Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Name in Exif Data

Jim Schemel
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Name in Exif Data

Been a while since i have had to change the name on a camera, who can remind me how to do this on a 1DsII, cannot remember what Canon program does this.Any help is appreciated
-Jim

Feb 02, 2012 at 11:07 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Name in Exif Data

EOS Utility. Do you have a firewire connector and port with current drivers?

Feb 02, 2012 at 11:12 PM
Jim Schemel
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Name in Exif Data

Jim,
I have an old Canon cord that does connect to the camera and the computer USB
-Jim

Feb 02, 2012 at 11:16 PM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Name in Exif Data

As I remember, and I think jcolwell was alluding to, is that in order to set custom functions, add your name etc. you must use the Firewire port on the 1DsII.

Feb 02, 2012 at 11:26 PM
PaulB
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Name in Exif Data

Firewire and a 32bit OS.

Feb 02, 2012 at 11:33 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Name in Exif Data

If you are using a Mac get the latest EOS utility v2.10.4
new version fully supports OSX v10.7.x (Lion)

Feb 02, 2012 at 11:36 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Name in Exif Data

It tells you how to do it in the EOS Utility Instruction Manual. If you don't have it, you can download it from the Canon site.

Feb 02, 2012 at 11:38 PM
Jim Schemel
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Name in Exif Data

Imagemaster wrote:
It tells you how to do it in the EOS Utility Instruction Manual. If you don't have it, you can download it from the Canon site.

Thanks to all.When i start up the EOS Utility it will not allow me to select Camera Settings / Remote Shooting the only option that is live is "Monitor Folder" Any thoughts why it will not allow me to select the right folder? PS i do not have a manual is the firewire connection the one with the lightning bolt on the outside.
-Jim

Feb 02, 2012 at 11:48 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Name in Exif Data

Try downloading from here:

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_1ds_mark_ii#BrochuresAndManuals

Feb 02, 2012 at 11:54 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Name in Exif Data

I don't have any Mk II bodies anymore. Here's a photo of the firewire (IEEE 1394) connector. Left connector goes in the camera, right connector goes in a like-shaped port on the computer. Good luck!

Feb 03, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Name in Exif Data

That's the old FW400 cable. If you have a recent iMac, Mac Pro or MacBook Pro it lacks FW400. However you can jack into the FW800 port with an inexpensive adapter. If you have one of the Thunderbolt only (lightning bolt icon) MacBook Airs you need a Thunderbolt to FW400 adapter. Not sure if how reliable the Thunderbolt adapters are (not tried one yet) but the FW400/800 adapters work perfectly.

Feb 03, 2012 at 12:24 AM
Jim Schemel
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Name in Exif Data

jcolwell wrote:
I don't have any Mk II bodies anymore. Here's a photo of the firewire (IEEE 1394) connector. Left connector goes in the camera, right connector goes in a like-shaped port on the computer. Good luck!

Thank You - Firewire for Dummies.Just what i needed
-Jim

Feb 03, 2012 at 02:55 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Name in Exif Data

abqnmusa wrote:
If you are using a Mac get the latest EOS utility v2.10.4
new version fully supports OSX v10.7.x (Lion)

Have you actually seen it work? I ask because I've got that version on my Mac's running Lion, and it doesn't work for my 1Ds2, 1D2n (both FW400), or my 10D (USB). The cameras do connect, and EOS utility opens, but the only menu choice not grayed-out is "Monitor Folder". The important "Camera settings/Remote shooting" choice is not available. Same problem Jim Schemel is having.

Feb 03, 2012 at 06:11 AM
aborr
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Name in Exif Data

I'm not a Mac expert, but I believe that newer (64 bit) Mac OS machines have the same issue as Windows boxes: For the 1Ds2 (and 1D2), you need a 32 bit firewire driver, and there is no 32bit firewire driver available for any 64bit OS on Intel hardware.

I keep a Windows XP box around to use with IDs2's. I understand that the older versions of the EOS utility that support the 1Ds2 also work on later Windows OS's, but only if you install the 32bit version of the OS rather than the 64bit one. Older versions of MAC OS were all 32bit, and they work fine with the IDs2, too.

Al

Feb 03, 2012 at 07:07 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Name in Exif Data

A friend has a laptop running Win7 32-bit, and I tried both the version of EOS Utility which was shipped with my 1Ds2, as well as the latest update, and neither would allow setting changes. The cameras were seen by the PC, but generated an error message stating no drivers were available, and Canon doesn't show any drivers on its site. For Windows users, keeping an old XP machine around seems like a good idea, but I wonder if the latest EOS utility is in fact compatible with the old 1D2 bodies? If I had a version that works, I'd avoid the update.

In the end, I installed a Snow Leopard partition on one of my Mac's, and used an older version of EOS Utility, which worked fine, through both FW400 and USB2.

Feb 03, 2012 at 07:22 AM
aborr
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Name in Exif Data

You're right about newer versions of the EOS Utility. I use an older version (2.6) for tethered shooting. They dropped support for the 1D2, 1Ds2, and the (original) 5D in recent versions.

I've only used the 1Ds2 with XP, but there was some discussion a while back in the 1Ds2 thread on the POTN forum about using 32 bit Vista, and at least one member said he was using his 1Ds2 with it successfully. That sounded reasonable to me - a lot of XP drivers work with 32 bit Vista. I don't know about the 32 bit version of Windows 7. Some people on POTN claim it's possible, but I've never tried it myself. I do know first hand that it doesn't work in "32 bit compatibility mode" on 64bit versions of Windows 7.

Feb 03, 2012 at 08:24 AM
chrisdee
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Name in Exif Data

Canon does not have support for any Firewire cameras in OSX Lion. If you want to use EOS Utility with the 1DsII, you need to boot under Snow Leopard, and use any recent version of EOS Utility. I did not have troubles connecting to the camera in either 64bit or 32bit modes under Snow Leopard.

Feb 03, 2012 at 09:13 AM
HelenaN
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Name in Exif Data

This will probably not help Jim (sorry), but it's related, so I'll post here.

My current computer has Win7 64bit. Here is what I have found:
-The CD that came with 5D won't install on Win7 64bit.
-Newer versions of EOS Utility, such as the one I got with S95, doesn't support 5D.
-Slightly older versions, like EOS Utility 2.6, can be installed and recognize 5D (transfer photos etc.), but won't give access to Remote Shooting, since there are no 64 bit drivers.

Fortunately, I have an old laptop with XP. I installed the original CD that came with 5D. To access Remote Shooting and change the name the camera must be in PC Connect mode. The program you need to use is called Camera Window (there's no EOS Utility on that CD).

To people using non 64bit systems and still can not access Remote Shooting:
You most likely need to go to Canon and download a driver for your camera. Don't forget to change "Operative system" to what you use, or else the drivers won't show up in the list.

Feb 03, 2012 at 11:48 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Name in Exif Data

Helena,

I was surprised to read that EOS Utility doesn't work with the 5D on 64-bit Win 7. It works fine with LiveView for my 1DsIII and 1DIV bodies - that's what I use for AF microadjust.

I just tested my 5D and sure enough, EOS Utility doesn't support it on my Win 7 64-bit notebook. I never noticed that before, because I always use a card reader to download images. I guess it means that I've never used my notebook to time synch my 5D, as it wouldn't have worked. I've done this many times for my 1D-series bodies. I guess that's progress

Jim

Feb 03, 2012 at 12:21 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Name in Exif Data

Jim it's a 64bit (and possibly a win7 32bit ) issue.
There are no 64bit drivers for most of the older bodies . It's canons job to do the drivers and they basically havnt bothered. Same issue with lots of other things like printers etc.

You can't even run win7 in legacy mode . If it were just the software you could but the USB drivers still need to be 64bit

There is something to be said for having an old XP 32bit system still running. Either on an old machine or a Dual boot .

Feb 03, 2012 at 12:44 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password