Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Clover x2 , Wet leaf

Bob Jarman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Clover x2 , Wet leaf

More from my morning excursion out back.

This time I used a tripod and cable release

All C&C appreciated.

Bob

NIKON D2X    50mm    f/8.0    1/40s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Wet leaf on split oak

NIKON D2X    50mm    f/8.0    1/40s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 25, 2012 at 02:00 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Clover x2 , Wet leaf

A bit o' the wearin' o' the green?

Jan 25, 2012 at 02:12 AM
dmacmillan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Clover x2 , Wet leaf

I love the treatment you used on the "Wet Leaf on Split Oak" photo. The tone is spot on and the adjustments to emphasize the veins really works. Also, the soft overhead light reflected in the water cupped in the leaf and reflected off the leaf itself is great, I think it's a much better look than would be achieved on a sunny day with the sun acting as a point source of light.

I suggest you try a crop and see what you think. Crop it into a horizontal. Crop just above the stem on the leaf behind the main leaf. Crop just below the OOF leaf in the foreground. Crop a little from the left. Crop as much as you feel comfortable from the right. Take a look at the results. Describe the differences and decide which you prefer.

I think I'd like to see the small leaf in the foreground either sharper or not there. It would be a gread exercise for a 4x5 view, you could change the plain of focus by tilting the lens.

Jan 25, 2012 at 06:16 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Clover x2 , Wet leaf

@dmac,

Thanks for your comments - glad you like it, and I must admit I'm happy with the result also, but still further to go with cropping etc. Don't know my skill set includes sufficient patience to remove the leaf in the foreground but I'll have a run at it

Thanks again,

Bob

Cropped version

Leaf removed

Jan 25, 2012 at 11:20 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Clover x2 , Wet leaf

Diggin' the leaf veining in contrast with the tree graining.

Took my stab at a variant ... tweaked the gamma, a little selective color variation and a little selective sharp @ leaf.

Edited on Jan 26, 2012 at 02:39 PM · View previous versions

Jan 26, 2012 at 06:06 AM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Clover x2 , Wet leaf

Bob,
No that you cropped it tighter, which do you prefer?

Jan 26, 2012 at 01:41 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Clover x2 , Wet leaf

dmacmillan wrote:
Bob,
No that you cropped it tighter, which do you prefer?

At first glance, the version with the leaf remaining seems to give me a greater sense of stability, but, after several more glances, the second, sans leaf, is a cleaner aesthetic. So, I'd say they both work but the I prefer the second.

And you? Others' thoughts?

Bob

Later, looking again, I've changed my mind - the leaf breaks up the negative space and spine of the leaf points toward the central subject. Too, it forms the third point of a triangle helping anchor the image. Maybe I'm over analyzing :

Jan 26, 2012 at 03:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Clover x2 , Wet leaf

Bob Jarman wrote:
- the leaf breaks up the negative space and spine of the leaf points toward the central subject.

Over analyzing, "Nope" ... Recognizing (balance and leading lines) "Yup".

Analysis ... "Nailed It !!!" (imo).

Besides the fact that I was too lazy to try and remove the leaf (also fearing my technical deficiencies would muck it up), it does change the dynamic of how the eye moves in the frame with it in vs. out.

I tried to approach it by leaving (no pun) it in and considering other ways to draw the eye to the subject via tonal value and color variation and sharpening (pick your tools of choice) without giving up the two points that you have done well to identify.

The thing I like about it is that your eye has a path to travel to get there ... AND ... once it gets there, it has something to study and KEEP it there. THEN, after some study of the subject (i.e. first) the eye can go searching around to study the rest of the scene, and the scene will still return the eye to the subject.

In this regard, it kinda reminds me of Scotts boots and Karens silhouetted seascape (right after she moved). They too had that "take me there", "keep me there", "let me wander" and "bring me back". Theirs aren't the only ones we've seen do this, but for me, images that can do this are very well done.

As always, S&P to taste.

Jan 26, 2012 at 04:39 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Clover x2 , Wet leaf

Bob Jarman wrote:
And you? Others' thoughts?

Bob

I wasn't speaking so much of the foreground leaf there or not there, I was interested in your opinions of the crop. Speaking of the crop, personally, I like it cropped tighter (natch). I think it really makes the big leaf the star of the show with less "busy-ness" in the background.

Regarding the foreground leaf, I don't think there's a right and wrong answer. For some reason, it doesn't seem to be a distraction in the tighter crop. It's your image and it should be your call. Either way, I like it.

I have to keep reminding myself that I don't need to hop in the car and drive to the mountains or to the seashore to find good subjects, that they can be literally in my back yard. Your photo is a great reminder!

Jan 26, 2012 at 05:15 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Clover x2 , Wet leaf

dmacmillan wrote:
they can be literally in my back yard. Your photo is a great reminder!

+100

Jan 26, 2012 at 05:22 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Clover x2 , Wet leaf

RustyBug wrote:
Over analyzing, "Nope" ... Recognizing (balance and leading lines) "Yup".

Analysis ... "Nailed It !!!" (imo).

Besides the fact that I was too lazy to try and remove the leaf (also fearing my technical deficiencies would muck it up), it does change the dynamic of how the eye moves in the frame with it in vs. out.

I tried to approach it by leaving (no pun) it in and considering other ways to draw the eye to the subject via tonal value and color variation and sharpening (pick your tools of choice) without giving up the two points that you
...Show more

Thanks Kent,

Actually the true description: With the leaf "feels better" to me.

Bob

Jan 26, 2012 at 05:58 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Clover x2 , Wet leaf

dmacmillan wrote:
I wasn't speaking so much of the foreground leaf there or not there, I was interested in your opinions of the crop. Speaking of the crop, personally, I like it cropped tighter (natch). I think it really makes the big leaf the star of the show with less "busy-ness" in the background.

Regarding the foreground leaf, I don't think there's a right and wrong answer. For some reason, it doesn't seem to be a distraction in the tighter crop. It's your image and it should be your call. Either way, I like it.

I have to keep reminding myself that I don't
...Show more

Thanks for your analysis Doug, the tighter crop does help (sometimes I think I crop too tight but that is another matter).

Re backyard: absolutely. Once saw a "visualization assignment" on a site - Spend a week taking images only in your yard. Not a great deal of variety this time of year but still plenty of subjects.

Thanks again,

Bob

Jan 26, 2012 at 06:03 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Clover x2 , Wet leaf

The small leaf by comparison tells us the scale of the larger one. That story element is missing if cloned out.

If viewed as in person from bottom foreground to top background do you want the viewer to stop at the leaf? If so you if you crop tighter on top to give the eye nowhere else to go the viewer will stop there. Big gaps invite exploration you must have put that space there for a reason, or so the viewer will think. But the net effect is the gap pulls attention off the focal point and up / out the top of the photo with the strong contrast / leading line.

Jan 26, 2012 at 06:41 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password