Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · iPhoto Paranoia

unangelino
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · iPhoto Paranoia

I've developed a paranoia about iPhoto. I used to coexist peacefully with it. It served as a good place for all of my photos to be stored and allowed for a modicum of organization and PP.

The problems started when I "upgraded" to IPhoto 11. Some of my originals vanished in the upgrade process (though I had backed them all up before the transfer so no loss of originals occurred). Still, it freaked me out.

Occasionally, a thumbnail will fail to load and equally occasionally another original will vanish. AFAIK, the latest version of IPhoto takes the originals and buries them in its hierarchical file system. Translation? If iPhoto develops a problem with an original and suddenly decides its missing, you cannot retrieve the original.

Even though I am a rank amateur, I'm not going to let this happen again. From now on I'm going to load photos from my camera directly to a Master Photo folder with appropriate subfolders. Then, if I need to, I'll copy images from that folder to IPhoto.

So, here are my questions: I would like to find an IPhoto alternative that would allow me to import photos, organize them, yet still maintain direct access to my originals.

This loading to my Master Photo folder act is gonna get old quick.

All advice and recommendations are appreciated!

Cheers,

Jan 20, 2012 at 06:52 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · iPhoto Paranoia

If you are currently using iPhoto then I assume you are on a Mac. I would strongly reccomend you look at Aperture. There is a fully functional 30 day trial:

http://www.apple.com/aperture/trial/

There is also a similar product from Adobe called Lightroom.

Currently, Aperture is $79 to purchase from the App Store. I use it for most of my editing. It is a little similar to the early version on iPhoto but there is where the similarity ends. It is a full editing program as well as storage, searching with keywords etc. You can import directly in to the program or do a reference where you pick the location and just point to the files. It does non destructive editing which means that the files you import are untouched. It just stores the instructions to add to the the file when you export.

I just find that Aperture is easier to use than Lightroom but that is just me.

Jan 20, 2012 at 07:12 PM
unangelino
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · iPhoto Paranoia

Thanks, so Aperture doesn't take imported image files and bury them? That's the thing I find most worrisome about iPhoto. Plus, '11 is dreadfully slow compared to earlier versions.

I wonder if Apple has kind of hobbled iPhoto to encourage users into buying Aperture?

It may end up working with me and I was already fool enough to buy iLife '11 to get iPhoto '11.

Jan 20, 2012 at 07:34 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · iPhoto Paranoia

Aperture can bury the images if you choose to import in the managed mode but it does not move them. It will keep a copy. In the referenced mode then it just creates a pointer to the files. Considering that when Apple first launched Aperture it was a $500 program. When I went from version 2 to 3 it cost $99 to upgrade. Now they are releasing it as a download for anyone at $79.

Lightroom is about $300 for a first time buyer and does pretty much the same as Aperture. It is more of a professional product. The one thing to remember is that it can import from iPhoto so you may be able to save time. Although files imported to Aperture appear to be invisible, there is a structure that can be found.

If it is for you then only you can know. Fortunately you can try it for 30 days which will allow time for you to make your mind up. Aperture will work with iPhoto but Lightroom will not.

Jan 20, 2012 at 07:53 PM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · iPhoto Paranoia

Take a look at Lightroom. It also keeps the photos in the native folder structure. I am using it on a MAC. I never looked at Aperture but LR seems to be more popular it.

Jan 21, 2012 at 02:20 AM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · iPhoto Paranoia

The reason I suggested Aperture is the cost as well as the ability to pull directly from iPhoto.

Jan 21, 2012 at 03:07 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

unangelino
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · iPhoto Paranoia

I'm on the free 30 day trial of Aperture. In the meantime, I've had all images now imported into locations other than Aperture's database just to make sure I have access to the originals.

iPhoto remains scary. I rebuilt all the files and the thumbnails. The other day I was looking at an album. All the thumbnails were visible but one of the images gave the dreaded ! mark. But, the next time I scroll by it opened just fine.

I hate it the behavior of iPhoto. Oddly, earlier, non-paid versions were far less dicey and I never lost access to an original.

Jan 29, 2012 at 06:59 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · iPhoto Paranoia

Sometimes the thumbnails get corrupt and I know in Aperture you can rebuild the views to correct the problem. You could try to research to recover in iPhoto. In Aperture you should be able to connect directly with your iPhoto.

Jan 29, 2012 at 09:23 PM
unangelino
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · iPhoto Paranoia

Hopefully my last observation on this dreary topic:

One thing I found is that a few of my photos that had been altered (cropped or had their orientation flipped) would display the thumbnail but go all ! when I tried to access the original file.

But, when I reverted the images back to their original versions suddenly they reappeared. Weird.

My solution is as follows: I am uploading all my my photos to smugmug and duplicating them on an external drive. From now on, I'm going to upload my photos to a designated "Master Image" folder and export to iPhoto, Aperture or PSE from there.

Sigh...again, I had no issues with the free version of iPhoto.

Sometimes you don't get what you pay for.

Jan 30, 2012 at 08:04 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · iPhoto Paranoia

I would also recommend an upgrade to Aperture v3 from the Apple app store
The image quality output from Aperture v3 is very nice

Jan 31, 2012 at 09:44 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · iPhoto Paranoia

I would also recommend an upgrade to Aperture v3 from the Apple app store
The image quality output from Aperture v3 is very nice

I found Iphoto too limiting on RAW editing options

Jan 31, 2012 at 09:45 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · iPhoto Paranoia

Aperture and Lightroom are much the same but different. Your choice will large come down to user preference or indifference as neither is overwhelmingly better than the other. If there is any chance that you will be using a PC later on then consider Lr instead of Aperture because there are versions that work on Mac and Windows platforms whereas Aperture is for Mac only.

- Alan

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:09 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password