Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Amazon Rain Forrest

Leehman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Amazon Rain Forrest

Headed to the Amazon for six weeks.

What can I do to protect the equipment for high humidity?
What lens would you take. Will be staying aboard a small boat.
Thanks for any suggestions in advance.
Regards,
Leehman

Feb 05, 2012 at 02:11 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Amazon Rain Forrest

Looking at your profile, I'd take the 1DIII, 24-70L and 70-200/2.8L IS, as well as getting a 1.4x Extender (the Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 DG 1.4x TC is as good as the 1.4x II Extender, the EF 1.4x III is better). You could also consider picking up a Samyang UMC 14/2.8 - it's only about $325, and it does a super job.

Given my profile, I'd take a Samyang 14/2.8, Canon 24-105L IS, 100-400L IS, and a fast 50mm lens. I'd definitely take my EOS 1DIV and Fujifilm X100. I'd be tempted to take my 1DsIII as well.

I'd also take a Think Tank 70-200 Hydrophobia rain cover for shooting in wet conditions, and a couple of paddling dry bags for putting stuff in when it's not being used. The lenses and body would be padded for storage in the dry bags using OP/TECH Snoot Boots and LensCoat BodyGuard neoprene cases.

Have a great trip!

Feb 05, 2012 at 02:23 PM
Hudsons

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Amazon Rain Forrest

Visited the Bolivian area of the rainforest last summer and had a great time. Hard to photograph in the forest itself due to the density of the trees and low light. Saw less wildlife than expected in the forest during the day though lots on the rivers. Night is a different matter saw lots of insects frogs and spiders on guided walks take a torch and a good flash. Beware of the insect repelant deet as it remived the finish from my Canon (old) slr! Trousers and shirt ready impregnated with insect repelant were a boon.

Feb 05, 2012 at 02:41 PM
Hudsons

p.1 #4 · Amazon Rain Forrest

I thought I should explain more about deet. I got on my palms as I had applied it to the back of my hands and sweat carried it through, it eats into certain plastics! We took a mix of older crop canon dslr's and a new micro four thirds as we had heard a lot about thefts in Bolivia, in fact we came across no problems in Bolivia and everyone we met there was great. We could have done with some longer lenses for birds/monkeys (200/300) and faster lenses in the forest (at 5.6 I was up to ISO 1600 in the forest at times in order to handhold at 1/125)

Feb 05, 2012 at 02:55 PM
dbehrens
• • •
p.1 #5 · Amazon Rain Forrest

Having lived in the tropics for 8 years I would say the biggest thing to remember is be careful where you store your gear at night. If you store it in a cold air conditioned room you will have to warm your gear before you can use it. Otherwise its instant fog on everything. You may want to bring your flash with a better beamer as well.
Dave

Feb 05, 2012 at 04:17 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Amazon Rain Forrest

I was in the Amazon basin in Ecuador several years ago (Napo river). I traveled with a thinktank backpack bag (bought it long enough ago that I don't remember the model) but really had no special provisions for humidity. As noted above, you do have to be careful going from cold to hot but that was it. I used a rain poncho that fit over the thinktank bag when I had it on my back. If you are considering taking a long lens, I would recommend a 400 mm f/4 DO. This was fantastic due to it's light weight. There were several times getting out of the boat and climbing up a slippery embankment when I was glad I brought this lens rather than the 500mm.

Under no circumstances, IMO, should you leave without a good macro lens!

Have fun and please post pics when you get back, so that we may live vicariously.

Feb 05, 2012 at 04:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JohnLL
• • •
p.1 #7 · Amazon Rain Forrest

For 6 weeks I'd take a Pelican case and plenty of desiccant. Not sure about the Amazon region (my visits have been 1 week max) but here in Sao Paulo you can get packs at the supermarket that are designed for avoiding mildew in the cupboards and drawers where you keep your clothing. I use them in the retired fridge that I use for all my photo gear. The point about avoiding condensation when moving between cold and warm environments is very important, but will only apply if your "small" boat is air-conditioned, which would be quite a luxury on the Amazon. Wrap stuff in a plastic bag until it reaches the new ambient temperature. When I have been, I have taken a minimum of gear and kept it all on me except when actually sleeping.

Feb 05, 2012 at 05:35 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Amazon Rain Forrest

I'd take some lens and camera condoms for when it rains, and like JohnLL said, some desiccant when I'm not using the gear. I'd also consider a small chamois cloth, as it's reusable and great for soaking up beaded moisture from non-lens surfaces.

You should be able to buy a few hardy bags of desiccant and keep them sealed. Whatever you stow your camera gear in while not using it, secure one of the bags inside (just make sure it doesn't get crushed and leaks...most good bags are very strong, but still).

Once the desiccant loses the "crunchiness", you know it's time for a swap.

Feb 06, 2012 at 03:40 AM
Leehman
• • •
p.1 #9 · Amazon Rain Forrest

Thanks for all the great suggestions.
Have a pelican case not sure I can carry on plane.

Feb 06, 2012 at 02:28 PM
billk55
• • •
p.1 #10 · Amazon Rain Forrest

I've been in the Amazon twice, for a week each time. The desiccant recommendation is important - you can simply go to a store like Storables and get the packets that some poor folks have to use all the time in their basements. Bring enough so you can alternate - one day when you're out shooting, your backup desiccant should be baking in the sun.

And, you can't underestimate how dark it is under the canopy - lugging a tripod is hard to imagine for many hikes (and your fellow travelers won't be happy). The solution for some situations is to use flash.

Finally - enjoy the experience. To me, there weren't tons of great photo ops. Thankfully, I got my face out of the viewfinder often enough to have deep memories of the locations themselves. It really is remarkable - and sadly, photos don't do a great job of capturing the experience.

Feb 06, 2012 at 10:50 PM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #11 · Amazon Rain Forrest

i know i'm not the OP but much appreciated for all the diff recommendations & points brought up.. another reason why FM is such a great resource as well as community - tons of knowledge to be absorbed in this thread

that and, lucky OP! have a great/safe trip & for sure share some images after - should be lots of fun

Feb 07, 2012 at 01:47 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password