Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Basketball Game

JayCeePhotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Basketball Game

Gabrielino High VS Mountain View

equipment used:
24-70mm F2.8.
D7000
Pocketwizards (2)
B1600

Shot with 1/6 Power.

Let me know what you think!

NIKON D7000    24.0-70.0 mm f/2.8 lens    24mm    f/2.8    1/250s    320 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 29, 2012 at 07:35 AM
JayCeePhotog
• • •
p.1 #2 · Basketball Game

18 views no comments? :|

Jan 29, 2012 at 09:46 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Basketball Game

Sometimes I like to think a while before babbling. Hard to believe, I know.

Jan 29, 2012 at 09:54 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Basketball Game

Based upon my sporadic posts garnering few comments on the Sports Forum:

Freezes the action nicely, captures facial expressions and intensity of players.

The lighting however, is quite harsh, washing out color. The low angle, to me, is unusual, but then I've never been able to use flash on the floor and the pros have mega strobes in the ceiling framework.

The over all angle, again to me, gives the ceiling framework unintended prominence creating a distraction.

I've used a D2x and available light for basketball with some success at f2.8. With a D7000 I'd think available light would not be an issue - just guessing.

Run it by the sports folks, they have a high level of experience and expertise and on occasion can be brutally frank also.

Too, again from personal experience - sports images on Photo Critique as a genre, for whatever reason, do not seem to gather much traction.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Edited on Jan 29, 2012 at 04:09 PM · View previous versions

Jan 29, 2012 at 01:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Basketball Game

Joseph,

Later...

Took the liberty to tinker, if you object I'll pull the post.

Broadly speaking: Viveza to knock down and recover washed out areas - faces, basketball, various portions of uniform/body.

CEPro3 - Graduated ND filter in rafters to darken (don't really know how to effectively user gradients - this works for me.

Remove what I perceive a blue cast, others will probably disagree (my color perception suffers in subtlety).

Layer 4 - selectively sharpen the subject(s) to get some definition

Layer 5 - selectively, using different opacity percentages (50% - 10), blur various ares of image to add depth and a sense of presence.

Regards,

Bob

After thought - as for composition, and from experience I know this is difficult since you have no control, I'd prefer the player in-bounding the ball be in the image entirely. As it is, he distracts from the action (eye ping-pongs from him to players awaiting pass). Cropping him out omits significant context. So for me, from that perspective, the image does not work in conveying the moment.

Layers Pallette

Jan 29, 2012 at 04:06 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Basketball Game

Last post, I promise (well, maybe)

Here is an image using available light, D2x, I believe ISO 800, maybe Hi 1. NR was a must, but still worked. Bump the ISO on the D7000 and give it a try.

Bob

NIKON D2X    85mm    f/1.8    1/800s    0.0 EV  

Jan 29, 2012 at 04:24 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Basketball Game

AuntiPode wrote:
Sometimes I like to think a while before babbling. Hard to believe, I know.

+1 @ "chew" on it sometimes.

It looks to me like your lighting is positioned very low, as the shadows are cutting straight across bodies & faces and is very harsh.

@ 1/6 power, it would seem like you've got plenty to play with to raise your lighting higher and/or use a different reflector/SB/BD/umbrella/barebulb/etc. Not sure what your 'logistics' are that are constraining you, but I'd look at different positioning/modifying ... likely needing some "practice" testing to get it where you'd like it.

Also, while it didn't show in this pic ... shooting at reduced power with your AB will give you a longer flash duration (i.e. no IGBT circuitry) than at full power ... unlike shooting at reduced power with a strobe or an Einstein, where it shortens your flash duration. In that regard, 1/6 power may be counter-productive for action-stopping flash.

The 1/6 power will however give you shorter recyle times ... just something to be aware of if you start getting ghosting/blur, or if it was part of your concern for not using more power with a higher position or modifier.

Exposure seems a bit hot with several places that are blown. Again, some distance and modifier of choice might help "smooth" out your falloff.

BTW ... is that your shadow on the back wall?

As to Bob's comment @ comp ... I thought the ball handler was in mid-dribble at first look (shadow hides other arm holding ball and no baseline reference), and I also saw blue cast. The strong, low sidelighting doesn't work for me in this instance.

HTH

Jan 29, 2012 at 04:46 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Basketball Game

There have been a number of good comments. I quite like Bob's PP adjustments. The principle composition critique about the position of ball and the main subjects was a good one. The eye does need to swing widely back and forth to gather the content.

In terms of message and composition, if the ball and the principles were closer together the eye could take in the meaning of the scene with a less awkward flow. I don't suggest manipulating a sports scene in PP to change it's content, but in this case to illustrate the effect of deceasing the distance between the two centers of attention. and how it would also enable a tighter crop to concentrate the action and direct the eye:

Jan 29, 2012 at 06:02 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password