Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Another Lightroom Query

splathrop
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Another Lightroom Query

I am setting up a Lightroom workflow for a large existing collection of images. Some of my image file names incorporate picture names (the same ones used when the images are offered for sale) that use spaces between words instead of underscores. Those names also include other identifying information that matches the image file names on previous versions of the same image, including the original. In essence, the picture name is the marker for the final version, from which the original can usually not be reconstructed. So I need to save both versions.

My question is this: am I going to have to go in by hand and manually change those word spaces to underscores to use these images in Lightroom, and to keep track of which are the finals and which are the others?

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:32 AM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Another Lightroom Query

it depends. LR has a 'during import, replace illegal filename characters w/ something else' function (and you get to specify what that something else is). Offhand, I dont recall if simple spaces are illegal though (I think they're OK) (things like @$^#^*() usually are illegal).

Try it w/ a test/junk catalog/import

Re: final images, I think you'll be able to select the images based on filename fragments and assign keywords, colors or stars to them if you like

Jan 30, 2012 at 01:18 PM
Carson Wilcox
• •
p.1 #3 · Another Lightroom Query

Spaces are not an illegal character in a filename in LP they work just fine.

Jan 30, 2012 at 01:27 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Another Lightroom Query

Just test import one of the files that you have doubts about. If it fails then you know it won't work. If it works then you can still include it in the nest bulk import and the do-not-import-duplicates option will prevent an unwanted duplication.

- Alan

Jan 30, 2012 at 09:13 PM
mhayes5254
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Another Lightroom Query

As Carson said: spaces are ok in LR. I have gave up underscores years ago

Feb 01, 2012 at 06:45 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password