Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Falling in love again!!

dave chilvers
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Falling in love again!!

I don`t believe that I have brought my Eos 1N-HS out of the cupboard

I was speaking to a fellow photog today and we were reminiscing over our old cameras from days gone by which made me dig out the camera and I just fell in love all over again with that beautiful shutter sound and feel( why can`t FF digital Canons sound so sweet? after fitting a new a new set of 8 AA batteries it fired up and ran as sweet as a nut.

One of the things that surprised me was how on the button the AF confirm beep and red light is with all my Contax lenses which was a thing I didn`t even think about but when you do think about it then why shouldn`t the AF confirm work, it is the same mount as the 1dsmk3 and 5d2 that I use.

Anyway! I have film in the freezer that my wife has been telling me to clear out for ages and even a selection of film in the fridge so I`m going to run a roll or two through the camera. I know I will probably be disappointed with the quality and will have to get them scanned as I sold my Nikon 8000 scanner a while back but what can you do when your heart rules your head

Out of interest, how many of you shoot film as well as digital and what sort of results are you getting vs digital?

Dave

Feb 05, 2012 at 05:17 PM
G-Gore
• •
p.1 #2 · Falling in love again!!

all my adulthood I've been a user of digital camera, but film photography was always there as a "holly grail of photography". I've always thought it's something magical about film. Once my wife went into photo biz our friend and family started to drop off their old, used film cameras :-) So we found my father-in-law's 1968 Zorki 4 rangefinder :-) It works like a charm. It has no light meter, so I was afraid that it'll be much harder to nail correct exposure - I was wrong. Used my wife's 5Dm2 as a rough guide for exposure metering and tried to match same settings on the Zorki - worked flawlessly. Then I've picked up used Canon A2E and mated it with nifty-fifty lens and B&W films. It has it's own bag and I try to use it every time there is time to have fun with photography. Also have my eyes set on MF camera - my father has Mamiya RB67 Pro S which needs some cleaning and new seals - once I have more time I'll try to grab it and play with it a bit too.

One thing I keep doing when shooting film - I always check the back of the camera to see the shot I just took :-) Film is challenging, because it forces you to change the way you take pictures. Think first, then fire the shutter.

Feb 05, 2012 at 05:54 PM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.1 #3 · Falling in love again!!

G-Gore wrote:
all my adulthood I've been a user of digital camera, but film photography was always there as a "holly grail of photography". I've always thought it's something magical about film. Once my wife went into photo biz our friend and family started to drop off their old, used film cameras :-) So we found my father-in-law's 1968 Zorki 4 rangefinder :-) It works like a charm. It has no light meter, so I was afraid that it'll be much harder to nail correct exposure - I was wrong. Used my wife's 5Dm2 as a rough guide for exposure metering and
...Show more

Yeh! I keep looking at the rear of the camera and thinking it`s broken

I have just dug into the freezer and found 10 rolls of Ilford XP2 Super 400 c41 b&w 36exp so I`ll be having a go with that to start. I sold all my MF gear a couple of years ago and apart from the Mamiya 711 and RZ 67 I deeply regret selling my Fuji 6x9 and 6x7 because looking at some images I scanned on the nikon scanner made with those last two cameras the images really slap you around the face as far as IQ goes. I`m not sure if it`s worth shooting colour slides which will have to compete with the 5d2 but I`m sure that b&w will be great fun. Shame I didn`t have any FP4 or Tri-X in the freezer but we`ll see how this xp2 goes. I know it seems a bit strange shooting with a film camera when I have such good digitals but maybe at my age(67) I`ll just have to get it out of my system before it`s too late.

Thanks for replying

Dave

Feb 05, 2012 at 06:10 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Falling in love again!!

OK, you inspired me to pull out my EOS 3, put in a battery, and load film. I played with the AF and found I still can't calibrate the ECF to work with my glasses and astigmatism. Still, the overall feel of the camera is nice, so I will try to make an excuse to shoot the 36 frames and scan them. Next step on nostalgia road: load the Mamiya 7 and find out how much medium format processing now costs at the pro lab I used until I went fully digital (and invested in Epson 3800 and 3880 printers). I still have my Nikon "Super Cool Scan 8000", so it could be fun if I find some worthy subject matter and have time to do it justice.

Feb 05, 2012 at 06:49 PM
G-Gore
• •
p.1 #5 · Falling in love again!!

Where do you develop non-C-41 films? There is less and less labs still doing it, and those who still do are most often shipping orders somewhere else. Last time I was quoted $12 per roll of film already scanned on CD. 120 rolls were done for almost $20 per roll.

Almost makes you want to start developing the films by yourself at home.

Feb 05, 2012 at 07:08 PM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.1 #6 · Falling in love again!!

G-Gore wrote:
Where do you develop non-C-41 films? There is less and less labs still doing it, and those who still do are most often shipping orders somewhere else. Last time I was quoted $12 per roll of film already scanned on CD. 120 rolls were done for almost $20 per roll.

Almost makes you want to start developing the films by yourself at home.

No!!! don`t start I`ll be up in the loft soon digging out all my deep tanks

Not sure how the xp2 will compare to conventional b&w but seeing as I have 10 rolls all frozen since purchase I`ll have to try that first.

BTW I have a number of contax lenses(inc an old MM 21 2.8) and have just been offered a contax 167MT body at give away price. I used one once for a weekend and absolutely loved the built in drive but at the time could not afford it.

Any views on the 167MT? from memory my MM lenses should work ok as they are not AF.

B&W film in the uk is reasonable to get process and scanned to cd (I think I saw it for around 10 plus p&p)

Dave

Feb 05, 2012 at 07:23 PM
G-Gore
• •
p.1 #7 · Falling in love again!!

dave chilvers wrote:
No!!! don`t start I`ll be up in the loft soon digging out all my deep tanks

Dave

At B&H they have start kits for $50-60 :-)

Feb 05, 2012 at 07:42 PM
roboticspro
• • •
p.1 #8 · Falling in love again!!

Yea,

I think I'll load up this baby...80 square inches each side.... .

Edd

Edited on Mar 26, 2012 at 10:11 PM · View previous versions

Feb 06, 2012 at 12:38 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Falling in love again!!

I sold off my complete digital kit in '09 and went back to film. I'm loving it.

Feb 06, 2012 at 01:46 AM
ZoneV_Nikon
• •
p.1 #10 · Falling in love again!!

dave chilvers wrote:
Out of interest, how many of you shoot film as well as digital and what sort of results are you getting vs digital?
Dave

I do shoot both film and digital. Not as much film this past year I'd have liked, but the type of jobs, the budget and time constraints, etc have made 2011 more of a digital year. I will never give up film though. I shoot at least a few rolls most every couple of months, and sometimes I go through periods of relatively high film consumption for special projects and whatnot.

Quality is fine. Today's color film is the best there has ever been. Of course, some scanners leave a lot to be desired.

Feb 06, 2012 at 01:52 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dave chilvers
• • •
p.1 #11 · Falling in love again!!

Do you think the C41 B&W films are ok(like Ilford xp400 super)

Feb 06, 2012 at 02:12 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Falling in love again!!

dave chilvers wrote:
Do you think the C41 B&W films are ok(like Ilford xp400 super)

The C41 b&w films have great latitude for overexposure, because they're based on color neg technology. There's a soft roll off of highlights. If you give ample exposure, the grain is very fine. Tonality is a bit different from T-Max or Tri-X, just a matter of taste. They scan well. You've got ten rolls? Go for it, have fun!

Feb 06, 2012 at 02:53 AM
racoll
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Falling in love again!!

I shoot both film and digital. In fact, my camera kit for this weekend consisted of my 7D, 1v, and my F-1N. While I truly love my 7D, the 1v is pure joy to use (and listen to) and the F-1N has a precision about its mechanical operation that is hard to match with today's gear. I never grow tired of using these or any of my other film cameras.

Andy

Feb 06, 2012 at 05:21 AM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.1 #14 · Falling in love again!!

So it`s not just me then I`ve just fitted the EC-b split image screen in for help with the MF lenses (use to be in my 1dsm2) I have a number of screens that will fit. I`ve just dug out my Sekonic Master L-358 meter and will probably do some testing but will probably come down on incident reading like I always used to( with a bit of input obviously) One thing! I have never used a Contax lens with film as I only got into them after digital. Wonder how that 21 will do

Of course the biggie is waiting to see the results rather than see then as you shoot but from memory that was actually part of the fun like when you saw the first B&W image appear in the dish.

Thanks for your input

Dave

Feb 06, 2012 at 11:17 AM
G-Gore
• •
p.1 #15 · Falling in love again!!

Not to go OT but anyone saw the leaked images of new retro-styled Olympus? Looks like F-1 with grip and digital back

Feb 06, 2012 at 03:34 PM
lucas lumiere
• •
p.1 #16 · Falling in love again!!

Ben Horne wrote:
I sold off my complete digital kit in '09 and went back to film. I'm loving it.

I've been more and more tempted to do this lately. I'm getting back in the darkroom next weekend, I'll see how that goes and then I'll have a better idea if this would be realistic. E6 labs are getting to be fewer and farther between though, which sucks.

I'm really not ready for film to be history. I LOVE my 1V. I'm also loving the Leica M3 I'm using. These two cameras are like the "greatest hits" of the film era.

Feb 07, 2012 at 02:21 AM
markd61
• •
p.1 #17 · Falling in love again!!

Someone recently gave me a Kodak Bantam in pristine condition. It uses 828 film and I thought I would never get film for it as I remember it going out of production in the mid 80's. However poking around I found that B&H sells it and I ordered 6 rolls.
They are Portra 160 I believe (I am not home) and are hand wound. I am really looking forward to seeing what I can get out of it.

And yes, I still look at the back every time I click the shutter.

Feb 07, 2012 at 02:41 AM
robstein
• • •
p.1 #18 · Falling in love again!!

I hear ya..... I remember been allowed as a kid to use my fathers Yashica rangefinder... The feel of that advance lever under the thumb is just.... sooo... dunno.... cool? - it's just got that something. I get it out of the display case every few years and run thru some film (unfortunately the focus ring is almost frozen stuck - dear dad took to it with wd40 some decades ago :-/ - so I can only take pics from 5 feet ).

Feb 07, 2012 at 03:27 AM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.1 #19 · Falling in love again!!

After shooting a couple of rolls and seeing the cost of process and a decent scan I`m gonna just stick with the Eos-1n for the times I will need to shoot film.(I was looking at a contax 167mt to fit my contax lenses on)

Feb 08, 2012 at 05:05 PM
zwingz

p.1 #20 · Falling in love again!!

I also shoot digital (7D) and film, both 35mm (EOS 5) and medium format. I find film much more rewarding, especially using my rb67proS, but its just so hard to haul around, not to mention the processing costs these days.

It is nice to have the option though.

Feb 08, 2012 at 05:19 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password