Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Brown linting in LR

Chris Beaumont
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Brown linting in LR

Hi all,

As I'm sure many of you have noticed, there's a big fashion trend towards crunched-blacks images with the shadows reopened and a browney tint to them, I've spent a couple of hours trying to work this shizzle out and I'm getting to the point of tearing my hair out and throwing it at someone/thing.

No matter what I do, trying to 'brown' tint turns out yellow/orange/red, I can't get that rich, chocolatey tone I'm aiming for.

I would be eternally in the debt of anyone that could nudge me in the right direction.

Chris

Jan 26, 2012 at 06:22 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Brown linting in LR

I can empathize.
To me the Holy Grail of brown toning is illustrated in LensWork. A deep, rich, but not overly saturated chocolatey brown. Is that what you seek? Have you been able to find an example and check out the RBG values over several areas?
My efforts usually take me to setting hue around 35-38, balanced heavily for dark tones over light, and keeping the saturation pretty low.
Love to hear what others have come up with.
But, if you have permission, post an example of what you are trying to emulate, or post a link, assuming you are talking about a non-print rendition that works for you.

Scott

Jan 26, 2012 at 06:40 PM
Chris Beaumont
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Brown linting in LR

I won't link directly to someone else's image, but this thread here - http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1068341 - the one by Gabe McClintock of the mountain-top wedding, that kind of lovely brown tone is what I'd like to be emulating!

That's if you can get as far as that image after you've seen the first one

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:26 PM
collierstudios
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Brown linting in LR

This sounds very much like the question I just asked on the thread a moment ago. I guess I should have looked at the previous posts before submitting

I'm a huge fan of Cliff Mautner's work and I'm curious if thats the style you're trying to describe here? If so I'm trying to figure out the same technique but have been unable to come close.

Jan 26, 2012 at 11:38 PM
plubbry
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Brown linting in LR

I have only played with this style a couple of times so by no means am I any kind of expert.

To lift the blacks I simply raise the left most end point of the luminosity curve in LR.

I then add a bit of split toning. Perhaps adding a sepia color tone for the shadows. The Saturation sliders in this module will dictate how strong of a tone you add. The balance slider will control the crossover point from shadow to highlight. I would imagine if you set the tone saturation for highlights to zero and then moved the balance to the left you'd keep your sepia tone restricted to just the shadows.

Edit: I believe there was a discussion thread on this very topic recently. I don't remember if it was in this forum or in the Wedding Photography forum though. Some searching may dig it up.

Here's two I recall:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1058990/0
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1056928/0

Jan 26, 2012 at 11:47 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password