Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2012 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

Jefferson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

How 'bout a "Post Your Best OOF Shots with a 5D"

Jan 28, 2012 at 04:43 AM
slee915
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

digitalbug30d wrote:
how do we know you were closer then MFD? so no matter the focus point it will be out of focus.

if it is closer to MFD, why would the thumb in #2 and the finger in #3 be in focus ?

Jan 28, 2012 at 05:14 AM
ontime
• • • •
p.2 #3 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

Looks like the lens is front focusing rather than the camera messing up.

Jan 28, 2012 at 06:23 AM
M Vers
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

ontime wrote:
Looks like the lens is front focusing rather than the camera messing up.

Guess what lens it was...I'll give you a hint: it's notorious for focus shift. Combine that with often hopeless outer AF performance of the 5 series and, well, the images speak for themselves.

Jan 28, 2012 at 06:28 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

M Vers wrote:
Guess what lens it was...I'll give you a hint: it's notorious for focus shift. Combine that with often hopeless outer AF performance of the 5 series and, well, the images speak for themselves.

you both have another chance to guess again

Jan 28, 2012 at 06:34 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

I own the 1Ds3, 1D3 & 1D4. I get OOF shots with those also. And I have been shooting with 20 other cameras with AF the last 20 years. And got OOF shots with those also. Anybody that belive a camera will give you 100% in focus shots, is just a dreamer.........I don't get perfect exposure on all my shots either

Jan 28, 2012 at 06:51 AM
miccullen
• • •
p.2 #7 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
I own the 1Ds3, 1D3 & 1D4. I get OOF shots with those also. And I have been shooting with 20 other cameras with AF the last 20 years. And got OOF shots with those also. Anybody that belive a camera will give you 100% in focus shots, is just a dreamer.........I don't get perfect exposure on all my shots either

In and of itself, that is true. But to pretend that the 5D will focus as well as the 1-series - ESPECIALLY when you get off the centre point - is fantasy.

Jan 28, 2012 at 07:53 AM
digitalbug30d
• • • •
p.2 #8 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

sorry not convinced with the above examples...looks like a case of to thin DOF...confused with an imaginary OOF problem.

Jan 28, 2012 at 07:54 AM
leftymgp
• •
p.2 #9 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

Jefferson wrote:
How 'bout a "Post Your Best OOF Shots with a 5D"

I doubt that people have enough bandwidth to to view all of mine

Jan 28, 2012 at 07:55 AM
digitalbug30d
• • • •
p.2 #10 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

slee915 wrote:
if it is closer to MFD, why would the thumb in #2 and the finger in #3 be in focus ?

the thin DOF with an 85mm 1.2 or a 50 f1.0 would give you crappy results like this if you wernt paying attention to the DOF. and your distance from subject...

Jan 28, 2012 at 07:59 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

miccullen wrote:
In and of itself, that is true. But to pretend that the 5D will focus as well as the 1-series - ESPECIALLY when you get off the centre point - is fantasy.

And you expect that the 5D should focus as well as the much more expensive 1 series Pro bodies then

Jan 28, 2012 at 08:00 AM
digitalbug30d
• • • •
p.2 #12 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

Ive gotten OOF shots with my 1Dmk2n...it happens

Jan 28, 2012 at 08:01 AM
miccullen
• • •
p.2 #13 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
And you expect that the 5D should focus as well as the much more expensive 1 series Pro bodies then

No, not at all. Of course not. But that's a long way from pretending the AF on the 5D is very good, especially away from the centre-point.

Of course you can get OOF shots with the 1-series. But it's a huge amount less.

Edited on Jan 28, 2012 at 08:21 AM · View previous versions

Jan 28, 2012 at 08:02 AM
digitalbug30d
• • • •
p.2 #14 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

Lars a question compare the 1dmk3 a/F to a 1dmk2n how much better is the mark3?

Jan 28, 2012 at 08:03 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

digitalbug30d wrote:
Lars a question compare the 1dmk3 a/F to a 1dmk2n how much better is the mark3?

They are rather similar. I would take the 1D3. But the difference is very small

Jan 28, 2012 at 08:11 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

miccullen wrote:
No, not at all. Of course not. But that's a long way from pretending the AF on it isn't very good, especially away from the centre-point.

Of course you can get OOF shots with the 1-series. But it's a huge amount less.

Let's say you get 90% of the 1Ds3 shots with good focus. And 80% with the 5D. But you have to pay a few thousend dollar more for the 1 series. So I belive it's only fair and as expected.

AF is just a tool to help you when shooting. It's not a thing that gives you perfect photo's every time. It's the same with the exposure metering. Most of the time it will give you good exposure. But not all the time. And it's a bit better on the 1 series also.

Jan 28, 2012 at 08:22 AM
miccullen
• • •
p.2 #17 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Let's say you get 90% of the 1Ds3 shots with good focus. And 80% with the 5D.

Man, I get way more than 90 per cent with a 1Ds. And the difference, away from the centre point, is a lot more than 10 per cent, but I haven't got any hard numbers, so I'm not using any.

Jan 28, 2012 at 08:25 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.2 #18 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

I love my 5D2. Ive had mine for more than 2 years. IQ as good IMHO as a film Hasselblad, astonishing low light high ISO sensor, large detailed prints to kill for. I've very little interest (probably) in the 5D3.

You can tell I love my 5D2.

And yet in terms of outer point AF performance my 7D kicks its butt. Comprehensively. No argument I've lost shots using the outer AF points on my 5D2. Its not a matter of technique. For the 5D3 I hope Canon give it some 7D AF magic, because it needs it.

Jan 28, 2012 at 08:40 AM
Kirivon

p.2 #19 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

I have my 5D2 set to not AF when AF is impossible.

Around 30% of the time in EV < 5 situations the camera will just blink at me and not focus using the peripheral AF points. Switching to the center point results in it locking focus instantly 90% of the time.

I have no issues with the 5D's af system, it's the sensors that are the issue. The gap in sensitivity between the cross type center point and non-cross peripheral points is just too big. The peripheral af points need either very high contrast patterns, lots of light or preferably both. I didn't even know they made cameras with only 1 cross type sensor until I switched to Canon. Almost all of Pentax's cameras use a 11 sensor / 9 cross type AF array, to include their entry level models. Even their tiny K-m that only had 5 sensors had 5/5 crosstypes.

Jan 28, 2012 at 09:42 AM
RazorTM
• • •
p.2 #20 · you say the 5D's cant focus?

Yay, some people got a few in-focus shots with 5D Mark II autofocus. Excuse me for not giving a standing ovation

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:14 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password