Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Using domestic TV as monitor?

Andrew Wood
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Using domestic TV as monitor?

We live in a tiny flat in Hong Kong. I use MacBook Pro as there's not enough room for a desktop and monitor.

But we have a 32" LG LED TV.

Any thoughts on how I could use this TV as a monitor? I presume I'd need to calibrate it.

Or would I be wasting my time?

Thanks in advance.

Feb 03, 2012 at 06:03 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Using domestic TV as monitor?

Andrew Wood wrote:
We live in a tiny flat in Hong Kong. I use MacBook Pro as there's not enough room for a desktop and monitor.

But we have a 32" LG LED TV.

Any thoughts on how I could use this TV as a monitor? I presume I'd need to calibrate it.

Or would I be wasting my time?

Thanks in advance.

one thing to check is if it has a mode that eliminates chroma sub-sampling (which reduces blue and red signal resolution), if you can get around that it might be ok

Feb 03, 2012 at 06:55 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Using domestic TV as monitor?

You should be able to use it just fine (may need a DVI to HDMI adapter), assuming that your notebook has some digital output. Obviously the color and image characteristics will depend on the panel and may not be as good as the best monitors, but should be fine for typical uses.

EBH

Feb 03, 2012 at 01:14 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Using domestic TV as monitor?

Depends entirely on what you do with your photos...

Consider this. If you shoot in Daylight with Daylight WB, or in any conditions using Custom WB off a gray card the color will be as good in terms of color balance as your camera can make it. You can confirm this by putting the gray card in a test shot and measuring it with the eye dropper tool . The card image will be R=G=B (the exact values are not critical.

You know it is R=G=B normal intellectually because you set Custom WB and confirmed it with the eye dropper. The camera results become your trusted baseline for when color is "nominal". Not "right" or "correct" or "accurate" but simply as good as the technical limits of your camera can make it.

Now take that file you know is R=G=B "normal" (perceptually) and look at it side by side on your laptop and TV.

The will not look the same by direct comparison. That's not too important because your brain's perception will adapt to either if you are looking at them separately. The more important questions are:

1) Does the gray card you know is neutral look neutral?
2) Does the overall tonal range / contrast look similar to the scene viewed by eye.

If the answer to both questions is "yes" then that same file posted on the net and viewed on my monitor will also look similar. Not an exact match technically in absolute measurement, but close enough not to notice any technical defect (such as a red bias ) that makes the content of the photo seem other than normal.

By the same token if the images you view from other sites look OK on the laptop and TV used as monitor without any gross abnormalities they are "in the ball park" of being nominal as good as you can reasonably expect.

Feb 03, 2012 at 03:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Using domestic TV as monitor?

I've set up and use my TV as a third monitor. After profiling it looks about the same as my monitors. Although the TV is a ips panel its profile shows that it has a much smaller gamut than my pn monitor but it is a low end no name brand.

Feb 03, 2012 at 07:00 PM
Andrew Wood
• •
p.1 #6 · Using domestic TV as monitor?

Many thanks everyone!

Feb 06, 2012 at 03:28 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Using domestic TV as monitor?

You might find that there is little merit in using the TV as a monitor unless you sit very close to it - closer than you normally would. That's because at normal viewing distance the TV will look smaller than the laptop screen does on your lap, and so text and fine details will actually be harder to see.

There are different ways to use the TV as a monitor. One is to use a mini display port to HDMI adapter to connect to the TV with an HDMI cable. Another is to use combination wi-fi transmitter and receiver pair, with the transmitter connected to the computer and the receiver connected to the TV. Avoid analog video cables because you won't get the resolution that you'll be wanting.

Decide whether you want to show separate stuff on the laptop screen and the TV at the same time, and decide whether you can handle focusing on the two screens at different distances (something that gets harder with age as your eyes deteriorate).

- Alan

Feb 07, 2012 at 11:27 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password