Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2012 · Limited evidence mystery camera (5DX) is 30MP+

skibum5
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Limited evidence mystery camera (5DX) is 30MP+

I'm still thinking 32MP,6fps,minimum 7D AF [and hopefully better (since I could swear the 5D2 center point actually does better than the 7D center point at times and the 7D can have frightful failures compared to 1 series under certain lighting)].

Jan 30, 2012 at 09:48 PM
timbop
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Limited evidence mystery camera (5DX) is 30MP+

skibum5 wrote:
I'm still thinking 32MP,6fps,minimum 7D AF [and hopefully better (since I could swear the 5D2 center point actually does better than the 7D center point at times and the 7D can have frightful failures compared to 1 series under certain lighting)].

I concur, but not based on anything presented in this thread

Jan 31, 2012 at 06:45 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Limited evidence mystery camera (5DX) is 30MP+

timbop wrote:
I concur, but not based on anything presented in this thread

For all the talk about how it has to share the 1DX sensor it is good to recall that we only have two prior data points and while for the 5D2+1Ds3 they did share, for the 5D2+1Ds2 they did not share.

For kicks I may take a quick snap of my 5D2 later and apply this method and see what I come up with. I hope I get like 40MP for my 5D2. Then I will have all the reach I need and no need for a new camera body.

Jan 31, 2012 at 09:09 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Limited evidence mystery camera (5DX) is 30MP+

skibum5 wrote:
For all the talk about how it has to share the 1DX sensor it is good to recall that we only have two prior data points and while for the 5D2+1Ds3 they did share, for the 5D2+1Ds2 they did not share.

Or should we link thusly: for the 5D + 1Ds they did not share, for the 5D + 1DsII they did not share.
The original 5D had a sensor that wasn't shared with any other camera, 1D series or others.

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:33 PM
S Dilworth
• •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Limited evidence mystery camera (5DX) is 30MP+

The method works well if the data's good enough, skibum5. I verified it by taking a photo of my Nikon D700.

Here's the whole shot. I tried to roughly replicate the angle of the spy shot, but my longest lens is 180 mm so I wasn't able to get everything identical.

Here's a straightened 100% crop of this photo, to compare with Ciprian's version on page 1 of this thread.

I've zoomed in to 100% on a photo in playback mode on the D700. (This lady's backlit hair was amazing, by the way.) By my reckoning, the yellow and grey boxes have widths of 44 and 298 pixels, respectively. The D700 has an LCD with 640 pixels across. Therefore, the long side of its photos should be (298/44)*640 = 4335 pixels long. In fact, the Nikon D700 takes photos of 4256 x 2832 pixels, so very close to the predicted size.

With Canon cameras, the calculation is complicated by their 10x maximum zoom ratio. The 10x figure seems to apply across the entire range of Canon SLRs, regardless of the sensor or LCD resolution of the camera. Despite this, owners seems to think their cameras zoom to 100%, probably because they haven't read the manual! I'd guess the "5D Mark III" will also zoom to 10x, not 100%.

Feb 01, 2012 at 04:25 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Limited evidence mystery camera (5DX) is 30MP+

S Dilworth wrote:
With Canon cameras, the calculation is complicated by their 10x maximum zoom ratio. The 10x figure seems to apply across the entire range of Canon SLRs, regardless of the sensor or LCD resolution of the camera. Despite this, owners seems to think their cameras zoom to 100%, probably because they haven't read the manual! I'd guess the "5D Mark III" will also zoom to 10x, not 100%.

my feeling was to ignore the 10x talk since didn't they write that even about the cams that didn't go to close to 100% of the full size image? i could be wrong

anyway my thought would be that the max zoom is always 100% for all of them and it's the 10x zoom figure that is a very rough number, but I never tried to verify it, so who knows

Feb 01, 2012 at 07:59 PM
S Dilworth
• •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Limited evidence mystery camera (5DX) is 30MP+

I don't have a Canon SLR to check, but I'm pretty sure they really do go to 10x, with the 10x being relative to the size of the whole image at the initial view (i.e. it's at 1x magnification when you can see the whole image on the display).

Therefore, for the EOS-1Ds Mark III, for example, the 10x magnification works out to a 57% view, i.e. you can never quite zoom in enough to see the full detail. 10x magnification / (5616 sensor pixels / 320 LCD pixels) = 57%.

Some reviewers talk about bad LCD quality for the 1Ds Mark III, but they might partially be referring to insufficient magnification, i.e. lack of 100% view.

If 10x is right for all Canon SLRs, the 5D Mark II would go to 10/(5616/640) = 114%. That's more than 100% (the 5D Mark II has twice as many pixels across its LCD as the 1Ds Mark III).

An assumption I've made above is that Canon cameras use the full width of their LCD for a whole-image view of a horizontal pic. Might throw the numbers out a little if there are unused pixels on the sides at full view.

None of this matters greatly one way or another, unless you're trying to calculate sensor resolution from a spy shot of a rear LCD!

Feb 01, 2012 at 08:30 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Limited evidence mystery camera (5DX) is 30MP+

This is the most hilarious thread I've seen here in a while.

Feb 01, 2012 at 08:53 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Limited evidence mystery camera (5DX) is 30MP+

deepbluejh wrote:
This is the most hilarious thread I've seen here in a while.

Especially when it will turn out that the actual 5D3 will actually match our 32MP calc and have 6fps and 7D AF+ and not match the Aquatech or CR CR2 22MP, 7.5fps specs

Feb 01, 2012 at 09:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Limited evidence mystery camera (5DX) is 30MP+

skibum5 wrote:
I bet the PJ simply said we don't want to deal with >18MP files and we'd actually prefer less although we do like reach and FF has less reach so I guess 18MP is ok.

Possibly they had trouble doing non-skipped video at higher MP too (atlhough I hope not, since what would that mean for 5D3 if it has more MP, maybe it could use slide out video AA filer like I think the D800 will).

Maybe reading more than 18MP at 12fps meant super fast ADCs and all and they had poor quality so while the higher MP could be
...Show more

What's so special about 18MP? Why not 16 or 17 or 19? I doubt the PJ's would care less about another 1-3MP. I doubt we would have seen IOS 204K offered with more pixels - not that anybody would give a damn IMO - and 18MP is the best compromise between resolution, speed and noise with file size a minor consideration.

Feb 01, 2012 at 09:35 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Limited evidence mystery camera (5DX) is 30MP+

Pixel Perfect wrote:
What's so special about 18MP? Why not 16 or 17 or 19? I doubt the PJ's would care less about another 1-3MP. I doubt we would have seen IOS 204K offered with more pixels - not that anybody would give a damn IMO - and 18MP is the best compromise between resolution, speed and noise with file size a minor consideration.

They probabyl wanted to seem like they were making up for a trace of the 16MP APS-H loss and thus wanted more than 16MP but even 18MP of 7D was getting complaints for size so maybe they figured to dare not go above it just yet. And the SNR difference between high ISO for 18MP vs. 21.2 or 24MP or whatnot has got to be small, are you going to notice 1/6th, if even, stop SNR difference at middle gray?
Anyway who knows, but I have doubts as to whether fine tuning the SNR to the 1/8th or 1/6th or even 1/4th stop really matter much which makes me think it must be for some sort of other reason, but no I do not know for sure.

Feb 02, 2012 at 12:25 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Limited evidence mystery camera (5DX) is 30MP+

Pixel Perfect wrote:
What's so special about 18MP? Why not 16 or 17 or 19?

I'm not sure about this, but I think I heard that this MP size/dimension somehow divides out into HD video format dimensions in some useful way. Or not... -)

Dan

Feb 02, 2012 at 12:38 AM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Limited evidence mystery camera (5DX) is 30MP+

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=2975.0

gdanmitchell wrote:
I'm not sure about this, but I think I heard that this MP size/dimension somehow divides out into HD video format dimensions in some useful way. Or not... -)

Dan

Feb 02, 2012 at 12:47 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Limited evidence mystery camera (5DX) is 30MP+

bobbytan wrote:
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=2975.0

and from bobbytan's link:
"I have no insider information, but just wanted to point that 22 MP has some “magical” properties for HD video, as it corresponds exactly to a 3×3 oversampling of the final video resolution. (22 MP, minus crop for 16:9 ratio, divided by 9, equal 1080×1920)

The next “magical” resolution (4×4 oversamping) is at 39 MP."

Therefore, I expect 39 MP.

Feb 02, 2012 at 01:28 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Limited evidence mystery camera (5DX) is 30MP+

Photon wrote:
and from bobbytan's link:
"I have no insider information, but just wanted to point that 22 MP has some “magical” properties for HD video, as it corresponds exactly to a 3×3 oversampling of the final video resolution. (22 MP, minus crop for 16:9 ratio, divided by 9, equal 1080×1920)

The next “magical” resolution (4×4 oversamping) is at 39 MP."

Therefore, I expect 39 MP.

although in the C300 WP canon said 8MP Bayer was magical for 2k video and 32MP is magical for 4k video....
that is 16:9 sensor though
anyway according to my calculations.... adding one.... dividing by zero... multi 2/3 here.... and I, yes 0 MP.

Feb 02, 2012 at 02:16 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Limited evidence mystery camera (5DX) is 30MP+

skibum5 wrote:
Especially when it will turn out that the actual 5D3 will actually match our 32MP calc and have 6fps and 7D AF+ and not match the Aquatech or CR CR2 22MP, 7.5fps specs

I've been using the 5DII professionally for over three years now. I figure it won't hurt me to wait another 4 weeks to see what Canon has up it's sleeve. I'm not even sure I want a 5DIII as soon as it comes out. I imagine there will be a couple bugs that crop up.

But really though... reading this thread, people are foaming at the mouth to figure out what the specs of this camera are going to be like. Wasted mental energy, IMO.

Feb 02, 2012 at 01:50 PM
S Dilworth
• •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Limited evidence mystery camera (5DX) is 30MP+

deepbluejh wrote:
But really though... reading this thread, people are foaming at the mouth to figure out what the specs of this camera are going to be like. Wasted mental energy, IMO.

There's not a lot of foam around, as far as I can see. Are crosswords also a waste of mental energy?

If you want to expend some energy usefully, how about checking whether your 5D Mark II zooms to 100% and reporting back pronto?

In fact, I'd like to know the relative widths of these boxes on any Canon SLR at full magnification:

You can measure them with a ruler directly on the rear LCD.

Feb 02, 2012 at 02:25 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password