Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Best inkjet printer quality/value up to 14 inches wide?

friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Best inkjet printer quality/value up to 14 inches wide?

I was just looking at the Canon Pro9000 Mark II -- and thought it would make sense to pose the question here.

I'd like a printer that can print up to at least 13x19, such as the Pro9000 Mark II, but I wondered about the quality of the printer. The Epson 3880 is more than I was wanting to spend, but that might be the way to go?

I use a printer through my website, where most of my prints are ordered and thus printed from. Right now, I'm using an HP Photosmart C6380, which I like a lot, but I'm planning to really upgrade in 2012. I'm thinking the Pro9000 Mark II and obviously the Espon 3880 would be significant upgrades in the quality of color printing from what I'm currently using.

Thoughts?

Ron

Jan 31, 2012 at 08:05 PM
richdavid
• • •
p.1 #2 · Best inkjet printer quality/value up to 14 inches wide?

Hi Ron

B&H Has a rebate going on the Canon Pro9500 Mark II. I just bought it and like what I see so far. My HP 7960 gave up the ghost and I've read some pretty good comments about this Canon printer. Good luck on your search.

Rich

Feb 01, 2012 at 03:16 AM
tkearney
• • •
p.1 #3 · Best inkjet printer quality/value up to 14 inches wide?

richdavid wrote:
Hi Ron

B&H Has a rebate going on the Canon Pro9500 Mark II. I just bought it and like what I see so far. My HP 7960 gave up the ghost and I've read some pretty good comments about this Canon printer. Good luck on your search.

Rich

+1 for the Canon Pro9500 Mark II. I really like mine. If I was buying again, I would check out the newest model.

Feb 01, 2012 at 06:53 AM
lesaus
• •
p.1 #4 · Best inkjet printer quality/value up to 14 inches wide?

tkearney wrote:
+1 for the Canon Pro9500 Mark II. I really like mine. If I was buying again, I would check out the newest model.

I have had my 9500 II for a couple of years now and couldn't be happier. Note that the 9000 uses dye-based ink and the 9500 inks are pigment.

The advantage of the 9500 over the 9000 is the ability to print B&W's with the addition of matte blank and grey cartridges. I print 95% color, but still use a lot of the grey ink.

The 9000 is for color prints and reports give it a slight edge over the 9500 for color. But, the color prints I get from my 9500 are stunning to say the least.

You would be happy with either one.

Feb 01, 2012 at 03:50 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Best inkjet printer quality/value up to 14 inches wide?

I understand the pigment-based ink is better for longevity, just researching whether it's worth spending more for the 9500. I like the idea of printing b&w, as it's less than 10% of my output but important nonetheless. If the color printing of the 9500 is stunning as you say (and I believe you), then the added benefit of better b&w printing by the 9500 makes it the way to go for me.

Thanks for your response!

Ron

Feb 01, 2012 at 07:20 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Best inkjet printer quality/value up to 14 inches wide?

friscoron wrote:
I understand the pigment-based ink is better for longevity, just researching whether it's worth spending more for the 9500. I like the idea of printing b&w, as it's less than 10% of my output but important nonetheless. If the color printing of the 9500 is stunning as you say (and I believe you), then the added benefit of better b&w printing by the 9500 makes it the way to go for me.

Thanks for your response!

Ron

I took advantage of the rebate at B&H and bought the 9500 for Christmas. I bought it mainly for the true B&W capability, which is remarkable. I've been bowled over by the color rendition as well. I'm still evaluating paper and tweaking my technique, but the printer was spot on out of the box.

With the rebate, I think it's a bargain. I figured it had a rebate to clear it out for an update and sure enough I found out they were releasing a new model. At first I kind of wished I'd waited and got the new one with 12 instead of 10 carts which have extra ink capacity, but now I'm reading the new carts will run nearly twice as much so there will be little savings in ink costs.

Feb 01, 2012 at 07:48 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Best inkjet printer quality/value up to 14 inches wide?

Thanks for continuing to make this a difficult choice. I was really leaning toward the 9000 -- less expensive, better color prints -- but I really want the B&W printing capability of the 9500. It seems that the color quality is really not that great between the 9000 and 9500, based on the reviews I've read on the internet. Still just thinking it through... I know I'll be happy either way I go.

Feb 01, 2012 at 10:28 PM
bobh665

p.1 #8 · Best inkjet printer quality/value up to 14 inches wide?

I went to a Canon demo of both printers and was able to see side by side comparisons of both B&W and color prints with the same images. The color on the 9000 is outstanding and has slightly more pop than the 9500. As far as B&W goes the 9500 is true B&W. The 9000 is also very good in my opinion. The difference is the 9000 is slightly warmer for B&W. I bought the 9000 and am very happy with it. I have printed about 2x more color than B&W. I switched to Canon from Epson because I was wasting so much ink doing print head cleanings because of plugged nozzles. After 9 months I have had no problems or clogs with my 9000.

Feb 01, 2012 at 10:55 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #9 · Best inkjet printer quality/value up to 14 inches wide?

This printer is mentioned a lot and I have posted a lot on it......but in a nutshell...I bought the R2880 in preference to the 9500 mk2 for B+W prints...because most reviews I read gave it the edge...and because there was a good range of quality 3rd party inks available.

I also have the 9000 mk2...which I bought in favour of the R1900, for colour...and because there is good quality 3rd party inks for the 9000mk2. With this printer, I buy OCP inks and refill and reset the OEM carts and ink costs are maybe 10% of Canon ink costs. The prints are gorgeous on Ilford Pearl.

The Canon can produce excellent monochrome prints but not truly neutral.....I have tried a lot of experimentation and failed. I have come close. Viewing light can cause a slight shift. So in this respect the R2880 is better......but no other in my opinion.

In 14 months the Canon has never clogged...not once. In 4 months I once lost a couple of magenta nozzles on the R2880.....I did a small reference print and the next nozzle check was perfect.

Feb 02, 2012 at 01:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Best inkjet printer quality/value up to 14 inches wide?

bobh665 wrote:
I went to a Canon demo of both printers and was able to see side by side comparisons of both B&W and color prints with the same images. The color on the 9000 is outstanding and has slightly more pop than the 9500. As far as B&W goes the 9500 is true B&W. The 9000 is also very good in my opinion. The difference is the 9000 is slightly warmer for B&W. I bought the 9000 and am very happy with it. I have printed about 2x more color than B&W. I switched to Canon from Epson because I was
...Show more

Thanks, this was very helpful. I don't print enough B&W to justify going with the 9500. I'm going to sleep on it, but I think tomorrow I put in the order for the 9000.

Ron

Feb 02, 2012 at 04:16 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Best inkjet printer quality/value up to 14 inches wide?

anthonygh wrote:
This printer is mentioned a lot and I have posted a lot on it......but in a nutshell...I bought the R2880 in preference to the 9500 mk2 for B+W prints...because most reviews I read gave it the edge...and because there was a good range of quality 3rd party inks available.

I also have the 9000 mk2...which I bought in favour of the R1900, for colour...and because there is good quality 3rd party inks for the 9000mk2. With this printer, I buy OCP inks and refill and reset the OEM carts and ink costs are maybe 10% of Canon ink costs. The prints
...Show more

Thanks, one of my concerns is that I wouldn't print enough and the 9500 is morely likely to clog with the pigment ink. This was really helpful. Can you tell me where you buy the 3rd party inks?

I bought 3rd party inks for my HP Photosmart 6380, and most of them didn't work. Waste of money. But it sounds like you're not having that issue.

Ron

Feb 02, 2012 at 04:17 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Best inkjet printer quality/value up to 14 inches wide?

R3000 from Epson may be an option too

Feb 02, 2012 at 05:09 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #13 · Best inkjet printer quality/value up to 14 inches wide?

friscoron wrote:
Thanks, one of my concerns is that I wouldn't print enough and the 9500 is morely likely to clog with the pigment ink. This was really helpful. Can you tell me where you buy the 3rd party inks?

I bought 3rd party inks for my HP Photosmart 6380, and most of them didn't work. Waste of money. But it sounds like you're not having that issue.

Ron

I live in the UK so my supplier will be no use to you....but I use German made OCP ink...if you google them you will get their home website and they will tell you where you can order in your country. OCP is a major ink manufacturer with years of production history. They don't do ink for the 9500. One of the reasons I didn't go for it was that no-one did 3rd party pigment inks for it which is a pity.

I would say that my R2880 (still on Epson inks) is effectively clog free so far..... a nozzle check once a week probably helps and uses minimal ink....a habit from my R1800 days!!

Feb 02, 2012 at 11:20 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Best inkjet printer quality/value up to 14 inches wide?

Whichever inks you use, but especially if you use third party inks, you'll be well advised to have an appropriate colormunki or whatever to do your own printer profiling. This will be necessary every time you change any cartridge to different ink (and you'll rarely change them all at once) and for every type of paper that you use.

If you were doing LOTS of prints then consider a printer that has bigger cartridges that are cheaper per mL of ink.

Some printers are best left in standby mode rather than power off so that they can automatically agitate the ink cartridges to prevent clogging.

- Alan

Feb 02, 2012 at 02:14 PM
jts52

p.1 #15 · Best inkjet printer quality/value up to 14 inches wide?

While I love the output of my 9500 the small cartridges are definitely a negative - seems I'm always getting a warning for one or more cartridges being nearly out of ink. The new Pro-1 has 35ml cartridges, but I may switch to the Epson 3880 simply because of the 80ml cartridges. Unless, of course, the Pro-1 has significantly superior output compared to the Epson.

Feb 02, 2012 at 07:30 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Best inkjet printer quality/value up to 14 inches wide?

I'm actually thinking of stepping up and getting the Epson Stylus Pro-4900. There's a great package at Adorama and a $500 rebate on top of that.

Feb 02, 2012 at 11:07 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #17 · Best inkjet printer quality/value up to 14 inches wide?

Of course the beauty of the 9000 is that the OEM carts are easy to refill and re set......so when one shows empty it is quick to top up and re set all of them at the same time...so the printer thinks it has a new set of carts...does the normal ink flush.....then no further problems until one runs out again.

This totally eliminated the constant changing of carts and all that wasted ink as actual cart change flushes are dramatically reduced. So not only is the bulk ink much cheaper..a lot less is flushed away.

The other benefit is the ink pads inside the printer don't get a hammering.

Feb 03, 2012 at 01:57 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password