and fast primes. Lil burst never lets ya down
for those "must have" shots, Mike.

Feb 07, 2012 at 01:14 AM
ausemmao
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D7K focussing issue

Tim Ashton wrote:
AF-S. Focus lock release. 21 point. Operator selected focus point. Placing active focus point on either left or right eye.

T

I find that it's best to use the minimum number of points necessary - I only use 21 point when I have low confident in my ability to track movement across the frame as increasing the number of points slows down focus a bit and more importantly, often increases the number of viable targets for the AF system to choose. The dynamic modes aren't as strict about choosing the closest viable target as the other modes. Those two things could in a bright scent cause the camera to select a different focus point, and you saying it's fine at short distances reinforces my thoughts in that direction.

That said, it could be a body fault, but I'd drop to single point AF-C for portraits (keeping focus priority) and see if that makes a difference). 21 point needlessly introduces extra variables (unless your subjects are unpredictably moving around the frame a lot).

Feb 07, 2012 at 01:20 AM
Tim Ashton
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D7K focussing issue

Thank you all and you too Mr Monkey; have PMed you back.

For the rest of you, The "Monkey Set" for SOOC product is so Bl**dy good I shoot Raw to card 1 and Jpeg fine to 2 and out of approx 1200 frames there were no more than three that I needed to tweek in LR.

Camera has been dropped off at Nikon, Back in ten days I hope

Tim

Feb 07, 2012 at 01:58 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D7K focussing issue

Tim Ashton wrote:
Thank you all and you too Mr Monkey; have PMed you back.

For the rest of you, The "Monkey Set" for SOOC product is so Bl**dy good I shoot Raw to card 1 and Jpeg fine to 2 and out of approx 1200 frames there were no more than three that I needed to tweek in LR.

Camera has been dropped off at Nikon, Back in ten days I hope

Tim

I don't understand what you've said here. What is so good that you get practically no poor shots and yet still requires the camera to be serviced ?

- Alan

Feb 07, 2012 at 01:30 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password