FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Rolly polly

JJuLLiAAn
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rolly polly

C&C wanted.

Edit: Added two other variations of the original, I like the last the best. I agree that it was slightly soft so I gave it a little bit of sharpening.

Julian

Edited on Feb 01, 2012 at 09:56 PM · View previous versions

Feb 01, 2012 at 05:38 PM
JJuLLiAAn
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rolly polly

I kinda like the original better, not that your's isn't good but I always seem to prefer the unprocessed images. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Julian

Feb 01, 2012 at 09:29 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rolly polly

JJuLLiAAn wrote:
I kinda like the original better, not that your's isn't good but I always seem to prefer the unprocessed images. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Julian

No problem

Bob

Feb 01, 2012 at 10:05 PM
JJuLLiAAn
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rolly polly

Thanks, so I just need to have more DOF? I was wondering if you could tell me if you like the composition and the overall image?

Julian

Feb 01, 2012 at 11:10 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rolly polly

In terms of composition, the subject is perhaps too close to the long dimension centerline. The lighting was rather flat and doesn't add much interest to the subject. For this subject a side-on POV is generally less interesting than a 3/4 view (part side/part overhead) which would better show the three dimensional shape of the sow bug.

Feb 01, 2012 at 11:49 PM
JJuLLiAAn
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rolly polly

Okay thanks next time I will try that.

Feb 02, 2012 at 12:13 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rolly polly

Personally, I still think you need more sharpening. RAW does not mean "natural" but rather unprocessed, unfinished. It is, of course, a matter of taste and preference how contrasty, saturated, sharpened one likes.
In terms of composition, I like these a series, showing how these creatures climb up, down and alongside the vegetation. As a single image the third works best for me with the steep climb. I agree about a bit more DOF. That would partially obviate the extra sharpening.
Scott

Feb 02, 2012 at 07:23 AM
JJuLLiAAn
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Rolly polly

Does this look any better then the original?

Feb 02, 2012 at 04:43 PM
JJuLLiAAn
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Rolly polly

How do you selectively sharpen? Thanks for the suggestions, do you think that making it go from corn or to corn or would look good?

Julian

Feb 02, 2012 at 08:33 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Rolly polly

It's a question of visual balance and the flow of the eye. For selective sharpening, I just used the Sharpen Tool in Photoshop to apply sharpening at a low percentage in brush-like strokes. It allows me to sharpen without over-doing it. Other programs I presume have other ways to selectively sharpen.

Feb 02, 2012 at 09:18 PM
JJuLLiAAn
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Rolly polly

Okay, I don't think that you I can do that with them ViewNX software.

Julian

Feb 02, 2012 at 09:43 PM
JJuLLiAAn
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Rolly polly

Does this look good or is it overdone or mabye underdone?

Feb 02, 2012 at 09:58 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Rolly polly

JJuLLiAAn wrote:
Okay, I don't think that you I can do that with them ViewNX software.

Julian

For selective editing you need Capture NX. ViewNX, and it has been some time since I used it, I believe is limited to global edits.

Bob

Feb 03, 2012 at 08:04 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Rolly polly

Time for LR. Or maybe Photoshop Elements.
Scott

Feb 03, 2012 at 10:49 AM
JJuLLiAAn
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Rolly polly

I actually don't have the money for that right now I need to buy a backpack so the I can actually carry my camera.

Julian

Feb 03, 2012 at 11:49 AM
JJuLLiAAn
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Rolly polly

I was just playing with the image and does this look any better in terms of the yellows?

Feb 03, 2012 at 12:40 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Rolly polly

yes

Feb 03, 2012 at 02:04 PM
JJuLLiAAn
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Rolly polly

Thanks, but I wish that I could clone out that piece of something at the top because cropping it out just makes it to tight.

Julian

Feb 03, 2012 at 02:14 PM
JJuLLiAAn
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Rolly polly

That actually looks really good, now let me ask you, I was thinking of mabye entering this image into the slrgear.com contest but it has pretty shallow DOF I was doing some flower shots at a low f/stop and forgot to change it. Do you think it has potential?

Julian

Feb 03, 2012 at 03:19 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Rolly polly

It would depend upon the competition and the judges. If it was a weekly assignment (WA) FM competition and the topic was "macro", probably not. It's an OK image, but not especially exciting. OTOH, in any other competition, who knows? In general, at least 2/3s of the time, I see the WA winner and wonder, what were those voters smoking? But hey, enter anyway. It's needn't be about winning. I've never won a WA but I still lob one over the fence into the competition now and then. I make my images for me. If others like 'em, great. If not, well I do.

Unless you are shooting for ego strokes, prizes or money, the only question that matters, in the end, is are *you* happy with it?

Edited on Feb 03, 2012 at 08:52 PM · View previous versions

Feb 03, 2012 at 08:46 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.