Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Buy 5D for interior home shots?

Wobble
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Buy 5D for interior home shots?

Thinking of buying a used 5D to take home interior shots for real estate using my 17-40L (instead of buying a 10-22) I have a 7D and don't think the 17-40 is as wide as needed to get all 3 walls in a room. The 17 is really more like 27 with my 7D cropper I believe. Then I can keep my 70-200 f/2.8 on the 7D for wildlife for a little more reach. Ideas??

Feb 02, 2012 at 02:54 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Buy 5D for interior home shots?

Any time is a good time to buy a 5D.

Feb 02, 2012 at 03:00 AM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Buy 5D for interior home shots?

Go for it. 5D is fantastic Camera, now and many years to come.

Feb 02, 2012 at 03:10 AM
veroman
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Buy 5D for interior home shots?

Wobble wrote:
Thinking of buying a used 5D to take home interior shots for real estate using my 17-40L (instead of buying a 10-22) I have a 7D and don't think the 17-40 is as wide as needed to get all 3 walls in a room. The 17 is really more like 27 with my 7D cropper I believe. Then I can keep my 70-200 f/2.8 on the 7D for wildlife for a little more reach. Ideas??

Go to my web site. 95% of everything there was shot with the 5D. Everything else was the 1Ds and 1Ds II. If you're serious, I would suggest the 16-35 f/2.8 instead of the 17-40. The 17-40 is quite soft at the borders, and smeared there, too. You should also invest in a 24mm TS-E.
- Steve

Feb 02, 2012 at 03:15 AM
splathrop
• • •
p.1 #5 · Buy 5D for interior home shots?

The suggestion of the 24 TS-E becomes particularly useful when you use the shift to shoot and combine 3 portrait orientation interior shots. You can get spectacular 3-wall room interiors that way, even shot perpendicular to the long axis of most rooms. Gets rid of the bowling alley effect completely. Really long narrow rooms might call for the 17 TS-E.

Feb 02, 2012 at 03:21 AM
TeamSpeed
• • •
p.1 #6 · Buy 5D for interior home shots?

The Tokina 11-16 is a great lens on the 7D.

Feb 02, 2012 at 03:33 AM
gwaww
• •
p.1 #7 · Buy 5D for interior home shots?

I am cabinet/furniture builder by trade and have always needed photos of my work. I started with a 40d and a Tokina 12-24 and am now using a 5d and a 17-40. I like the 5d/17-40 combo very much. Use a tripod, stop down and keep the camera level, if possible, to minimize distortion. It works fine.

Feb 02, 2012 at 03:35 AM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #8 · Buy 5D for interior home shots?

5d is great for indoor shots. 5d II is even better if you don't want to set up lighting since it performs better at high ISOs

Feb 02, 2012 at 03:39 AM
leftymgp
• •
p.1 #9 · Buy 5D for interior home shots?

I recently bought a 5D and am pretty happy with it. I say go for it.

Feb 02, 2012 at 03:54 AM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #10 · Buy 5D for interior home shots?

I thank each of you for your suggestions. This is why I love having FM and all of the knowledgable followers available to me.

Jim

Feb 02, 2012 at 02:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

reno.peterson
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Buy 5D for interior home shots?

I'll parrot the buy idea. A 5D for anything is pretty much a good idea!!! I loved mine, and would love to actually have another.

Feb 02, 2012 at 02:34 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Buy 5D for interior home shots?

I've owned and used several 5D's for just this type of work.

Yes, they're great, but now I'd really really miss liveview for this kind of thing, the viewfinder or angle finder just isn't as good.

I rate the 18 meg crop sensor on a par with the original 5D for image quality at low ISO so if I were you I'd just buy a 10-22mm, I don't think you'll see any benefit in a 5D for interiors, plus the 7D LCD is miles better

Feb 02, 2012 at 02:46 PM
veroman
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Buy 5D for interior home shots?

datousteve wrote:
5d is great for indoor shots. 5d II is even better if you don't want to set up lighting since it performs better at high ISOs

Unless one is really, truly, unbelievably lucky with the ambient lighting, it's not really possible to shoot quality interiors without some sort of support lighting, strobes or otherwise.
- Steve

Feb 02, 2012 at 11:29 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Buy 5D for interior home shots?

I cant see reason why not buy 5D for this.

Feb 02, 2012 at 11:36 PM
veroman
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Buy 5D for interior home shots?

dhphoto wrote:
I've owned and used several 5D's for just this type of work. Yes, they're great, but now I'd really really miss liveview for this kind of thing, the viewfinder or angle finder just isn't as good. I rate the 18 meg crop sensor on a par with the original 5D for image quality at low ISO so if I were you I'd just buy a 10-22mm, I don't think you'll see any benefit in a 5D for interiors, plus the 7D LCD is miles better

I'd be really hard-pressed to say the same thing. I found the 7D had noticeable grain/noise at lower ISOs, similar in structure to the 5D Mark II noise at lower ISO. I also found its images weren't as natural and easy-going as the 5D images. Higher ISO images (800 and up) appeared to have some sort of built-in n/r, non-defeatable ... that gave the images a bit of a smeared look. That's how they looked to me anyway.

After shooting with the 7D (rented) and a 5D II (bought), I gladly returned to my 5D Classic (as well as my trusty 1DS II) for interior work. I'm a big-pixel fan ...
- Steve

Feb 02, 2012 at 11:51 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Buy 5D for interior home shots?

veroman wrote:
I'd be really hard-pressed to say the same thing. I found the 7D had noticeable grain/noise at lower ISOs, similar in structure to the 5D Mark II noise at lower ISO. I also found its images weren't as natural and easy-going as the 5D images. Higher ISO images (800 and up) appeared to have some sort of built-in n/r, non-defeatable ... that gave the images a bit of a smeared look. That's how they looked to me anyway.

After shooting with the 7D (rented) and a 5D II (bought), I gladly returned to my 5D Classic (as well as my trusty
...Show more

It's just good we have a choice. Don't get me wrong I have earned a lot of money with 5D's doing industrial and other interiors, but I'm very impressed with the IQ of my 550D (which has the 7D sensor obviously). I'm also talking about lower ISO's which the OP would be using for tripod based interiors. 18 meg crop does well against 12 meg FF IMO

Getting into tight corners is also so much easier with liveview and a good LCD, plus the 7D has a built-in level.

I'm a big 5D fan and I will always own and use at least one, but they aren't magic IMHO, at least not as magic and sainted as they're often portrayed

Feb 03, 2012 at 07:40 AM
cmm1398

p.1 #17 · Buy 5D for interior home shots?

Interesting thread. I just recently picked up a 5d2 and 16-35 for this very purpose. Lens is out for delivery this morning and we have an appt at Noon. I'll let you know how it goes.

Feb 03, 2012 at 03:14 PM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · Buy 5D for interior home shots?

cmm1398 wrote:
Interesting thread. I just recently picked up a 5d2 and 16-35 for this very purpose. Lens is out for delivery this morning and we have an appt at Noon. I'll let you know how it goes.

5D2, different story from either the 5D or the 7d. Superb for interiors.
I have a 17-40L and a Sigma 12-24 for mine, together with the excellent Seculine cross electronic level.

Edited on Feb 03, 2012 at 03:17 PM · View previous versions

Feb 03, 2012 at 03:16 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #19 · Buy 5D for interior home shots?

jcolwell wrote:
Any time is a good time to buy a 5D.

This sounds like a great commercial slogan.

Feb 03, 2012 at 04:37 PM
timpdx
• • •
p.1 #20 · Buy 5D for interior home shots?

I use a 5DII with a Tokina 16-28 and 24LII as my main lenses. I find the 5D files more malleable than the 7D, which I owned for a year and a half, and make no mistake, the 7D is a very capable cam for this sort of thing, but I like to do post processing and can work with the 5D files better than the 7D ones. But the question is what is your output, a brochure for a homebuilder? Web images for realtors? if that is your output, then just stick with the 7D and something like the Tokina 11-16. Magazines and archival images for the architect, well then maybe go the 5D route.

Feb 03, 2012 at 04:51 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password