Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Lightroom 4 Beta Compatibility ?

Mardon Erbland
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom 4 Beta Compatibility ?

The Adobe download page states, "The beta version ... does not read, upgrade or import catalogs from previous versions". If I start a new catalog using the Beta version will the eventual commercial release of version 4 be able to read that catalog? Since the Beta expires at the end of March 2012, is it likely that there will be a gap in time after that and before the final version 4 is available to purchase? I don't want to get stuck with catalogs that I can't open.

Jan 22, 2012 at 03:21 AM
BruceF99
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom 4 Beta Compatibility ?

Did you read the release notes?
http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/01/lr4betanowavailable.html
Lightroom 4 beta will not upgrade Lightroom 1.x, Lightroom 2.x or Lightroom 3.x catalogs. The beta is intended to be used for testing and feedback purposes. Lightroom 1.x, 2.x, 3.x and 4 beta libraries will be able to be migrated to the finished version of Lightroom 4.

Jan 22, 2012 at 03:26 AM
Mardon Erbland
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom 4 Beta Compatibility ?

Hi Bruce, Yes I did read the release notes. In fact, you may notice that I quoted part of them in my OP. The question I am asking is not addressed in either the release notes or in your post above. What I want to know is if I create a brand new catalogue using Lightroom Version 4 Beta, will I be able to open that catalog using the final commercial release of version 4 once I am able to purchase it. I think the answer is that final version 4 will read catalogs created with version 4 Beta but I am not sue. That is what I'm hopiing to find out. Do you know the answer? Thanks.

Jan 22, 2012 at 04:10 AM
JimClark
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom 4 Beta Compatibility ?

I have heard that it will read the beta catalogs as well as convert older catalogs

Jan 22, 2012 at 04:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

colinm
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightroom 4 Beta Compatibility ?

To quote Bruce's quote of the release notes:
Lightroom 1.x, 2.x, 3.x and 4 beta libraries will be able to be migrated to the finished version of Lightroom 4.

Jan 22, 2012 at 07:27 AM
Mardon Erbland
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lightroom 4 Beta Compatibility ?

Colin & Bruce,

Let me offer an apology for my confusion. I have no idea why I failed to see in both the Release notes and Bruce's reply that final v4 will work with the beta4 libraries. I guess I could try claiming a "senior's moment", but even that is poor justification for such an obvious mistake on my part. Maybe a good night's sleep is what cleared my mind.

On the second part of my original question, what is the typical time gap between the expiry of the public beta and the commercial release of the product? I don't own Lightroom now. I want to buy it but I don't want to buy v3 if v4 is being released soon. But I also don't want to be without a working copy of Lightroom for a long period of time after the public Beta expires and before I can purchase the final product.

Once again. I'm sorry for my earlier confusion.

Jan 22, 2012 at 02:43 PM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lightroom 4 Beta Compatibility ?

For Lightroom versions 1 and 2, the final release occurred before the expiration of the beta. With Lightroom 3 there were two beta releases; Beta 2 superceded Beta 1 and extended the testing period.

So going by past history, the final release of Lightroom 4 will come either come in early March 2012 or the beta period will be extended.

Jan 22, 2012 at 03:27 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lightroom 4 Beta Compatibility ?

I suspect that Adobe will make the beta active until the production version is out, either by releasing a "beta2" or by just extending the expiration date.

That said, depending on a beta (unfinished software) for production work is always a risky proposition. You need to evaluate what pain and suffering you will endure IF there is a gap between beta and production or IF there are gotchas when converting from the beta to production catalog or IF there are any other possible hiccups in the beta software.

Your risk is primarily the LR development time you are investing. Think about how much time that is and the likelihood you will need to come back in the future to make adjustments. Any images that you take to final print/Jpeg/TIFF now will have the adjustments baked-in so the risk for those images may only be any quality tweaks that Adobe makes between now and production.

I'll have to say though that with my limited experimenting to date, quality seems to be on par with LR3 and arguably better in the highlight recovery area.

Jan 22, 2012 at 03:36 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password