Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Faux HDR

tsitalon1

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Faux HDR

Just playing around...Probably a bit much for some, but cool none the less.

Link

Thoughts?

PS: for some reason I have a hard time embedding Picasa pics into this site...any pointers for reliable embedded pics?

Jan 30, 2012 at 03:30 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Faux HDR

Actually ... doesn't look HDR to me, I like it.

Jan 30, 2012 at 04:11 AM
Gregstx
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Faux HDR

^Yeah, what he said.

Jan 30, 2012 at 04:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Faux HDR

I like the intense color, but a lower shooting position may have rendered a more appealing composition.

Jan 30, 2012 at 06:16 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Faux HDR

The rationale underlying HDR is that a camera sensor can't handle the full range of the scene. So if you expose for highlights under clipping 2-4 stops shadow detail is lost, the amount of lost varying with the angle of the light.

If you expose one file for highlights, then slow shutter 3-4 stops so as not to alter DOF with the bracketing you'll capture the full range of detail in two files with an overlap of detail in the mid-tones. What I do rather than let an automated program blend the exposures is layer the highlight and shadow exposures and then with a mask on the shadow layer open in where I want more shadow detail in image. For example I'll add more shadow detail in the middle of the frame than the edges to create a vignette effect. The net result isn't exaggerated detail but a final image that has the same detail seen by eye.

I reworked the linked image, which was underexposed in highlights and shadows, for a full normal "seen by eye" tonal range. Not as much shadow detail as would be seen with two bracketed exposures but closer to what a full range HDR would look like. I used a 2 pixel 255 trap rule and 0 black border and perceptual "anchors" for comparing the tonal range in the Photo.

http://super.nova.org/EDITS/HDR.jpg

Jan 31, 2012 at 01:13 AM
KentB

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Faux HDR

I don't think it looks like HDR. To me it looks like it was shot during 'golden hour' with a polarizer and slightly under exposed. I like it, it reminded me of film, Velvia gets a similar look. Thanks for posting.

-kb

Jan 31, 2012 at 01:26 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password