Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Jerry Ghionis Switches to Nikon

Technician
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Jerry Ghionis Switches to Nikon

VinnieJ wrote:
His reasons for not shooting raw is completely close minded and ignorant.

Couldn't agree more.

To be honest, the only guy who switched to Nikon, whose work improved significantly after it is Ole Jørgen Liodden. From what I have learned, others just do their usual job and the gear don't mean that much in their world. So I don't see any reason in claiming if someone changes his religion.

Feb 05, 2012 at 10:02 AM
nikt
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Jerry Ghionis Switches to Nikon

He reasons for shooting Jpeg or RAW are his own. And quite perfectly valid.

It's hard to believe people feel like they've had their toes stepped on because someone has THEIR reason for shooting in RAW or Jpeg.

Jerry has said the same thing that tonnes of photographers have said when they've picked up a D3s. WOW.
Is anyone actually surprised by that?

Yeah right, the gear doesn't!
What a load of hog wash, of course it matters.
That's what we talk about everyday on these forums. The best this, the best that.

Feb 05, 2012 at 11:29 AM
Frode
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Jerry Ghionis Switches to Nikon

fldspringer wrote:
Now I know why I shoot RAW.

He shoots JPEG so he can complain about hi ISOs on the 5D2.

Greg

If I was as good as JG to photograph, it wouldn`t matter if I shot in jpeg or raw. Man, JG can shoot!

I think many of us might take a look in the mirror and ask ourselves if JG is right when he says that raw is compensation for poor photography...... Obviously the man sells enough photos, maybe that should tell us others something.....

Feb 05, 2012 at 12:12 PM
VinnieJ
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Jerry Ghionis Switches to Nikon

DavidM5 wrote:
The last seminar that I spent with Jerry, he mentioned that he shoots RAW...
That article is a very out dated and was written in 2006!

Regardless of whether he shoots raw or jpg, he produces images and albums that most of us can only dream of....
http://www.jerryghionisphotography.com/#/Wedding%20Albums/Wayne%20and%20Natalia/1

Doesn't that just prove his statement was close-minded when he said it? Or is he admitting he no longer knows how to use a camera? It's not whether or not he shoots jpeg or raw it's the statement he made. I'm sure he does great work but when you say "It's like an accountant who doesn't know how to use a calculator." he's going to lose the respect of many because he's making a condescending statement without knowing that side of the photography world.

Feb 05, 2012 at 01:00 PM
fldspringer

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Jerry Ghionis Switches to Nikon

Frode wrote:
[If I was as good as JG to photograph, it wouldn`t matter if I shot in jpeg or raw. Man, JG can shoot!

I think many of us might take a look in the mirror and ask ourselves if JG is right when he says that raw is compensation for poor photography...... Obviously the man sells enough photos, maybe that should tell us others something.....

Its very much an individual issue. I don't shoot much when I meter off a gray card before each shot. I don't shoot much when I have a great deal of control of the lighting either, beyond trying to position relative to the sun. I won't even pretend to get it right in the camera every time.

There are differences in shooting styles.

I'm not poking fun at him as a photographer. He's better than me. I'm poking fun at what he said about shooting raw. I have the greatest respect for someone that has the confidence to shoot JPEG only, BUT if you are going to manipulate much of anything after the shot, RAW is the format.

Greg

Feb 05, 2012 at 02:24 PM
VTXT

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Jerry Ghionis Switches to Nikon

Holy smokes he is quite a photographer! One of THE BEST samples i've seen on the net. Clearly heads and shoulders above 90% of the wedding photographers out there.

Feb 05, 2012 at 02:27 PM
Mr Kris
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Jerry Ghionis Switches to Nikon

I think the calculator statement is being over analyzed. I've always likened blog talk to bar talk. People on the 1nt3rn3ts are like guys at the bar a few shots of Jack into the night. Usually there's plenty of truth there, but the inhibitions lifted by alcohol (or the separation of a blog) cause people to throw in that extra bit that wasn't really needed.

I wish I shot JPEG.... so many hours spent tweaking raw files instead of drinking

Feb 05, 2012 at 02:46 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Jerry Ghionis Switches to Nikon

do a double shot and you have a choice.

Feb 05, 2012 at 03:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Frode
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Jerry Ghionis Switches to Nikon

fldspringer wrote:
Its very much an individual issue. I don't shoot much when I meter off a gray card before each shot. I don't shoot much when I have a great deal of control of the lighting either, beyond trying to position relative to the sun. I won't even pretend to get it right in the camera every time.

There are differences in shooting styles.

I'm not poking fun at him as a photographer. He's better than me. I'm poking fun at what he said about shooting raw. I have the greatest respect for someone that has the confidence to shoot JPEG
...Show more

When it comes to manipulating much after the shot, clearly I agree with you, Greg.

Best regards!

Feb 05, 2012 at 03:16 PM
innovis
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Jerry Ghionis Switches to Nikon

That's what happens when you receive a few awards and accolades . You start thinking RAW is for the weak and shoot JPEG only til that one day you need RAW and realize how WOW it is(kinda like his D3s). I've met Jerry on a few occasions... good guy, but because of his workshops and years in teaching, he attains this proclivity that there's nothing else to learn except teach. Thats where you lose yourself... so remember guys, you are ALWAYS LEARNING no matter how pro ya get.

And the McNally comment, I was being sarcastic lol But hey, Jerry told me he would never leave Canon and look what happened. You never know... eh nvm Joe would NEVER opt for a Canon.

Feb 05, 2012 at 04:23 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Jerry Ghionis Switches to Nikon

DavidM5 wrote:
Jerry might be very candid in his blog but he is one of the top shooters in the wedding industry.

I do not think anyone has won more awards (over 100!) than him!
http://www.jerryghionisphotography.com/#/Awards/

His seminars at WPPI and other conventions sell out in a few hours!

I have attended his seminars quite a few times and he is one of the funniest, nicest, humblest person out there.
He has inspired me and I am sure a lot of others.

You are right, my comment sounded a bit harsh. I guess I was surprised by the lack of detail.

Feb 05, 2012 at 05:09 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Jerry Ghionis Switches to Nikon

joshn wrote:
I shoot Jpeg. It may sound harsh but I believe that shooting raw is compensation for poor photography. It's like an accountant who doesn't know how to use a calculator."

I hate this kind of pompous statement. It just as accurate to say "I shoot JPEG so I can let the tiny brain in the camera make all the decisions for me."

The whole "straight out of the camera" thing on digital is kind of BS for most people who say it. If you're using JPEG, the camera is making decisions about sharpening, saturation, etc. for you.

At the end of the day JPEG and RAW are just settings, each with a value proposition. There is nothing wrong with either one. Each has trade-offs and lots of pros in the same photography category shoot one or the other. He's got what works for him. Good for him.

Feb 05, 2012 at 05:43 PM
honorerdieu
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Jerry Ghionis Switches to Nikon

I shoot jpeg on the Fuji X100 because its film simulation cannot be duplicated in Lightroom 3.

The whole RAW vs. jpeg is all nonsense. His photography is obviously high caliber and the end result should speak for itself.

Feb 06, 2012 at 07:31 PM
Dan1
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Jerry Ghionis Switches to Nikon

joshn wrote:
Looks like you are correct. Found this
online:

"Do you shoot RAW?

I shoot Jpeg. It may sound harsh but I believe that shooting raw is compensation for poor photography. It's like an accountant who doesn't know how to use a calculator."

"I shoot RAW. It may sound harsh but I believe that shooting JPEG is compensation for poor understanding of cameras. It's like an accountant who doesn't know how to use mathematics."

fixed

Feb 06, 2012 at 10:55 PM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Jerry Ghionis Switches to Nikon

galenapass wrote:
Nice shots, but when you read the blog he does not come off as a knowledgeable professional. At lease IMO.

He certainly doesn't come off like a neurotic gearhead, like most of us here do...

Feb 07, 2012 at 06:44 AM
markd61
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Jerry Ghionis Switches to Nikon

DavidM5 wrote:
Jerry might be very candid in his blog but he is one of the top shooters in the wedding industry.

I do not think anyone has won more awards (over 100!) than him!
http://www.jerryghionisphotography.com/#/Awards/

His seminars at WPPI and other conventions sell out in a few hours!

I have attended his seminars quite a few times and he is one of the funniest, nicest, humblest person out there.
He has inspired me and I am sure a lot of others.

+100
Jerry Ghionis is absolutely one of the top wedding photographers around.

Listening to him is time well spent.

What he is saying is that Nikon works best for him as it feels natural.He is not dissing Canon. I use Canon because I need the 17 TS-E. I do really admire the Nikon line up these days though. The D-800E is really making me envious.

Feb 07, 2012 at 07:02 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password