Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Eye-Fi + CF-SD adapter + D300

James Markus
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Eye-Fi + CF-SD adapter + D300

Has anyone got this combo working? Could you share the manufacturer of your CF adapter...the firmware version of your 8gb Eye-Fi X2 pro (read that version 5 broke the working combos) The lure of spending less than a $100 versus Nikon's $1000+ (battery & software) for the WT-4 is strong. I have a possible event that has time as the most critical factor. If the pictures could be offloading unto a laptop as I shot them...this would help tremendously.

Feb 02, 2012 at 02:15 PM
cantoni311

p.1 #2 · Eye-Fi + CF-SD adapter + D300

Have you used an Eye-Fi before? I'm curious about this way of using it as well. I don't have a camera that uses CF yet (i'm looking to get a 5d when i get some money saved) but i do have the eye-fi x2 pro card in my camera (i snagged it on a woot as a refurb). I have had mixed results so far. transfer seems somewhat slow. I'm also somewhat confused as to how to get it set up best. I just set up the endless setup and i'm going to experiment with it some this weekend. I've only had it a week or two but haven't spent much time with it. I do like having the app on my iphone to preview the shots tho. Just wish i could figure out how to keep it transferring.

Feb 02, 2012 at 02:33 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Eye-Fi + CF-SD adapter + D300

I've heard that the eye-fi cards dont work too well in CF card adapters...

Feb 02, 2012 at 02:43 PM
James Markus
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Eye-Fi + CF-SD adapter + D300

No Alex, I haven't used one yet. You know, every laptop over the last 5-8 years includes wifi...can you image how few laptops would they would sell if it was a $750-$1100 option? (Canon WFT-4 + battery and software, or Nikon WT-4 plus battery and software). Yet that is the state of wireless in the dslr world. This card - if adaptable could at least make this option reasonably priced.

Feb 02, 2012 at 03:49 PM
James Markus
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Eye-Fi + CF-SD adapter + D300

Nathan, I have heard both...I'm just hunting for the way it does work.

Feb 02, 2012 at 03:49 PM
cantoni311

p.1 #6 · Eye-Fi + CF-SD adapter + D300

it is of note that they can put a wifi transmitter in an sd card. seems to me it could be in anything. I figure it shouldn't be too long before it becomes a common part. Maybe it will show up in consumer level products first.

Feb 02, 2012 at 04:41 PM
James Markus
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Eye-Fi + CF-SD adapter + D300

Apparently, there is something unique about SD and wifi. Otherwise there would have been Compact flash versions long ago. Seems the SD association is trying to take advantage of this as well, but there are hints of a lawsuit that may occur.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-11673-12283

Feb 02, 2012 at 05:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Starlightbreakr
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · Eye-Fi + CF-SD adapter + D300

used one on d300, not too happy.

transfer rate and range dropped with the cf adapter.

Even with my d7000, the transfer is sloooow.

Feb 03, 2012 at 08:47 PM
jamez
• •
p.1 #9 · Eye-Fi + CF-SD adapter + D300

I can't say for sure the D300 works, but my D3 works fine. Range is an issue if you are using the "direct" transfer mode, but if you're on a wifi network it's great. Only send jpegs via the EyeFi though.

If this is a mission critical event, I'd pass on the EyeFi unless you have it tested and working perfectly on a wireless at the location. This is a perfect $100 solution, but it's far from a robust, guaranteed transfer type device.

I have a few videos outlining the process needed for converting the SD card into a CF type I and type II

This is the adapter illustrated
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/816112-REG/Digieffects_SDXCF_Extreme_SD_HC_XC_to_CF.html%5C

http://vimeo.com/30373749
http://vimeo.com/30075882

Let me know if you are able to get it up and running on the D300 and I'll update my posts.

As always, if anyone needs help with their EyeFi, PM me and I may be able to help you out.

Cheers

Jamez

Feb 07, 2012 at 04:31 PM
jamez
• •
p.1 #10 · Eye-Fi + CF-SD adapter + D300

James Markus wrote:
Nathan, I have heard both...I'm just hunting for the way it does work.

I had heard both as well so I dropped the $100 to make my own decision. I did a lot of testing and am glad I made the purchase. It will help me out in many of my shoots.

It works great in the D3 as long as you know its' limitations (range when in "direct" mode), jpeg file transfer, EyeFi app etc.

Feb 07, 2012 at 04:34 PM
James Markus
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Eye-Fi + CF-SD adapter + D300

Thanks James! The adapter is suppose to be here tomorrow, and looks to be the same one as in your video - except it has a red graphic, and not blue. It does specifically mention that it "supports" eye-fi in the ebay listing title. From what I had read - though - I may have to pry off the two metal plates.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330616327100

I wanted to ask you about what firmware version you are using on your eye-fi. I also want to use this card/adapter combo in Canon 5D Mk II - as well as the Nikon D300 which both support Compact Flash Type I / II plus have UDMA support. I have read that updating from v4.x to v5 breaks the adapter/eye-fi combo working in the canon. At the moment I have firmware v4.2...but direct transfer is grayed out...wants me update to use it. Is yours at v5 and working fine in the D3?

I think I know the answer to this, but I was going to see if it works in my D2X as well. It does support Compact Flash Type I / II but does not have UDMA support - which I assume will = fail.

My plan is to use a wifi router - I'll just grab the one out of my studio, because it seems to transfer faster, and has a greater range than the one I have at home. The last few days I have been using a Nikon s8000, and it's been a really slick experience. Here is hoping the same will occur with the bigger guns!

Feb 07, 2012 at 05:39 PM
jamez
• •
p.1 #12 · Eye-Fi + CF-SD adapter + D300

I can't speak to the 5D, but EyeFi's forum has a dedicated page to it
http://forums.eye.fi/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1352

No UDMA = fail ~ you are correct about that

My card is running 4.5162 and it's telling me to update to 5.0001. Given the problems you've mentioned I'm not really interested in updating. I had my direct connection configured before it's forcing this firmware update and I just confirmed that it does still work on the old 4.5.

Other options for portable wireless are devices called MyFi. I use one and use the EyeFi on it to great effect (you can also try to use your iPhone as a portable hotspot as well).

Feb 07, 2012 at 07:02 PM
James Markus
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Eye-Fi + CF-SD adapter + D300

Well, I finally got the adapter this am...long story...and I tested it already. I did NOT pry off the metal plates, because I wanted to see how limited the range was, first. Range was determined by how far the camera was from my router. As you can see...the wifi/adapter combo worked splendidly straight out of the box. Camera body is one of the very first Nikon D300 (November 2007 - which do have UDMA support - I think they all support udma), with the MB-D10 vertical grip attached. Eye-Fi card used was the 8gb Eye-Fi X2 pro, firmware version v4.2. All possible camera settings were changed to stay on, and not sleep. I don't see any reason to pry off the metal plates.

Methodology: Shoot 10 images, set down camera, hit "start" on my ipod stop watch...walk to my laptop leaving the camera behind, and see how long the total transfer took. I realize that normal shooting might effect the timing some, but I wanted a single image average.

D300-Test #1
40' range thru a wall = 14.2 seconds per image (average of 10 jpg "fine" & "Large" 4288x2848) avg file size = 7300 KB

D300-Test #2
40' range thru a steel desk & commercial office partition = 10.2 seconds per image (average of 10 jpg "normal" & "Medium" 3216x2136) - avg file size = 2100 KB

As long as I can stay within a reasonable distance to my router, the Eye-FI/Adapter combo is a really slick wireless alternative to the WT-4. The Eye-Fi also sent the RAW Nefs, and xmp files by default - at least I don't remember setting that up. BTW, It also worked in my 5D mk II, and even had faster transfers. However, the file sizes were smaller - which may explain why.

Feb 10, 2012 at 05:33 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password