Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       end

Archive 2012 · Thanks Nikon, Canon may fail big

molson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Thanks Nikon, Canon may fail big

bobbytan wrote:
The D800 is looking like a phenomenal body ... possibly even better than the D4:

http://www.silentjournalist.org/news/pre-release-official-nikon-d800d800e-details.html

Canon .... are you paying close attention?

Canon is probably having a good laugh at the term "Pre-Release Official Nikon Details"... with those "official" features like the 8.1" diagonal rear LCD. Who needs a Marshall monitor now?

Feb 05, 2012 at 06:35 PM
alundeb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Thanks Nikon, Canon may fail big

bobbytan wrote:
The D800 is looking like a phenomenal body ... possibly even better than the D4:

http://www.silentjournalist.org/news/pre-release-official-nikon-d800d800e-details.html

I hope and believe that the Nikon D800 will attract many landscape, arcitecture, studio etc. photographers who currently work with Canon or digital medium format cameras. Canon will pay attention to the sales numbers of the D800.

Feb 05, 2012 at 06:37 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Thanks Nikon, Canon may fail big

bobbytan wrote:

Hm, "bobby" ...

... those "silentjournalists" just copied NRs picture from the "german Nikon site" and filled the news with their specs and those, they read here.

They did exactly the same last week after the 5D III accident fom afrika promoted at CR and discussed here and filled it with ECF directly after I fantasied about it at FM. I am not sure if I should give them more attention then every else "METOO" rumor site, that jumps on the train to generate traffic on theire sites.

Ralph

Feb 05, 2012 at 07:28 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Thanks Nikon, Canon may fail big

Bruce Sawle wrote:
Ralph always a pleasure to read your post. One of the most entertaining post I have read in a long time.

Nice you liked it, bruce. It is a pleasure to write for you
If you like to read more of my amazing and funny text creations:

www.read-all-i-know-and-want-to-tell-you.de

Feb 05, 2012 at 09:17 PM
Stoffer
• • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Thanks Nikon, Canon may fail big

bobbytan wrote:

Errr, Canon has known for ages that Sony was developing a 36 MP full-frame-sensor. No news to them.

Feb 05, 2012 at 09:32 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · Thanks Nikon, Canon may fail big

D800 sounds very nice and will be interested how it performs, especially without AA filter. Should get some stunning detail at low iso for landscape and macro work.

Feb 05, 2012 at 10:00 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · Thanks Nikon, Canon may fail big

I think it highly unlikely Canon will be folding up anytime soon.

Feb 05, 2012 at 10:08 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · Thanks Nikon, Canon may fail big

It's highly impossible. Nikon may take 2 steps forward today, but Canon will take a giant leap forward before long. Canon is so big they can swallow Nikon ... but I hope that will never happen as the competition is good for everyone.

lukeb wrote:
I think it highly unlikely Canon will be folding up anytime soon.

Feb 05, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

thedigitalbean
• • • • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · Thanks Nikon, Canon may fail big

bobbytan wrote:

12 channel read out and 16-bit processing engine combined with Nikon's already excellent reputation for base ISO performance = yum for the landscape photographer

I've already assembled a killer Leica kit for landscapes in anticipation of an M10 but I think I'll least want to play with this D800.

Feb 05, 2012 at 10:40 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · Thanks Nikon, Canon may fail big

Canon called me last night when I was shooting an event. They said, "Rob, we're closing down.".

Nikon called me right before and said "Hey Rob, Canon is about to get got."

man.

Feb 06, 2012 at 12:42 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · Thanks Nikon, Canon may fail big

Nikon always knows, and always manages to leak the information first

Feb 06, 2012 at 12:52 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · Thanks Nikon, Canon may fail big

bobbytan wrote:
It's highly impossible. Nikon may take 2 steps forward today, but Canon will take a giant leap forward before long. Canon is so big they can swallow Nikon ... but I hope that will never happen as the competition is good for everyone.

lukeb wrote:
I think it highly unlike

Nikon is part of the Mitsubishi conglomerate. I think Canon might have a big problem swallowing them.

Even so, both companies make great cameras and lenses. Some of my best friends shoot Canon.

Feb 06, 2012 at 01:03 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · Thanks Nikon, Canon may fail big

RobDickinson wrote:
Nikon always knows, and always manages to leak the information first

Its called industrial spying

Feb 06, 2012 at 01:04 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · Thanks Nikon, Canon may fail big

Well, speaking personally I have so much tied up in Canon glass I am highly unlikely to sell up and buy a Nikon system.

However, my 5D2 and 7D promise to meet my needs for a long time to come, and so Canon's next problem is how to tempt people like me to upgrade.

Keeping or lowering the megapixellage won't do it.
Keeping existing 5D AF won't do it either.

I am sure Canon will get me to part with my money sooner or later, but the question is "when" and "how". The 5D3 or 7D2 would have to offer something very tempting indeed to get me to empty my bank account. I'm not sure what that something could be, but that's Canon's job in a nutshell.

Feb 06, 2012 at 07:55 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · Thanks Nikon, Canon may fail big

Likewise. As this is mostly just a game of swings and roundabouts i've never consider switching - i've used Nikon (D90 and D700) and Sony (A-55) and i think they're excellent, but not really that much better or worse that i can see a good reason to move from one to another.

David Baldwin wrote:
Well, speaking personally I have so much tied up in Canon glass I am highly unlikely to sell up and buy a Nikon system.

Feb 06, 2012 at 08:04 AM
ViscaB
• • •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · Thanks Nikon, Canon may fail big

Switching without trying out the other brand and comparing it to what you already have is silly. I almost switched to Nikon. But then I went for the mark II instead after renting both camera's. After Canon released the TSE-17 (no Nikon equivalent exists) and the brilliant TSE-24 II I'm more than pleased with my decision.

Feb 06, 2012 at 09:00 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password