Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

Archive 2012 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

miccullen wrote:
Man, I get way more than 90 per cent with a 1Ds. And the difference, away from the centre point, is a lot more than 10 per cent, but I haven't got any hard numbers, so I'm not using any.

I don't have any hard numbers either. It was just a comparison between those bodies. But if you get way more. Then you probably get more than 100% That's really good.
So why don't you buy a 1 series if you get that much more keepers? Instead of using a camera that you don't like!! Even the older low prices 1 series bodies that are really cheap, have nearly as good AF as the new. You really must like to torture yourself

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:34 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

I have a 1DsIII, a 1DIV, and two 5D. I wouldn't keep the 5D if they couldn't AF. Of course, they're not as good as the 1D-series bodies, so I use different cameras for different situations. Don't expect a 5D to shine in circumstances that require a 1D. Otherwise, if you can't get 5D images in focus with centre point AF then there's something wrong with the gear or with you. It's probably most often the latter.

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:46 PM
jshalvorsen

p.3 #3 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

mttran wrote:
+1, mee two

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7163/6532687529_46b268ee8f_z.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7164/6532592215_75d4a1023b_z.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7021/6532530247_8be2fa201e_z.jpg

hiccup does not count

This doesn't prove anything.. it would be so easy to replicate these focus issues it's not even funny. Back button focus, release button, move camera backwards, take picture. Or just mess up the MA.

User error when using back button focus could also be the issue.

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:55 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #4 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

jcolwell wrote:
I have a 1DsIII, a 1DIV, and two 5D. I wouldn't keep the 5D if they couldn't AF. Of course, they're not as good as the 1D-series bodies, so I use different cameras for different situations. Don't expect a 5D to shine in circumstances that require a 1D. Otherwise, if you can't get 5D images in focus with centre point AF then there's something wrong with the gear or with you. It's probably most often the latter.

+1

even with my old 10D I could AF. And the 5D is a lot better than the 10D

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:58 PM
howard
• •
p.3 #5 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

Try the Canon D30 or D60 (not 30D or 60D), and you will know what slow AF means.

Jan 28, 2012 at 01:37 PM
JimboCin
• • •
p.3 #6 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

Todd: I did not follow your comment "and I never looked through the viewfinder once."

How did you even frame the photos if you did not look through the viewfinder?

Jim

Jan 28, 2012 at 02:22 PM
WilsonImages
• • • •
p.3 #7 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

I held the camera at my belly button, and tried to follow the action without looking through the camera.

I used all AF points in servo to start then switched to center AF, center AF was better, but not that much better.

todd

Jan 28, 2012 at 02:42 PM
WilsonImages
• • • •
p.3 #8 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

since I was so close, I wanted a lower angle and also the kids with 8th grade so I was taller than most of them too.

Jan 28, 2012 at 02:42 PM
Dawei Ye
• • • •
p.3 #9 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

iGeekPro wrote:
I hate people who whine about this crap. Its a camera, if its not focusing it is your fault. I am absolutely in love with my 5DII.

mttran wrote:
+1, mee two

<images deleted>
hiccup does not count

jshalvorsen wrote:
This doesn't prove anything.. it would be so easy to replicate these focus issues it's not even funny. Back button focus, release button, move camera backwards, take picture. Or just mess up the MA.

User error when using back button focus could also be the issue.

Jan 28, 2012 at 04:20 PM
Sgt93
• • •
p.3 #10 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

I don't think anyone said the 5D's cannot focus, it's just that they could focus a lot better. I'm quite positive Canon will correct this with the next model.

Jan 28, 2012 at 05:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

digitalbug30d
• • • •
p.3 #11 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

well wonder how all them wedding photographers..over there in the wedding forum,are able to get in-focus shots?hmmm...if they were this bad wouldnt they,switch to a 1DSmk3 or a Nikon...?

Jan 28, 2012 at 05:36 PM
campyone
• •
p.3 #12 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

digitalbug30d wrote:
well wonder how all them wedding photographers..over there in the wedding forum,are able to get in-focus shots?hmmm...if they were this bad wouldnt they,switch to a 1DSmk3 or a Nikon...?

There's little point in pretending that someone claims the 5DII simply can't focus at all and then pointing to in-focus photographs to demonstrate that it can. I don't know of anyone who's said the 5DII simply can't focus. Most people who have owned the camera (and I'm one) would say the center point is quite good but the outer focus points are inconsistent. Not that every photograph made with outer focus points is bad, just that it's something of a guessing game as to whether a photograph made with them will be in focus or not. And some of us think that for $2,500 or so the 5DII should do a better job than it does when using the outer focus points.

Jan 28, 2012 at 06:09 PM
slee915
• •
p.3 #13 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

digitalbug30d wrote:
the thin DOF with an 85mm 1.2 or a 50 f1.0 would give you crappy results like this if you wernt paying attention to the DOF. and your distance from subject...

No, if your focusing point is closer to MFD as you say, then the fingers (which are even closer) should never be in focus. It has nothing to do with DOF.

Jan 28, 2012 at 06:53 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.3 #14 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

campyone wrote:
There's little point in pretending that someone claims the 5DII simply can't focus at all and then pointing to in-focus photographs to demonstrate that it can. I don't know of anyone who's said the 5DII simply can't focus. Most people who have owned the camera (and I'm one) would say the center point is quite good but the outer focus points are inconsistent. Not that every photograph made with outer focus points is bad, just that it's something of a guessing game as to whether a photograph made with them will be in focus or not. And some of us
...Show more

It depends. Like always. :-)
I do Weddings since 4 years now again. If you do a docu you run around and look for a motive. Does really anybody on this world use anything else than the center AF point? No. That is why wedding shooters do not have big issues about the 5D (& MK II) You just can not look for the placement of any AF point and fix it or switch to it before the important moment has gone. There are three possible ways to handle: 1. Trust one and rearange, 2. focus manual or 3. trust your camera that it will find the focus by using its great 45 or whatever AF points.

You might guess what comes out. 1 or 2. Solution 3 gives you 10-15 % of keepers if you want to compose a beautiful image. Because no camera knows anything about composition. It will choose one or a collection of AF points. If it hits what you want, its just one thing. Luck! One can switch between not eye focused AF points if one trusts them. But that needs TIME that you do not have if you want to catch a moment. At least 1-2 seconds (if you are really fit with your gear. That is about 1-2 seconds to long for catching an important moment. Nobody waits for you. I shoot 600-1200 pictures at a wedding. My customer gets about 250 - 300. Whatz do you think why? Because the rest is deleted.

Jan 28, 2012 at 07:29 PM
miccullen
• • •
p.3 #15 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
I don't have any hard numbers either. It was just a comparison between those bodies. But if you get way more. Then you probably get more than 100% That's really good.
So why don't you buy a 1 series if you get that much more keepers? Instead of using a camera that you don't like!! Even the older low prices 1 series bodies that are really cheap, have nearly as good AF as the new. You really must like to torture yourself

I've got a 1DsmkIII and 1DmkIII, so I have no idea what you're going on about.

Jan 28, 2012 at 07:50 PM
miccullen
• • •
p.3 #16 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

Ralph Conway wrote:
I do Weddings since 4 years now again. If you do a docu you run around and look for a motive. Does really anybody on this world use anything else than the center AF point? No.

It's pretty clear, as soon as you see a quote like that, that the person making the quote hasn't used a 1-series (or any body with a decent AF with a good spread of AF points) for any extended period of time.

I use my centre AF point less than 10 per cent of the time, I would say. "Focus-recompose" is pretty useless when shooting at 1.2.

Jan 28, 2012 at 07:53 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

Sgt93 wrote:
I don't think anyone said the 5D's cannot focus, it's just that they could focus a lot better. I'm quite positive Canon will correct this with the next model.

+1, well said

Jan 28, 2012 at 08:20 PM
Stoffer
• • •
p.3 #18 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

Ralph Conway wrote:
I do Weddings since 4 years now again. If you do a docu you run around and look for a motive. Does really anybody on this world use anything else than the center AF point? No.

Ralph, I like your photographic style, but this doesn't really make sense to me? Why in the world would you prefer to focus bang in the middle of the frame when you with, say 45-51 AF points, have the freedom to quickly shift focus to exactly where you want it? Pretend that someone at a wedding reception is saying something funny and everybody is looking at that person smiling. Wouldn't you prefer to compose your frame so that persons face is placed close too the rule of thirds but still bang is focus?

Jan 28, 2012 at 08:25 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.3 #19 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

Dawei Ye wrote:

darn, i hate that too

Jan 28, 2012 at 08:41 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.3 #20 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

Stoffer wrote:
Ralph, I like your photographic style, but this doesn't really make sense to me? Why in the world would you prefer to focus bang in the middle of the frame when you with, say 45-51 AF points, have the freedom to quickly shift focus to exactly where you want it? Pretend that someone at a wedding reception is saying something funny and everybody is looking at that person smiling. Wouldn't you prefer to compose your frame so that persons face is placed close too the rule of thirds but still bang is focus?

Yes I would. And I would do it faster in center AF and recompose, than in any other manual way. The laugh would have gone before I would switch the focus point with scroll wheel or joystick. Only other ways I can imagine it would work are manual focusing anyway or ECF.

Jan 28, 2012 at 08:48 PM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password