Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · 3D coming?

jamesf99
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 3D coming?

I've been periodically slumming on some unreliable rumor sites and as always people are talking about a new 5 series with improved AF. While I don't think the 5 series will ever rise to the level that some people do, I actually think there's a chance that the mythical 3D **could** arrive this year.

People still think the 5d3 will be a vastly improved camera but I think - if there is a new 5 series - I'm betting it will still be a down market body with crippled features.

It's no stretch to see how it makes sense at this point for Canon to release a 3D.

They can improve a number of things that people have been complaining about for years, but they can still get away with charging a huge premium for it by just renaming it the 3D. After all, for those that were shooting 14 years ago, you'll remember that the EOS 3 came out with the new 45pt AF, and that was years before it made it to the 1 series (the 1V/HS). The camera was a great performer for $999 and I lusted after one to throw in my suitcase at the time as a travel camera.

The pricing problem Canon has is the precedence they've established with two prior releases of a 5 series, so I think if Canon does release a 3 series (with optional grip), they will take the opportunity to increase the price to the $4k-$5k level. This strategy makes sense, especially when you see what other vendors are doing (Canon's value proposition has deceased significantly) and in light of the high-priced 1Dx. the 5 series can stay around as the entry level FF body (it always was one) and Canon once has a 3-tiered FF line up.

What do you think about the chance of the mythical 3d finally arriving?

Feb 04, 2012 at 01:13 AM
robsuh
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 3D coming?

It already arrived in July 2008. But Canon called it a Nikon D700.

Feb 04, 2012 at 01:16 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 3D coming?

jamesf99 wrote:
What do you think about the chance of the mythical 3d finally arriving?

Slim to nothing and certainly not likely before the second coming of Jesus Christ.

Feb 04, 2012 at 01:48 AM
artsupreme
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 3D coming?

There is a HUGE demand for it, so I doubt Canon will make it for us...

Feb 04, 2012 at 03:06 AM
JimboCin
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 3D coming?

I agree with you. I actually think there is a chance the 3D **could** be introduced this year.

I think there is an even greater chance the 3D will NOT be introduced this year.

Either way, I will be right in my prediction.

Feb 04, 2012 at 03:16 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 3D coming?

artsupreme wrote:
There is a HUGE demand for it, so I doubt Canon will make it for us...

I think the reason we all think there is such a high demand for this mythical 3D is because we all have our own view of exactly what this camera is. It is everyone's dream camera...yet most likely very few share a common feature set. No doubt when the 5d3 is released, it will meet some expectations and disappoint others. Such will be life.

Feb 04, 2012 at 03:17 AM
artsupreme
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 3D coming?

chez wrote:
I think the reason we all think there is such a high demand for this mythical 3D is because we all have our own view of exactly what this camera is. It is everyone's dream camera...yet most likely very few share a common feature set. No doubt when the 5d3 is released, it will meet some expectations and disappoint others. Such will be life.

I would have to disagree. People want a compact FF body capable of being a sports camera with 8fps minimum and pro AF. The 5D series has never had fast enough fps or good enough AF for the "3D" crowd:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1076256

Feb 04, 2012 at 03:23 AM
Jeff_Stapleton
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 3D coming?

I still think Canon is reserving the "3D" distinction for an improbable dual lens 3D DSLR or video camera

Feb 04, 2012 at 04:03 AM
artsupreme
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 3D coming?

Feb 04, 2012 at 04:09 AM
alrac
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 3D coming?

Nicely done, artsupreme. You know you could plant this on a rumor site or two and have it picked up as a real news story

Feb 04, 2012 at 04:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

artsupreme
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 3D coming?

It's a pretty old one:

http://www.petapixel.com/2010/05/17/canon-3d-dslr-conceptual-mockup/

Feb 04, 2012 at 04:28 AM
mweddle
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 3D coming?

I hope something like this comes out soon because I would be more than willing to take a 5DII off of somebody's hands if they're looking to upgrade.

Feb 04, 2012 at 04:53 AM
coranda
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 3D coming?

artsupreme wrote:
I would have to disagree. People want a compact FF body capable of being a sports camera with 8fps minimum and pro AF. The 5D series has never had fast enough fps or good enough AF for the "3D" crowd:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1076256

Unfortunately, that survey, being totally statistically invalid, doesn't give you any information about what "people want". It doesn't even tell us anything about what FM forum members want.

Feb 04, 2012 at 07:15 AM
artsupreme
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 3D coming?

coranda wrote:
Unfortunately, that survey, being totally statistically invalid, doesn't give you any information about what "people want". It doesn't even tell us anything about what FM forum members want.

You're right, 112 FM members didn't select that 3D option

and there was no "other" option at the bottom of the poll in case they didn't "want" anything in the invalid survey

Feb 04, 2012 at 07:23 AM
coranda
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 3D coming?

Yes, I am right, and I say that with some authority and I will say it again.

That survey, being totally statistically invalid, doesn't give you any information about what "people want".

This isn't opinion, it is mathematical fact. Independent of any problems with the options available, the sampling methodology is simply invalid.

Feb 04, 2012 at 07:38 AM
artsupreme
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 3D coming?

"If one of these bodies was close in price/spec to what you want"

Carry on, gotta get back to this project I'm working on but thanks for the laugh mate!

Feb 04, 2012 at 07:44 AM
digitalbug30d
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 3D coming?

artsupreme wrote:

a form factor that big..I would rather have a wide sensor format ya know 6cmx9cm..you know how awsome that would be..oh and make cheap...lol

Feb 04, 2012 at 07:59 AM
coranda
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 3D coming?

artsupreme wrote:

Carry on, gotta get back to this project I'm working on but thanks for the laugh mate!

Don't mention it. It's always entertaining to watch someone laugh at their own ignorance.

Feb 04, 2012 at 08:05 AM
panos.v
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 3D coming?

artsupreme wrote:
You're right, 112 FM members didn't select that 3D option

So true. I mean, 112 FM members, those same members that would like to buy something like that but most likely will not actually buy it once the time comes to put that credit card number into the little box, are indeed the most significant statistical survey every conducted on what a camera should be.

Feb 04, 2012 at 11:53 AM
Hrow
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 3D coming?

It's early - I haven't had a full cup of coffee - I know I am going to regret writing this...

If the rumored specs of the 5D3 are close to right, what more would you add to make the new 5D a 3D?

For 99% of the world 6.9 fps is more than adequate, and for most people the high speed merely results in the unnecessary death of millions of pixels who otherwise would have had a long and healthy life.

An improved 7D focusing system would be far superior to to that of a 1DMkIII and is already pretty decent. Increase low light sensitivity a bit, add some points, spread them out a bit and it seems they have come very close to fulfilling the desire for pro level AF. May not be as good as the 1Dx but could easily be better than anything that has come before it.

22 MP is plenty. Do we really "need more"? It is not unreasonable to assume that the noise levels will be better and they are already pretty good.

Add a gasket or two and call it "weather sealed."

What else could they add to make it a mythical 3D?

Feb 04, 2012 at 12:36 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password