Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · What is the best way to make a copy of a printed photo?

LeoBloom

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What is the best way to make a copy of a printed photo?

I have an old photo that was black and white and taken with film. I don't have the film anymore, and when I try to scan the photo with my regular flatbed scanner, it becomes a bit washed out with many details disappearing into hotspots.

Is this something that I can adjust with my scanner or do you think some local photo shop can provide a better scan?

Thank you

Jan 22, 2012 at 06:26 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What is the best way to make a copy of a printed photo?

Welcome to FM! Many factors at work here. What is the quality of the original? What is the highest optical resolution of the scanner? What software are you using to scan and enhance? What are your requirements for the final product? Sometimes a regular flatbed can do a decent job with a print but sometimes the print is so badly degraded or the scanner's resolution is insufficient to make a decent copy. If it is a highly prized photo that you want to digitize for posterity, it would probably be fairly cheap to have it done at a local or online service. There are those who could offer further help with this and I'm sure if you answer the questions above, we can steer you in the right direction.

Jan 22, 2012 at 08:38 PM
LeoBloom

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What is the best way to make a copy of a printed photo?

Thank you. The print is maybe 10 years old done on matte paper via black and white printing at home. It is in good shape, but my flatbed washes out many of the small details (small shadows) which makes the picture too flat and ridden with hotspots. My local photo shop doesn't have anything more sophisticated than the flatbed I have a home unfortunately.

Jan 22, 2012 at 08:40 PM
Mickey
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What is the best way to make a copy of a printed photo?

I take a picture of the picture. Nothing is going to add any more resolution or make the photo any sharper so why not go simple. I also then use Photoshop to touch it up.

Jan 23, 2012 at 04:49 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What is the best way to make a copy of a printed photo?

I have some antique b&w photos that have a silvery surface. Add to that corrugation as well. Both together make the entire print impossible to scan via flatbed where all of it is a hotspot.

I'll probably do as Mickey suggested, take a picture of it. I happen to have a copy stand with lights on either side to control reflections. If that still doesn't do it, add a CPL to the camera. Last resort will be to get polarizing gels for the lights as well.

Jan 24, 2012 at 04:46 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password