Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              5       6       end

Archive 2012 · Thanks Nikon, Canon may fail big

cputeq
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Thanks Nikon, Canon may fail big

Camera sounds sexy, but I find it surprising they charge you more for less parts (the no-AA option). At least it's offered, though - great option to have.

If it's anywhere near the D700's performance, they'll have another winner (boy do I miss that camera). Ah well, I'm happy where I am with my gear, congrats to whoever gets to pick one up.

Feb 04, 2012 at 04:37 PM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Thanks Nikon, Canon may fail big

A 36mp sensor would seriously challenge the current lens performance.

Feb 04, 2012 at 04:49 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Thanks Nikon, Canon may fail big

Richard Nye wrote:
A 36mp sensor would seriously challenge the current lens performance.

Besides it will require tons of more free space and performance to process such raw file on computer. Mine is 4 years old and no plans to replace it.

Feb 04, 2012 at 04:55 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Thanks Nikon, Canon may fail big

Funny that the non AA version costs more, Nikon actually make a saving of about that just by not putting it in, they'll be laughing all the way to the bank!

Feb 04, 2012 at 05:00 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Thanks Nikon, Canon may fail big

Ah, yes. Once again. In the "great war" between Canon and Nikon, Brand A will "kill" (trounce, destroy, banish, damage the self esteem of...) Brand B permanently. Or yet again. Or for the first time. Or something.

Or maybe I have that backwards.

Yes, hypothetical camera A will most certainly better hypothetical camera B - or was it the other way around? And photography will never be the same.

Or something.

Dan

KiboOst wrote:
Hi,
The D800 is 'official' from french magazine Chasseurs d'images (they are very reliable and wouldn't publish this for the sake of rumor. they had the infos from themselves and some contacts, not from Nikon so they don't feel to respect anything regarding official annoucement) :
http://www.chassimages.com/forum/index.php/topic,146552.0.html

D800, 3000€
24x36 36mp
100% viewfinder
metering and AF from D4 (Expeed 3)
4fps / 6fps w grip
100 - 6.400 ISO (50 - 24.800 ISO in L/H)
1080p30 24 25, hdmi direct ouput
official annoucment february 7, available in march

Will be a version without AA filter for 300/500€ more

Let's see next Canon annoucements ...

Feb 04, 2012 at 05:07 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Thanks Nikon, Canon may fail big

Breitling65 wrote:
Besides it will require tons of more free space and performance to process such raw file on computer. Mine is 4 years old and no plans to replace it.

Lens performance, computer space, and processing aside. My Ids MK III and d3x need superior technique to the 12 mp bodies. At 100% the noise on the high MP bodies can appear to be a lot worse when in fact it is not. What i forsee happening is that many people will begin to complain about how soft there image is and how much noise they have. Truth be told the 1dx to me sounds like it could be a winner. If the 5d MKIII can up the ante by adding better focus possible the new 61 pt and frame rate then I can see many people switching.

Feb 04, 2012 at 05:08 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Thanks Nikon, Canon may fail big

That's so awesome. Finally Nikon has a FF camera with video and serious MP instead. I'm happy for them. But I think not all Nikonians are happy with the high MP count though.

Feb 04, 2012 at 05:18 PM
thedutt
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Thanks Nikon, Canon may fail big

Impressive specs, specially the price. This makes me think that 5D MKIII will be a X between 5D II & 7D at a slightly lower price point that D800. Pretty awesome if thats true.

36 MP would be great option to have, maybe in about 2-3 years. ~50MB/ picture for Raw + JPG would be a bit too much to handle right now.

Feb 04, 2012 at 05:18 PM
newseum
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Thanks Nikon, Canon may fail big

Apparently trolls have migrated from the mountains of Norway down into france.

Feb 04, 2012 at 05:19 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Thanks Nikon, Canon may fail big

gdanmitchell wrote:
Ah, yes. Once again. In the "great war" between Canon and Nikon, Brand A will "kill" (trounce, destroy, banish, damage the self esteem of...) Brand B permanently. Or yet again. Or for the first time. Or something.

Or maybe I have that backwards.

Yes, hypothetical camera A will most certainly better hypothetical camera B - or was it the other way around? And photography will never be the same.

Or something.

Dan

+ 1000
Maybe I am just stupid. But maybe I will never understand why photographers fight for their brand instead of just going out and using it ...

The last number I remember (from Japan) was something about 95% in DSLR sales for both, Canon and Nikon (I think it was 50 to 45%). That is a huge amount of successful sales for both near to half-half. They are introducing new cameras with better specs each year in the consumer field, each second in semipro and each third in pro segments. AND they are so succesfull like never before. BOTH. They really must laugh about us CONSUMORS and be happy about every one who buys what they offer - just to support HIS brand.

Edited on Feb 04, 2012 at 05:31 PM · View previous versions

Feb 04, 2012 at 05:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

artsupreme
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Thanks Nikon, Canon may fail big

Whether the D800 is for you or not and the specs are accurate then they've got the high MP crowd covered. Other rumors have been circling that a FF D400 (lower MP and faster fps) is coming which would be the true D700 successor . If Nikon did this they would have both camps covered and a lot of happy customers.

Feb 04, 2012 at 05:30 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Thanks Nikon, Canon may fail big

artsupreme wrote:
Whether the D800 is for you or not and the specs are accurate then they've got the high MP crowd covered. Other rumors have been circling that a FF D400 (lower MP and faster fps) is coming which would be the true D700 successor . If Nikon did this they would have both camps covered and a lot of happy customers.

Yes. But till today D800 is just a marketing gag that makes NIKON rumors earn money. Both cameras are just rumors. Like "our" 5D III/7 II. If Nikon covers it, Canon will come with a 39MP crop camera at 1200 in a couple of month.

Feb 04, 2012 at 05:36 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Thanks Nikon, Canon may fail big

jamesf99 wrote:
If I remember correctly, you're right; the magazine does have a pretty good track record with real specs. It sounds like a landscape/portrait shooters dream camera in many ways, and - assuming it's real - if the IQ holds up Nikon will have a lot of takers..

and with the grip, the 6fps make it passable for action too, 6fps is a HUGE difference from the 3.9fps of the 5D2 and a big step from even 5fps. So it has tons of detail for the studio people, the landscape people who want a ton of detail, it has a lot of reach for wildlife and sports, apparently Nikon's best metering and AF effort and can get up to a usable, if not yet ideal, fps for action.

Supposedly they have also radically upped video quality.

I wonder if it uses the column ADC and will have the far better than what Canon has done so far low ISO DR too.

The first true, all-rounder and in a nice small form factor too.

Hopefully the Canon will be similar....
it sort of needs to be, unless they simply decide to compete on price alone and way undercut the price.

Thing is Canon could've already been here long before Nikon if marketing had allowed it.

Feb 04, 2012 at 05:38 PM
FretNoMore
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Thanks Nikon, Canon may fail big

Oh no, another camera! The skies are falling!

Feb 04, 2012 at 05:41 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Thanks Nikon, Canon may fail big

If the rumors are true, we will know this week

Feb 04, 2012 at 05:49 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Thanks Nikon, Canon may fail big

@ skibum:
The thing is ... lets wait.

Nikon did not come out with a D4 with less AF, less MP, less ISO, less FPS, less price (what they never did before) because they think, less in all fields is ENOUGH. They brought it, because it is what they could offer to make some olympic sales against 1D X (announced in Oktober). One just have to look at the offered body, to see that is a fast shoot back with what they have. They are again and (if they do not come out with something else this year) for the next couple of years the "pro" losers. Does one really belive D3X sold in numbers?

If they really offer a D800 letīs see, what it gives the people. I guess, it is not ISO (6.400), not fps, not IQ. It might be just PIXELS at the end. To answer that itīs putting a hand in a drawer. But we will see.

Feb 04, 2012 at 05:51 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Thanks Nikon, Canon may fail big

Ralph Conway wrote:
+ 1000
Maybe I am just stupid. But maybe I will never understand why photographers fight for their brand instead of just going out and using it ...

The last number I remember (from Japan) was something about 95% in DSLR sales for both, Canon and Nikon (I think it was 50 to 45%). That is a huge amount of successful sales for both near to half-half. They are introducing new cameras with better specs each year in the consumer field, each second in semipro and each third in pro segments. AND they are so successful like never before. BOTH.
...Show more

one might say that he does it as much and to greater degree than anyone here though since no Canon body has ever done a single thing less than 100% optimally and every lens is without any flaw (I dare you to so much as mention that the Canon 85 1.8 is super sharp and has quick AF and is great but also has a lot more PF than at least one other lens in the history of lens design and see what happens....)

also maybe the OP mentions it not because he loves Nikon but likes the Canon UI and just hopes Canon wakes up and responded with something impressive instead of another little dribble upgrade? if all everyone does is applaud whatever Canon does and laps it up then you can be sure we will get the barest upgrades each time. They are in it too get as much $ as they can for as little output as possible (nothing wrong with that) but then the OP can also be free to comment in return (nothing wrong with that).

And for all the talk of the OP he may well be out shooting with a 5D2 right this minute and loving it for all you know.

Feb 04, 2012 at 05:58 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Thanks Nikon, Canon may fail big

Ralph Conway wrote:
@ skibum:
The thing is ... lets wait.

Nikon did not come out with a D4 with less AF, less MP, less ISO, less FPS, less price (what they never did before) because they think, less in all fields is ENOUGH. They brought it, because it is what they could offer to make some olympic sales against 1D X (announced in Oktober). One just have to look at the offered body, to see that is a fast shoot back with what they have. They are again and (if they do not come out with something else this year) for the
...Show more

we will see, the rumors sound awfully solid though

and sure maybe they will make a total disaster with the sensor, although they've had a good track record recently

and 3000 euro is a pretty high price tier (although OTOH since camera exchange rate often is 1 euro = 1 USD maybe the price is actually not so high)

and sure when it comes to lenses they have no answer to stuff like the 70-300L or even 70-200 f/4 IS so it's not all golden but you do have to admit they try to do what they can with their camera bodies

Feb 04, 2012 at 06:00 PM
buntaro

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Thanks Nikon, Canon may fail big

"About canon failing I don't care I'm not fanboy, I just use what works for my needs."

Read your thread title and try to say you're not a "fanboy" again with a straight face.

Feb 04, 2012 at 06:16 PM
Stoffer
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Thanks Nikon, Canon may fail big

While 36 MP may sound like a lot, keep in mind that the rumored resolution of 7360 x 4912 pixels on a full frame translate into a pixel size of 4,9 micron. A Nikon D7000 has a pixel size of 4,8 micron and the 24 MP sensor in NEX-7 is at 3,9 micron.

I think that it is fair to assume that the rumored sensor will be a Sony design, so it should at least be able to rival the per pixel performance of the sensor used in the NEX-7. And it looks pretty decent to me:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonynex7/page27.asp

I would personally prefer the resolution/noise ratio of the D1 X / D4, but if you're shooting in a studio @ ISO 100 with all the light in the world, it looks mighty tempting.

I'm less convinced about a huge resolution advantage in situations where you don't perfect control over both quality of light, focus and the subject being absolutely still.

Feb 04, 2012 at 06:19 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password