end

Archive 2012 · Canon 1D-x

Rav13
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Canon 1D-x

Agreed with the Ferrari comparison, I just love Ferrari's! lol

adrianb wrote:
Your comparison with buying Ferrari is hardly relevant...

I can see people drifting away with the idea of whether one should/could buy a 1Dx...

Feb 03, 2012 at 06:27 AM
adrianb
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Canon 1D-x

I love bikes... I know driving and owning a car is less expensive and more safe... and a car will get me from A to B safer....

But I love bikes way too much and rather have a bike. (which I use for both pleasure and means of transportation)...

But a bike and a car are two different things....even if they can BOTH get you from A to B.
Also a Fiat is very different from a Ferrari,even if they can both get you from A to B.

You don't buy a Ferrari for the same reasons you buy a Fiat...

On the other hand cameras are much more alike (unless you're comparing a Canon 300D to a 1DX)..

But what we were ACTUALLY talking is people upgrading from 1DS III /1D III /5D II to 1DX (which are much closer cameras)

Feb 03, 2012 at 06:38 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Canon 1D-x

timbop wrote:
To those berating those wanting the 1dx: I'm curious why you think someone else has to justify spending their own money?

+1

Feb 03, 2012 at 07:56 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Canon 1D-x

The question at least is what somebody needs or believes to need.
There where millions of fantastic pictures done the last 100 and more years without AF.
When I see a new camera does not fit my expectations, I look if it fullfills my needs. If it does I have to decide. If it does not, it is just not done for me. What does a comment like "Canon missed it again!" mean or change? And what did they miss again? Not making someone personaly happy. Because they build one of the most successfull cameras up to date (e.G.: 5D MK II), that does not fullfill somebodys expectation? I was so often told (even here) that I am a blind fanboy and I shoul look and see what great gear other competitors deliver. When I answered, that none of them fullfill my needs, it started blaming fights. Why that? The gear we can use today is great. What is better for one may be needless for an other one. And the opposite. If somebody wants the 1D X and believes it will help him or just give him some pleasure, he should purchase it. If somebody believes this will not be in his case, he is not the target group. That does not mean a manufacturer failed.

Ralph

Feb 03, 2012 at 08:05 AM
adrianb
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Canon 1D-x

Ralph Conway wrote:
The question at least is what somebody needs or believes to need.

True. this is what I was talking about...some of us basing our judgement/choices on more technical/relevant reasons...some of us..don't.

One thing is to virtually NEED a 1Dx to get the job done, another thing is to WANT one...

Ralph Conway wrote:
There where millions of fantastic pictures done the last 100 and more years without AF.

Let's not get back to the 'dark ages'... we're discussing digital photography...still...

Ralph Conway wrote:
When I see a new camera does not fit my expectations, I look if it fullfills my needs. If it does I have to decide. If it does not, it is just not done for me.

True

Ralph Conway wrote:
What does a comment like "Canon missed it again!" mean or change? And what did they miss again? Not making someone personaly happy. Because they build one of the most successfull cameras up to date (e.G.: 5D MK II), that does not fullfill somebodys expectation? I was so often told (even here) that I am a blind fanboy and I shoul look and see what great gear other competitors deliver. When I answered, that none of them fullfill my needs, it started blaming fights. Why that? The gear we can use today is great. What is better for one
...Show more

I believe the general consensus is that the outer af points on the 5DII are a bit unusable,apart from that ,it's a pretty good camera...

But you really cannot argue and state that Canon hit the 'spot on' with the AF on 5Dc / 5D II ?

This is the only thing I can complain about the 5DII....

Feb 03, 2012 at 09:13 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Canon 1D-x

I understand when people are angry about not beeing able to define "auto ISO". that should be easy in firmware.

Feb 03, 2012 at 09:57 AM
adrianb
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Canon 1D-x

Ralph, by the way (and i'm NOT being ironic), if you had the $$$, what would drive you towards the 1Dx....what features are appealing to you?

Where i'm situated (not that experienced) I'd say I would enjoy the high ISO and better AF...... and current 1D owners....would probably say just the ISO (since their 1D series already focus just fine)

Feb 03, 2012 at 10:18 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Canon 1D-x

adrianb wrote:
Ralph, by the way (and i'm NOT being ironic), if you had the $$$, what would drive you towards the 1Dx....what features are appealing to you?

Where i'm situated (not that experienced) I'd say I would enjoy the high ISO and better AF...... and current 1D owners....would probably say just the ISO (since their 1D series already focus just fine)

Better AF is always good. But you are right. The important feature for me is ISO. And of course, the AF working range from -2 EW instead of - 0,5). 5D II is great in ISO 3.200 and even in 6.400 with some NR in developing. I saw ISO 12.800 samples of Nikons D4 and D3s. They are slighty better then 5D IIs. But (like 5D IIs) does not convince me to use it. The noise made me feel uncomfortable. I wished to have "usable" 12.800/25.600 a couple of times in the past. I do prefere not to use flashes.

Thatīs it, what makes me think about using a 1D X. I would not care, if it would offer only 5 FPS or even less. Canons promise of even better IQ then 1Ds MK III at 3MP less does. 400.000 (estimated) shutter cycles instead of 150.000 (now) would be a nice to have and of course the 1D sealing. Not that I had problems till now even in rain. But Dmitris news, his 2 bodies broke in Africa gives me the idea, pro seal could be an impotant feature for my photographic ambitions in futur.

Ralph

Edit:
So if there is a 5D or 7D (FF) follow up at 18MP and usable ISO 25k, higher EV (and everything else like 5D II) for about 2.500 - 2.700, of course I would prefere to purchase that (2 times - I do not own a backup body jet) and 2 new lenses, instead of a 1D X (even if I do not have to care for money).

Feb 03, 2012 at 10:40 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Canon 1D-x

To refresh this thread:
Of course it is a rumor. But as far there are still no ISO 51k images in full resolution to me even the announced specs are just rumors.

But that might be interesting for anybody here F 8.0 AF might be implemented!

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/02/canon-eos-1d-x-f8-to-be-added-cr1/

Now I just wait for the message that Canon decided the 1D X should start at $ 5799! ;-)

Feb 05, 2012 at 04:08 PM
joshn
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Canon 1D-x

We got a chance to play with one and at ISO 25k it was pretty clean. You can see a video of it here

Feb 05, 2012 at 06:39 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Canon 1D-x

adrianb wrote:
You aced it.

+1

And the original poster here is merely a shutterbug!

Feb 05, 2012 at 07:50 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.