Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · New Years

teraflame
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · New Years

Masses of people go to pray, super crowded. Does the framing work?
All comments/critiques are greatly appreciated.

Jan 24, 2012 at 04:34 AM
mtdydobe
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · New Years

my eye says the subject is the girl sharply in focus, on the right. She's 'leaving' the frame, taking my eye with her. But then, it's interesting how you have it, the clear to the right and smokey to the left with the girl dividing it.

Jan 27, 2012 at 04:54 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · New Years

Its a bit of an unusual placement of the main subject, back turned to a large and bright area. I agree, the leaving theme is implied, which is fine. Sounds like your surroundings limited you. I wish the door was either bigger or absent. I might try to darken the man in the bright sweater, but see if there is a way to selectively preserve the rising smoke and mist.

Scott

Jan 29, 2012 at 05:04 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JayCeePhotog
• • •
p.1 #4 · New Years

I don't like how I have to look right for the girl in focus and then have all that distracting smoke in the back. Hurts my eyes.

She is the subject. What she is doing matters more than everything else in this shot.

Jan 29, 2012 at 07:39 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · New Years

In a situation like with a strong focal point (woman) needing context to explain her actions what I try to do is "unify" the elements competing for attention by finding a POV of the camera that puts the context behind or in front so both are seen together, preventing the ping-pong dynamic that occurs when the eye must jump linearly to see the story elements.

I'm not suggesting you edit this image as seen below, the edit is to show visually what I'm suggesting above...

The POV and composition give the woman more balancing space in the direction she is facing, and the context of the urn with joss sticks is seen at the same time without the eye leaving the woman's hands, unifying them compositionally.

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:43 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · New Years

Better compo. The problem with the original is the subject and the fellow in the background are both facing right...right into an open door on the right frame border. More importantly, with the subject facing right, she leads the eye of the viewer out of the frame.

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:08 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password