Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · 3D coming?

Hrow
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 3D coming?

BTW... My guess is that Canon will keep the price of the 5D below $3K to keep its market share and go after the typical D700 user. If the Nikon D800 comes in higher and gives away some of the noise advantage of the D700 then Canon will find itself in a very nice position.

Where I expect them to add a camera is to take the 5D and drop in a 36mp with lower FPS for studio users and charge $1,000 - $1,500 more. A supercharged 5D, if you will. Very low R&D costs, very low manufacturing cost increases, very high profit.

Feb 04, 2012 at 12:45 PM
jamesf99
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 3D coming?

Some funny replies.

I didn't say anything about features that might or might not differentiate the 5d from the unicorn known as a 3d, but the talk of a 61pt pro level AF on the nonsense sites says to me that if there was any chance (0.00005%) of Canon providing decent AF on a non 1-series body, it sure as heck is NOT going to be on a 5d. Just my opinion.

What do people want? Good question and no matter what it is you can't please everyone, but if I had to summarize what I've wanted for many years it's a grip optional, pro level FF camera with a decent FPS and a 100% VF for starters. I sure don't need no stinkin video or 14 FPS - which is just public masturbation by Canon in my book.

My unchanging perspective remains that the 5 series is a down market camera (not entry level) and it will never rise to compete (other than MP/IQ) with a 1 series - in any capacity and especially not in AF. If Canon wants to up their game, and still over charge by today's standards which they want to do, they could release something above the 5 series; it's the perfect vehicle for a price hike (look at the 1DX, which upped the effective price of the 1D series by $1300).

We have the camera bodies/features we have today because that's what Canon wants to release. They take the available technology and either leave it on the table or include it but cripple it - all so profit is maximized. It's not so people get a no-excuses camera, and they could profitably sell us so much more for the money, but they're into profit maximization due to limited competition (that could change in the years ahead).

Heck, they could release a 5 and a 3, but the pursuit of a 3 is a favorite pastime of many, so everyone can still have hope, right?

Feb 04, 2012 at 01:56 PM
Hrow
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 3D coming?

The question James, is assuming the 5Dx will do nearly 7 FPS, has a 100% VF, has a better AF system than the last pro series camera, has better weather sealing, and has better noise performance than the last pro version what does it need to fulfill the ideal of the "3D"?

Not in any way trying to be argumentative, simply trying to understand. And I do realize those are big assumptions but we need a starting point for comparison.

Feb 04, 2012 at 03:29 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 3D coming?

jamesf99 wrote:
What do you think about the chance of the mythical 3d finally arriving?

But wait, if the mythical 3D arrived it would no longer by mythical, so how can a mythical 3D actually arrive? Is this the "magical 3D" effect that I so often read about?

Feb 04, 2012 at 03:49 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 3D coming?

What is this thread now about?

Feb 04, 2012 at 04:09 PM
artsupreme
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 3D coming?

Hrow wrote:
It's early - I haven't had a full cup of coffee - I know I am going to regret writing this...

If the rumored specs of the 5D3 are close to right, what more would you add to make the new 5D a 3D?

For 99% of the world 6.9 fps is more than adequate, and for most people the high speed merely results in the unnecessary death of millions of pixels who otherwise would have had a long and healthy life.

An improved 7D focusing system would be far superior to to that of a 1DMkIII and is already pretty
...Show more

Hmmm...in one post you've ruled out the existence of sports shooters, the high MP crowd, and ignored the need for pro AF and weather sealing....you must be on Canon's marketing/design team?

But claiming the 7D AF is far superior to the 1DIII really takes the cake!

Feb 04, 2012 at 05:03 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 3D coming?

Hrow wrote:
It's early - I haven't had a full cup of coffee - I know I am going to regret writing this...

If the rumored specs of the 5D3 are close to right, what more would you add to make the new 5D a 3D?

For 99% of the world 6.9 fps is more than adequate, and for most people the high speed merely results in the unnecessary death of millions of pixels who otherwise would have had a long and healthy life.

An improved 7D focusing system would be far superior to to that of a 1DMkIII and is already pretty
...Show more

I think he was saying the new 5D3 or whatever it is called is actually the new mythical 3D come to life.

Feb 04, 2012 at 06:03 PM
Hrow
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 3D coming?

artsupreme wrote:
Hmmm...in one post you've ruled out the existence of sports shooters, the high MP crowd, and ignored the need for pro AF and weather sealing....you must be on Canon's marketing/design team?

But claiming the 7D AF is far superior to the 1DIII really takes the cake!

Had three MkIIIs that couldn't focus constantly on a brick wall - literally. If you and others have MkIIIs that work that's wonderful. For me, my 7D is vastly superior to the MkIIIs that I owned and that Canon spent nine months trying and failing to fix.

Feb 04, 2012 at 07:25 PM
Hrow
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 3D coming?

skibum5 wrote:
I think he was saying the new 5D3 or whatever it is called is actually the new mythical 3D come to life.

Yep, and if not, what is missing that would be required to make the myth come alive.

Feb 04, 2012 at 07:26 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 3D coming?

wish in one hand, you know what in the other.

Feb 04, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

LightShow
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 3D coming?

It looks like the 5DIII(5DX) will have a similar AF system as the 1DX and have 22MP, and I would have to guess that build quality will be 7D-ish, with a refined focus on video.
But when the D800 comes out, the 22MP will "look" inferior to the D800's >30MP,
leaving the door open for Canon to then release the "3D"(a small 1DsIV if you will) with >30MP.

Feb 05, 2012 at 02:14 AM
Hrow
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 3D coming?

LightShow wrote:
It looks like the 5DIII(5DX) will have a similar AF system as the 1DX and have 22MP, and I would have to guess that build quality will be 7D-ish, with a refined focus on video.
But when the D800 comes out, the 22MP will "look" inferior to the D800's >30MP,
leaving the door open for Canon to then release the "3D"(a small 1DsIV if you will) with >30MP.

Interestingly, a fair number (or vocal minority - who really knows) of Nikon users seem upset at the 36mp and are afraid it will outstrip their computers and their lenses. They like the idea of a new 22mp 5D. However, a lot of people have a need or desire for more pixels so there is plenty of room for a range of bodies. What I don't see is why Canon would produce a whole new body (for this general price category) when they can simply drop a 36mp into the new 5D, add a letter to the logo and charge a bunch more for it.

Canon is better off doing that from a marketing perspective than Nikon would be taking the D800 body and throwing in a 22 mp sensor. Think cars for a second. People pay lots of money to add more horsepower and handling to average vehicles but downscaling a Corvette by dropping in a 6 cylinder and 15" tires probably wouldn't be particularly well received by the automotive press.

Feb 05, 2012 at 02:29 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 3D coming?

The reason for the 22MP is that it works perfectly for binning.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/01/5d-mark-iii-or-other-followup/
22 MP has some “magical” properties for HD video, as it corresponds exactly to a 3×3 oversampling of the final video resolution. (22 MP, minus crop for 16:9 ratio, divided by 9, equal 1080×1920)

The next “magical” resolution (4×4 oversamping) is at 39 MP.

Feb 05, 2012 at 03:53 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 3D coming?

whether it's the 7.5 fps, 22MP, 1DX AF 3D or the 32MP,6fps, 7D++ AF 5D3 they both sounds pretty nice, if something else then who knows

Feb 05, 2012 at 04:36 AM
Peter Le
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 3D coming?

LightShow wrote:
The reason for the 22MP is that it works perfectly for binning.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/01/5d-mark-iii-or-other-followup/

So they are possibly chasing the video market again.....seems they really don`t care about us landscapers anymore. I have shot with Canon all my life (that is a long time)....it may be time to try something else.
Peter

Feb 05, 2012 at 04:42 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 3D coming?

Peter Le wrote:

So they are possibly chasing the video market again.....seems they really don`t care about us landscapers anymore. I have shot with Canon all my life (that is a long time)....it may be time to try something else.
Peter

they are for sure chasing video market since that is rumored to have lead to a great bulk of 5D2 sales, that said the 22MP, 7.5fps specs are only CR1 and the crazy measurement of the reticulated archaeopteryxfowl on the 5DX in safari, in the other thread, hints 30MPish more likely than 22MP; 30MP,6fps would seem to step on 1DX toes less too than 22MP, 7.5 fps with 1DX AF since the latter might be good enough for all but the most serious of serious action shooters while the 30MP, 6fps, 7D++ AF would be good enough for fewer of those shooters

but who knows maybe they do bring the fabled 3D with 22MP, truly top AF and 7.5fps instead of the D800 clone plus, maybe they bring one now and the other at the end of the year?

we will see

Feb 05, 2012 at 05:06 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 3D coming?

Gochugogi wrote:
Slim to nothing and certainly not likely before the second coming of Jesus Christ.

Seems like win-win situation to me. Either way we are going to be extremely happy. And remember, good things come to those who wait.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Feb 05, 2012 at 09:54 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · 3D coming?

What does it matter what it's called? Seriously unless they call it a Corolla or Camry I could careless, 5D III, 5D X, 3D I'm not worrying.

FWIW I don't believe the 5D II replacement will be a lame update, but I for one hope it isn't anywhere near 36MP.

Feb 05, 2012 at 10:33 AM
alundeb
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · 3D coming?

jamesf99 wrote:
Some funny replies.

I didn't say anything about features that might or might not differentiate the 5d from the unicorn known as a 3d, but the talk of a 61pt pro level AF on the nonsense sites says to me that if there was any chance (0.00005%) of Canon providing decent AF on a non 1-series body, it sure as heck is NOT going to be on a 5d. Just my opinion.

Be prepared for a price jump with the announcement of the successor of the 5DII.

Feb 05, 2012 at 11:15 AM
jamesf99
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · 3D coming?

gdanmitchell wrote:
But wait, if the mythical 3D arrived it would no longer by mythical, so how can a mythical 3D actually arrive? Is this the "magical 3D" effect that I so often read about?

Exactly, but until such a time things change, in its current non-existent state the body remains mythical. It may magically appear in the future though..

Feb 05, 2012 at 03:14 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password