Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · LR3 Q

trevanian
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LR3 Q

I have this habit of being paranoid of deleting files. After I flag my reject pictures I use the remove picture option. So I use the just remove picture instead of it deleting in lr. How do I get those back to really delete them? Anyone know?

Jan 25, 2012 at 03:25 PM
Monkey Falls
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LR3 Q

Like most things in any Photoshop product, I'm sure there are many ways to accomplish this task. One way that comes to mind is to open the Import screen. Select, "Add," and select the directory where the images are stored. Make sure that the, "Don't Import Suspected Duplicates," is checked and then import. Only the files that are not in your catalog will be imported. In the Lightroom Library the files will be in the "Previous Import," gallery. Select them all and then delete them from the disk.

HTH

Jan 25, 2012 at 04:36 PM
LARAB

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LR3 Q

The file should still be where it was before you removed it (I think). I just did a quick test, it is a question that has been on my mind as well. I removed a file then used search (file name, under the start menu, PC) and found the original alongside all my other LR files. Clicking it opened the import dialogue. It would seem the only way to delete them after removal is either to re-import or manually remove them one at a time. I have not found a way to filter them in LR once they have been removed.

Anyone else?

I type way too slow, great solution!

Jan 25, 2012 at 04:44 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LR3 Q

Monkey Falls' approach will work but has an element of risk if there happened to be any un-imported images on your drive/folder where the removed files are. They too will be deleted.

If you are going to remove files with a view to deleting them then perhaps you first need to import everything that has not yet been imported.

Another approach is to move all of the flagged files that you might want to delete into a separate "to be deleted - probably" folder until you are sure. That way they are still in the catalog for further consideration and you will not lose any unsaved changes to metadata for those images should you decide to unflag them and return them where they came from.

Another variation is to assign a particular colour label to candidates for deletion rather than use the reject flag. First make sure that label has not been used on other files. When you are convinced that any of those files are to be deleted just reject them and delete the rejects.

I like to save up my rejects and only delete them after I have backed up the catalog and the image files. Then if necessary I can recover the files from backups and I don't have to worry so much about removing them first just in case I change my mind. i.e. I avoid the problem of deleting removed files.

- Alan

Jan 26, 2012 at 02:30 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LR3 Q

I use the 'To Be Deleted' folder route.
mine exists on a smallish old hard drive I still have in my PC . in fact that drive is used as a dumping ground for lots of my probable delete files. evey now and then I format the drive and start again.

Jan 26, 2012 at 09:40 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

trevanian
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LR3 Q

Genius answers thanks guys!

Jan 26, 2012 at 08:08 PM
sevan pulurian
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LR3 Q

If you only remove them from LR and do not move or delete them from their location on the hard drive, just simply go to the folder in LR where you removed the rejects, right click and then Synchronize folder, this will sync the current LR folder to the HDD folder location hence bringing back in any removed or newly added images to that location.

Sevan

Jan 28, 2012 at 05:41 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · LR3 Q

sevan pulurian wrote:
If you only remove them from LR and do not move or delete them from their location on the hard drive, just simply go to the folder in LR where you removed the rejects, right click and then Synchronize folder, this will sync the current LR folder to the HDD folder location hence bringing back in any removed or newly added images to that location.

Sevan

You're right, but the OP wanted to keep these removed files separate so that he could delete them. Bringing in other new files during the sync process might get them deleted too as there is no way to know if they are newly-imported or re-imported. We were trying to find a generic approach that would prevent accidental deletions and confusion about what should be deleted: one that would work no matter how many images are involved and how many folders are involved.

Prevention seems to be better than fixing it

- Alan

Jan 29, 2012 at 05:58 PM
sevan pulurian
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · LR3 Q

Actually!!!

trevanian wrote:
I have this habit of being paranoid of deleting files. After I flag my reject pictures I use the remove picture option. So I use the just remove picture instead of it deleting in lr. How do I get those back to really delete them? Anyone know?

If you had read the OP post he just asks how to get them back in to delete them!!! Clearly my way will work!!! Nothing was mentioned to separate them from newly added images.

So here is the easy way to fix your problem!!!

As long as there are no new images added to the folder, when you sync the folder all the images will show up in the previous import section in the catalog tab, just click on the previous import and it will show you all the images imported on the sync. If done correctly you should see all the images you just removed, then you press G to go to the grid library view, then select all the images and press X to reject them and then press ctrl + Backspace to delete all the rejected images. This will only work if there are NO NEW IMAGES ADD TO THE FOLDER AFTER REMOVAL OF IMAGES OR AFTER INITIAL IMPORT!!!!!! Always use the ctrl + Backspace to DELETE rejects, this will always delete them and not give you the option to remove them, simply pressing the delete key gives you the option to delete from disk, remove or cancel!!!

Problem solved!!!

Sevan

Jan 30, 2012 at 01:33 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password