Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · newbie second photo , critique / comment please

avyaktha1

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · newbie second photo , critique / comment please

thanks

Jan 29, 2012 at 04:45 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · newbie second photo , critique / comment please

Glad you took the leap and posted. And I hope you find the Critique forum welcoming and helpful.
I like this as a choice for BW with the range of deep shadows framing the lower left corner and the bright highlights in the reeds and road. The brighter tones along the rail continue the arc formed by the road and lead nicely into the image and to the pedestrian. Its a somewhat rough textured look and I like the grain and feel of it all.
Improvements? I think you might open up the shadows a bit more. They look somewhat crushed, although stylistically they work for me.
I wish there was a bit more interest in the walker. Is it someone you know? Is there a backstory you are illustrating? Image would be more dynamic if you had captured her with a longer stride, adding to a greater sense of movement, or perhaps turning her head showing some expression or focus that appears more the left rather than more statically and appearing more straight ahead in her focus.
Overall, I like this image, the style of processing and your choice to go BW.
Scott

Jan 29, 2012 at 05:33 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · newbie second photo , critique / comment please

In addition to Scotts comments, consider recomposing to displace the figure from the vertical centerline. Place the subject on the centerline make the composition more static. When the subject is in motion, a static position conflicts with the dynamics of motion and progress. Sometimes it can create a dramatic tension of a sort, but it doesn't for me in this image.

Jan 29, 2012 at 06:19 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · newbie second photo , critique / comment please

In a photo like this of scenery and person I ask myself when looking at what the story is. What is the person doing there? Why should it interest me?

I find the overall composition pleasing to my eye but with the figure more or less in the middle between "been there" and "heading there" the implied storyline isn't as thought provoking as if she was close to the foreground and bigger (more emphasis on her) or smaller further down the road (emphasis on environment).

Abnormal processing / contrast only works for me when it enhances the message the content delivers. It's not clear what she is doing there and it is so abnormally underexposed and contrasty I can't tell for sure what she is wearing is a skirt (what it seems to be) or shorts.

If it was a night shot and she was seen in the headlights of a car (unseen) coming around the bend in the background illuminating her like a deer in the sights of a poacher, revealing she is carrying an empty gas can, it would be a a far more interesting shot and the PP would be more in context with the time of day revealed by the shadow she is casting (heading SSW around 12:30 -1:00 PM).

What was she doing there, and why do you think it would be interesting to a stranger seeing it?

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:15 PM
avyaktha1

p.1 #5 · newbie second photo , critique / comment please

Thanks a ton for all wonderful comments

@sbeme

Is it someone you know?
Yes it is my wife.

Is there a backstory you are illustrating?
To be honest I wasnt thinking about a story of any sort when composing. When i was post processing i was thinking "walking a lonely road"

Image would be more dynamic if you had captured her with a longer stride, adding to a greater sense of movement, or perhaps turning her head showing some expression or focus that appears more the left rather than more statically and appearing more straight ahead in her focus.

Thanks makes more sense, I dont yet think a lot while composing I just shoot what looks pleasing to my eye. I am reading books and trying to get into the habit

Jan 30, 2012 at 08:12 PM
avyaktha1

p.1 #6 · newbie second photo , critique / comment please

@AuntiPode the cropped image definitely looks better

Jan 30, 2012 at 08:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

avyaktha1

p.1 #7 · newbie second photo , critique / comment please

@cgardner
As I had mentioned in my prev comment
I wasnt thinking about a story of any sort when composing. When i was post processing i was thinking "walking a lonely road".I dont yet think a lot while composing I just shoot what looks pleasing to my eye. I am reading books and trying to get into the habit

thanks a ton for taking time to comment

Jan 30, 2012 at 08:15 PM
avyaktha1

p.1 #8 · newbie second photo , critique / comment please

one more just shot it cause of the lines and contrasting black and whites

Jan 31, 2012 at 06:29 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · newbie second photo , critique / comment please

I'll try to comment on the second image later, but you would be better starting a new post with it.
You are allowed one new post a day.
I think you might get more viewing traffic and feedback as a separate post and it really is an entirely different topic.
Scott

Jan 31, 2012 at 06:55 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · newbie second photo , critique / comment please

Your second photo is nice study in form and contrast but your use of the tonal range is a bit like having a box of 256 crayons and only using half of them...

Would benefit from more sky on top vs building touching top of frame...

Jan 31, 2012 at 09:19 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #11 · newbie second photo , critique / comment please

cgardner wrote:
...your use of the tonal range is a bit like having a box of 256 crayons and only using half of them...

I guess this is where we see differently. To continue your crayon analogy, just because I have 256 crayons in the box doesn't mean I have to use every single one of them every time I sit down to color.

The photographer stated he was drawn to make the image because "of the lines and contrasting black and whites". He was successful in capturing what motivated him. He made good use of "the angle of incidence equals the angle of reflection" to raise the tonality of the building facade to accentuate the play of blacks and whites. His rendition is more interesting than your rework that attempts to add a longer range of tonality.

Capturing a full range of tones in every image you create seems to be your goal, and it is a fine and noble goal. However, that may not be the same goal others have. Using your goal to measure the work of others and concluding their work falls short because it doesn't meet your goal doesn't give them proper credit.

I'm reminded of two philosophies prevelent in the first half of the 20th Century. There was a group of pictorialists and among them were the Photo Secessionists. As a response to their viewpoint, another group, Group f/64 arose. Both groups had very different viewpoints, yet there are photographs produced by the differing philosophies which are heralded as some of the finest examples of photography. However, if you measured a Photo Secessionist photograph by the goals of Group f/64, it would fall short.

It's the same with portraiture. I don't measure a portrait by Joseph Karsh the same way I measure a portrait by Henri Cartier-Bresson. Also, I may prefer one type of portraiture over the other, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate them both.

Feb 01, 2012 at 02:49 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password