Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Candid Portrait... Not my usual field.

threemilesfina
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Candid Portrait... Not my usual field.

So I just picked up some accessories for my Speedlite the other day and tested them out.

1/125 - f/4 - ISO125 - 6x8" Softbox on the Speedlite and CTF Gel for the room lighting.

I realize I cut off a bit of the Misses' hair but other than that... how's this look to you?

(I'm normally almost 100% Aviation Shooter so this isn't my comfort zone.)

Jan 22, 2012 at 12:34 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Candid Portrait... Not my usual field.

With on/near camera flash, portions of the scene near the camera receive more exposure. Sometimes selective exposure/gamma changes can balance the light in PP, although care when making the image is perhaps easier. Also, consider a closer crop and perhaps some vignette and other minor changes to direct the eye and polish it.

Jan 22, 2012 at 01:48 AM
threemilesfina
• •
p.1 #3 · Candid Portrait... Not my usual field.

I see! I added what I considered "heavy" vignette in LR but you example is great! Thank you!

That crop is nice too. It's weird with people instead of aircraft. lol

Jan 22, 2012 at 01:53 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Candid Portrait... Not my usual field.

What jumps out at me is Mom's hand which is bigger than baby's face and her bare arm. In any people shot any brightly lit skin competes for attention with the faces. In a candid situation like that grab the snapshot then look for distractions like those and refine it if possible by coaching the subject to move the hand, look at camera or down at baby, etc.

Jan 22, 2012 at 07:54 AM
threemilesfina
• •
p.1 #5 · Candid Portrait... Not my usual field.

okay... so I took another crack at it at in LR.

Size of the Misses' hand notwithstanding, is this better?

(i just noticed that the forum seems to have squashed it. argh.)

Jan 22, 2012 at 10:15 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Candid Portrait... Not my usual field.

Using what I call "Inside-Out" cropping I identified what was most important (faces), cropped in tight on it, then expanded the frame outwards until I found distractions entering the frame. To make the striped shirt less distracting I desaturated it and edit the lighting on the faces a bit. Not perhaps the best crop to tell the complete story but one I think that better delivers it's "punchline" more effectively.

A tip for posing babies without the hand getting in the way is to have the parent grab the shirt at the back, which supports the child and controls where the are oriented. In family group shots it minimizes the # of hands seen vs. hands on shoulders, etc. If you click my WWW button it will link to my tutorial site.

Chuck

Jan 22, 2012 at 11:48 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password