Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Calibration that works with MacBooks

Sharona
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Calibration that works with MacBooks

For those who have calibrated monitors that are hooked up to Macbook Pros - which did you use? I've read that some have software that Macs don't "read."

Thank you!

Feb 04, 2012 at 11:24 PM
matthewbmedia
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Calibration that works with MacBooks

sypder 3's stuff works great.

Do it in a dark room, or throw a black non reflective cloth over the monitor while calibrating to avoid reflection issues.

Color Eyes Display Pro is probably the best app on the mac that uses most 3rd party pucks - but it is spendy -
http://integrated-color.com/cedpro/coloreyesdisplay.html

Feb 05, 2012 at 01:54 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Calibration that works with MacBooks

Get the Spyder 3 or 4; or the ColorMunki Display or the i1Display Pro. You don't need ColorEyes Display Pro

Feb 05, 2012 at 02:10 AM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Calibration that works with MacBooks

Thanks for this info!

Feb 05, 2012 at 02:24 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Calibration that works with MacBooks

Im assuming that you are asking this from the perspective of your wide gamut LED based screen that you have just purchased.

If its a spyder 3, only the elite software/version will handle wide gamut. however, there is a question mark as to wether or not it manages LED. Many people on the net feel it does not, I don't know. As a spyder 3 elite user, I was always a bit suspicious about my results with it when I had an LED screen.

I expect the Spyder 4 would be a better bet but as Skibum5 pointed out in one of your other threads, the i1 display pro has been tested as ok with LED and wide gamut. This is an industry standard device that will run fine on your MBP.

Feb 05, 2012 at 09:42 AM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Calibration that works with MacBooks

Thanks for this info!

Feb 05, 2012 at 05:12 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Calibration that works with MacBooks

Sharona wrote:
Thanks for this info!

Just to clarify, I am recommending the i1 Display Pro, it has less question marks over it than the Spyder 3 Elite for LED and wide gamut and the spyder 4 is very new and an unknown quantity

Feb 05, 2012 at 10:10 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Calibration that works with MacBooks

The Mac OS lets you have different profiles for the macbook pro screen and the external screen active at the same time. That's an added bonus over several generations of Windows but it means too that you'll want a device that handles both screens.

Some programs cannot handle all ICC profile technologies, so don't use the latest version 4 if you don't have to.

For the external screen you want to profile with something that is compatible with the monitor - not just in terms of LED and wide gamut, but in terms of using the monitors internal lookup tables instead of the LUT in the graphics card. Fancy monitors might have a 10 or 12 bits per channel for smoother tonal control whereas most graphics cards only use 8. You'll have to check to see if your monitor drivers can handle the profiling device.

- Alan

Feb 05, 2012 at 10:20 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Calibration that works with MacBooks

Alan.....I think you may have just driven her to the scotch bottle...... that answer even scared me!!!!!

Is there a nicer version for her? How likely is the LUT thing likely to be an issue? I dont think you can access the LUT on the Asus, its all just a case of plugging the puk into the computer? To be honest I never even looked at that when I got my dell, I just plugged spyder into computer and got ripping results straight away - it has actually cut my production time in half and hugely improved my output consistency.

Sharona,
What software are you using so we can tell you if there is an issue?

Feb 05, 2012 at 10:36 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Calibration that works with MacBooks

Alan321 wrote:
Some programs cannot handle all ICC profile technologies, so don't use the latest version 4 if you don't have to.

He means ICC version 4 (Not Spyder 4).

Feb 05, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Calibration that works with MacBooks

HI Morgan - Which software are you referring to? I haven't purchased calibration tools yet....

Feb 06, 2012 at 12:58 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Calibration that works with MacBooks

Im just clarifying Alans comment

Feb 06, 2012 at 01:46 AM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Calibration that works with MacBooks

I appreciate ALL input, believe me. I've calmed down considerably and just need to chat with the folks at B&H tomorrow to see about the actual monitor. Stay tuned - I'm liable to have more questions!

Feb 06, 2012 at 04:28 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Calibration that works with MacBooks

Cool. Just dont overthink it, not at this stage. Its not like your charging $4500 for weddings or anything like that, you can afford to relax, take your time and learn at your pace. Just get the puk that people here are advising you to get and you will be sorted.

Feb 06, 2012 at 04:45 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Calibration that works with MacBooks

morganb4 wrote:
Alan.....I think you may have just driven her to the scotch bottle...... that answer even scared me!!!!!

Is there a nicer version for her? How likely is the LUT thing likely to be an issue? I dont think you can access the LUT on the Asus, its all just a case of plugging the puk into the computer? To be honest I never even looked at that when I got my dell, I just plugged spyder into computer and got ripping results straight away - it has actually cut my production time in half and hugely improved my output consistency.

I don't think I can do a nicer version that will mean much to anyone. This reply is even longer but might be easier to understand. Maybe.

I don't have a modern profiling device yet but I will definitely buy an x-rite i1 Display Pro next time I order some other stuff from the USA - it's way too expensive here in Australia. I'm in no rush because where I live at present I do not have either of my external monitors available

Previously I found that a simple old Gretag MacBeth EyeOne Display 2 device seemed to work ok with my Eizo external monitor but that was *only* because the Eizo profiling software was tweaked to use it - not because the generic EyeOne software was compatible with the Eizo. i.e. if I used the Eye One software instead of the dedicated Eizo software to drive the device then it did not work at all well.

On another occasion I was using an NEC Spectraview monitor and found that the old EyeOne Display 2 was simply not compatible with it. Nor was my then new ColorMunki but at least I could use that one to make printer profiles. Luckily for me I found that simply switching that particular monitor to its default settings for Adobe RGB gave a great result - but that was no doubt because that monitor was an up-market job that had already been calibrated internally and tested prior to delivery.

The internal LUT on these up-market monitors has a higher precision and it is used along with a built-in processor to make the large screen relatively uniform in terms of colour and particularly brightness so that it looks far less blotchy than cheaper screens can. I did not want to by-pass that capability by using an 8-bit per channel graphics card LUT when the internal LUT had I think 10 or 12 bits per channel plus a dedicated processor. However, not all external monitors have that capability and for them using the graphics card LUT is the only option. Very few graphic cards offer more than 8 bits per channel.

I didn't see which external monitor Sharona is using but to be frank I'm not at all familiar with most of them anyway. I just know that I ran into limitations with using old-technology calibration tools on my monitors. There are a few basic reasons why such tools might let you down:
- They don't like wide gamut screen technology
- They don't like LED back-light technology
- They don't know how to interface with a monitors internal LUT and processor
- The monitors own software does not know how to interface with the device
- Some brands/models of profiler are inconsistent from one unit to the next, or from one occasion to the next
- If you have two monitors going at once then you want a profiler device that works with both even if you have to use different software fro each one.

Here's a link to a review of several profiling devices:
http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/Calibration/MonitorCalibrationHardware.html

It's a bit technical but if you cut to the chase and look at the tables and read the conclusion you'll see that the x-rite i1 Display Pro is a modern unit that works very well - among the best available in terms of accuracy and repeatability - on all monitor technologies. It is not the cheapest but given its capabilities now and for future monitors that you might own it is highly recommended. The new ColorMunki Display (not to be confused with older ColorMunkis) is cheaper and slower but otherwise just as good and is probably the best value for money. To get anything slightly better you need to spend far more money. At the time that review was done the Spyder 4 was not tested.

So now you know that if you get either the x-rite i1 Display Pro or the new x-rite ColorMunki Display then you cannot go far wrong in terms of monitor technology. What I don't know is whether or not these units will play ball with the NEC Spectraview II calibration software or the Eizo software. It doesn't matter if you don't have an NEC or Eizo monitor but the principle applies to all monitors - if the monitor has its own software to properly use the advanced internal hardware features then you need a profiling device that is compatible with it.

Then there's the matter of what sort of profiles you produce with your new profiler and software.

There is a mob called the International Color Consortium that standardized the .ICC colour profile format. Over the years they have produced a few different versions of that format, with the latest being version 4. With any calibration/profiling device you can produce a colour profile and you probably have some control over which version of the standard it adheres to. Unfortunately some of the programs that we use for photography do not know how to deal with version 4 icc profiles. Firefox web browser was one of them but I don't know if it still is. Use an older version profile and it works ok. (For those who don't know, MS Internet Explorer is not colour managed software and cannot benefit from a profiled monitor. Firefox can. So can Apple Safari but it's slightly limited compared with Firefox).

But can a Mac "read" it ?

I'm pretty certain that every monitor profiler has Mac-compatible software. There were - and perhaps still are - incompatibilities arising from time to time when Apple updates the Mac OS to a new version such as the recent "Lion" 10.7. You can bet that applied to Windows too when it was upgraded. Eventually the software catches up or else the profiling hardware is retired. There may also be generic problems with the colour management within Lion but that should also have been fixed by now. I chose to stick with the previous Snow Leopard version 10.6 until my camera shop / Apple shop advises me that Lion is stable with colour management and photographic software - neither of which are mainstream categories as far as Apple's market is concerned. Once I made that choice I stopped paying attention to the current state of play and so I'm out of touch, but my dealer still reckons I should avoid Lion for now (though be aware that the problems are at least partly down to the application software not catching up with Lion). You might think it is better to use an older profiler to avoid such OS issues but then you have to put up with the monitor technology limitations that I mentioned above.

- Alan

Feb 06, 2012 at 07:13 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Calibration that works with MacBooks

It sounds like your writing from the perspective of plugging the puk into the screen. I think this is just a simpe case of plugging puk into computer and generating a profile that way. I dont see how the monitors LUT comes into play?

Feb 06, 2012 at 01:14 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Calibration that works with MacBooks

you dont plug the puck into the screen.

Certain screens (notably the NEC P/PA series and the Eizo) have their own color engines and independent Lookup Tables. The associated software (Spectraview and ColorNavigator) are the only software that can access the monitor internals (BasICColor is a special case whereas it can also do the NECs).

Spectraview software can work w/ different pucks (sw purchased for $89 from NEC) and/or it can be purchased in a software & puck calibration kit. They provide a relabeled XRite i1Display Pro. The previous generation of I1D2 puck (the 'egg') really was specially calibrated for the NEC and didn't perform well on non-NEC's. I don't know if the new i1Display Pro has the same 'problem'.

If you're going to drop the $$ on a nice NEC, you really should get teh Spectraview sw to configure it. Please note that you CANNOT use a 'ColorMunki Display' (not to be confused w/ a ColorMunki Photo which can be used) to drive the Spectraview software.

So the most flexible course of action is to get an i1Display Pro ($250) and if you get the NEC screen, drop another $90 on their Spectraview software. I don't think Spectraview supports the Spyder 4 yet. You can download the Spectraview software and user's guide from necdisplays.com

Feb 06, 2012 at 02:00 PM
JoelWilcox
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Calibration that works with MacBooks

For dead-simple accuracy, I'm a fan of NEC's Spectraview II system. I just acquired a P-221W-BK wide gamut monitor with NEC's latest colorimeter and software:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/612998-REG/NEC_P221W_BK_SV_MultiSync_P221W_BK_22_Widescreen.html

This is a particularly cost-effective solution if you don't already own a colorimeter, as this Spectraview II package (puck and software) effectively costs just $170 more than this monitor without SpectraView II ($269 if bought separately from B&H).

The default calibration is 6500K with 140 luminance. After this first calibration, which is totally automatic, it was super easy to settle on 4800K and 100 luminance by comparing it to a print made on Harman warm-tone paper. It's convenient and fast to switch between your adjusted profiles that you've made for various papers.

I use this on a 64-bit Windows 7 PC; you'll have to do your own research on how well this plays with your MacBook and MacOS. I would just call NEC (necdisplay.com) at 800-632-4662. I did this when I found that only the CD for NaviSet was included in the box instead of the Spectraview II software. Joe immediately sent me the key for Spectraview II, and I downloaded the latest version from NEC's site -- which you'll want to do, anyway.

Don't be put off by product shots showing the older puck. This is what comes with Spectraview II kits: http://www.necdisplay.com/p/svii-pro-kit

Feb 06, 2012 at 03:13 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Calibration that works with MacBooks

I dont think the 221 is a wide gamut device. Those start w/ the 231.

but you're right, it's a smokin deal w/ calibration kit for only 589

Feb 06, 2012 at 05:04 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Calibration that works with MacBooks

have you tried using the Multiprofiler to load the Harman paper profile into the monitor so that you dont have to run it @ 4800?

Feb 06, 2012 at 05:12 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password