Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2012 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

troy12n
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
And you expect that the 5D should focus as well as the much more expensive 1 series Pro bodies then

No, but I expect it to focus AT LEAST as good as an xxD, which is over HALF it's price... 40d focuses much better, as does the 30d. ESPECIALLY in servo.

Feb 01, 2012 at 05:21 PM
BubbaJon
• • • •
p.5 #2 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

digitalbug30d wrote:
how do we know you were closer then MFD? so no matter the focus point it will be out of focus.

Because you won't *get* a focus spot if it's not in focus. I've had my 5D2 lie to me. 5D never.

Feb 01, 2012 at 06:02 PM
Don Clary
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #3 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

No, but I expect it to focus AT LEAST as good as an xxD, which is over HALF it's price... 40d focuses much better, as does the 30d. ESPECIALLY in servo.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1019&message=29383059&changemode=1

What Chuck Westfall had to say about the 40D Ai-Servo mode.

"Somewhat surprisingly, Canon has not adopted the 40D/50D's AF system which, on paper, is superior, given that all nine of its AF points are cross-type.

Canon USA's Westfall says the reason for that is the "6 Assist AF points plus center point were deemed to provide a higher level of performance for AI Servo AF than the center point-only arrangement of the [40D and] 50D."

Given that we've previously found the overall autofocus performance of the 5D to be decent, while the 40D's tracking capability has been erratic at best, Canon has likely chosen the better of the two AF systems for the 5D Mark II."

Feb 01, 2012 at 06:08 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.5 #4 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

troy12n wrote:
... 40d focuses much better, as does the 30d. ESPECIALLY in servo.

That has not been my experience.

I agree much more with the quote in Don Clary's post.

Feb 01, 2012 at 10:51 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.5 #5 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

Edited on Dec 04, 2012 at 06:55 PM · View previous versions

Feb 01, 2012 at 11:32 PM
miccullen
• • •
p.5 #6 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

abqnmusa wrote:
makes no difference how many perfect 5D/5D II shots you show
the 1D "pro body" snobs will never admit a 5D/5D II can focus

I guess it's much easier to just post, rather than read what others are actually saying. You've got plenty of company in this thread already doing that.

Feb 01, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

troy12n
• • •
p.5 #7 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

I find servo AF to be completely unusable on the 5d, even with CP and the custom function for expanded AF points enabled. And the outer AF points are a joke.

The outer AF points on the 40d work, and work pretty well, even in servo. If you want to argue with me, that is your right to do so, but it's my real world experience that it is not the case.

Feb 02, 2012 at 03:07 PM
Yohan Pamudji
• • •
p.5 #8 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

2+ years on and we're still at the same arguments I see. And 5DII apologists still trying to setup a straw man by stating that critics claim the 5DII AF to be worthless all around. Good one, guys. Slow clap all around.

Please, Canon, spread some good cross-type points all around the frame for the 5DIII so we can finally put this rotting carcass of a horse to rest.

Feb 02, 2012 at 10:35 PM
elicious
• •
p.5 #9 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

troy12n wrote:
I find servo AF to be completely unusable on the 5d, even with CP and the custom function for expanded AF points enabled. And the outer AF points are a joke.

The statement runs completely 180 degrees counter to my own experience with either 5Dc I own.

Feb 02, 2012 at 10:36 PM
miccullen
• • •
p.5 #10 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

Yohan Pamudji wrote:
And 5DII apologists still trying to setup a straw man by stating that critics claim the 5DII AF to be worthless all around. Good one, guys. Slow clap all around.

+1.

Feb 02, 2012 at 10:38 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.5 #11 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

elicious wrote:
The statement runs completely 180 degrees counter to my own experience with either 5Dc I own.

I agree with elicious (Eik). I've used the 5D as a third body with 24-70L for shooting soccer and rugby from the sidelines. Most images were from one of my two 1DII bodies, with 70-200/2.8L and 300/2.8 APO. I would occasionally use the 5D for close-in action, and it did a decent job in AI Servo, using the centre focus point. OTOH, I wouldn't expect the 5D AI Servo to work so well on a subject that fills only a small part of the finder image.

Feb 02, 2012 at 11:09 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.5 #12 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

abqnmusa wrote:
makes no difference how many perfect 5D/5D II shots you show
the 1D "pro body" snobs will never admit a 5D/5D II can focus

Bull. I use 1DsIII, 1DIV and 5D. They're all fine cameras.

Feb 02, 2012 at 11:11 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password