Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Copying hard drives and libraries

NathanHamler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Copying hard drives and libraries

Ok, so i was using my system drive to store all my current projects, both photos and Aperture Libraries....decided that was putting un-necessary wear on my drive, so i moved the library to an external drive (1TB, 5400rpm western digital drive, USB 2.0), and then went though aperture project by project and did "relocate masters for project" which pulled the photos for each project off my system drive and transferred them to the directory of my choice, which was now on the external drive...so that way aperture still knew where to locate the master files....

so obviously i wasn't going to keep that WD drive forever, so i picked up 2 Glyph 1TB 7200 rpm FW800 drives....so i'll use one as a work drive, and then backup everything to the other every night using Carbon Copy Cloner....

so, HERE'S MY PROB, i cloned my WD external drive to Glyph drive #1, same name and everything...but now when i go to aperture to open the library off the Glyph drive, it doesn't know where the masters are....So i'll have to go through project by project again and do "relocate masters for project" so that it knows where they are...

if the drives are named the same, and file structures are the same, why doesn't aperture think it's the exact same drive??

Feb 04, 2012 at 12:39 PM
aubsxc
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Copying hard drives and libraries

Is the new FW drive assigned the same drive letter as the old WD drive it is replacing?

You can change drive letters (other than the boot partition) by hitting Start (Windows key) > Computer [right click] > Manage > Disk Management > Right Click on the appropriate partition > Change Drive Letter and Paths

Feb 04, 2012 at 01:15 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Copying hard drives and libraries

hmmm this is def on a mac....hence using aperture....

Feb 04, 2012 at 02:04 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Copying hard drives and libraries

I would have expected it to work ok but I do not use Aperture. Could it be identifying the external drive or media by serial number rather than just volume name, do you think ?

Have you switched the drives while Aperture was already running ?

Do the drives have the same format ? As in exactly the same format - not one being case sensitive and the other not ? Did you format all of the drives yourself, or just use a format already on the drives ?

I've done this sort of cloning thing with Lightroom quite a bit and occasionally - just occasionally - something screws up. It's been so infrequent that I've not spotted until it was too late, by which time I have different edits in two different versions of the catalog. However, my computer has been flaky for some time and so I don't even know what to blame - the software, the OS or the hardware.

- Alan

Feb 05, 2012 at 09:21 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Copying hard drives and libraries

each drive definitely have a unique ID. case in point if you swap a hard drive on a macbook, time machine will try to re-initialize the master store because it thinks it's different because the drive's unique ID is different (but there is a way around that). Perhaps Aperture has some similar thinking.

Feb 05, 2012 at 09:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Copying hard drives and libraries

Yeahhh i think it does have to do with serial numbers... Although my buddy suggested i unmount both drives, and mount the glyph first, and it should go for that one... Not home yet, so i cant try... I'm trying to have it set where i work on one drive, and nightly it backs up to an identical drive with carbon copy cloner... If it doesnt work, i'll be pissed...i might just have to do a RAID 1 and be done...

Feb 05, 2012 at 10:58 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Copying hard drives and libraries

on cursory reading, this sounds like the issue. Whether there is an automated method to solve the problem, I do not know.

http://www.kevinnoall.com/blog/2011/11/04/manually-change-aperture-referenced-files-volume/

Feb 05, 2012 at 11:26 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Copying hard drives and libraries

I think i'm going to scream....apparently the drive's UUID makes it impossible to do these backups how i want, without editing the database, which i'm totally not comfortable with... Looks like i'm doing a mirrored raid set, and a manual backup to a 3rd drive on top of that.... I really hate storage...

Feb 06, 2012 at 01:29 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Copying hard drives and libraries

even though I dont use Aperture, that is how I do it.

RAID 1, separate backup of that to 2 different drives and then off-site 1 of them.

Feb 06, 2012 at 02:14 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password