Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · 135 for macro shots

gdanmitchell
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · 135 for macro shots

Depending on what your macro subject will be, there are other options to consider. One that surprised me by how well it works for hand-held macro (very close work with wildflowers, for example) is combining extension tubes with the EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS lens. The image stabilization is quite useful when handholding this sort of stuff, and I was surprised at how nice the bokeh is with this setup. (The 24-105 is not normally known for particularly lovely bokeh.)

Dan

scarletknight64 wrote:
Hi,

I am thinking of getting the 135 with extension tubes to so I can use it as a portrait lens (especially female faces) and for occasional macro shooting, mainly flowers and butterflies. I have a 7D.

I don't know much about extension tubes or how close I could get with the 135 and how well this would work out.

The other option I can think of is to go with the 100L but I think the difference between F2 and F2.8 for female portraits might prove to be more flattering as well as flatten features better with the longer focal length.

I should
...Show more

Feb 05, 2012 at 04:58 PM
GC5
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · 135 for macro shots

When I shoot close up with he 135, I will usually stop down and use flash. Otherwise, normal rules of thumb apply.

Feb 05, 2012 at 05:16 PM
form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · 135 for macro shots

135 is a nice lens and goes well with extension tubes, but no lens can compare to a dedicated macro lens for image quality in macro shots because extension tubes always have negative effects on IQ - anywhere away from the center of the image loses quality fast, some faster than others. 85L and 50L lose quality away from center extremely fast, 35L fairly fast, 135L and 70-200 f/2.8L IS do well with tubes but still suffer towards the edges.

Feb 05, 2012 at 06:51 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password