Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · USPS Priority issues suddenly???

Will Patterson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · USPS Priority issues suddenly???

I've been shipping camera gear for about 8 years now, and I've NEVER had a problem with the USPS getting my package to my buyer or getting a package from a seller in 2 business days if shipped Priority.

So I suggested to my girlfriend that she have a new book she ordered sent via USPS Priority this time last week. She ordered it Friday, it was mailed, I said oh ok, you should be getting it Tuesday. She got it yesterday (Thursday). I thought ok, weird, maybe a fluke.

Then I sell a lens to someone here on the forum and handed the box to the post office on Tuesday the 17th. I told the buyer he should have it Thursday. Today's the 20th and it still shows in transit, as of this morning I see an update on the tracking info but it's still not at the destination post office for sorting even. Should have been delivered yesterday.

On Wednesday I bought a 1D from someone here on FM. He shipped it the same way, USPS Priority with signature confirmation. I should be getting it today, but the tracking info still says my item was accepted on January 18th in Redondo Beach CA, blablabla.. but no movement.

So suddenly, with no warning, after years of excellent service, I'm now really considering just going with UPS from now on. Unless maybe they're having computer software issues or something of the like, and it'll be fixed soon? Really strange..

Anyone know if there's something going on?

Jan 20, 2012 at 03:54 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #2 · USPS Priority issues suddenly???

Just called and MAGICALLY, finally, got through to a live human being at USPS. After explaining everything the rep said that priority mail can take up to 5 days, so unless I receive the package after those 5 days, there's nothing I can do.

So in other words, why pay for priority? A package I shipped to AZ costs $17, and probably would have been $5 had I done it regular parcel post and it'd arrive at the same time

Jan 20, 2012 at 04:25 PM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · USPS Priority issues suddenly???

I've noticed in my last 6 or so USPS Priority shipments, incoming and outbound (all within 4 weeks time) that the tracking status info was slowly, and in some circumstances, not updated at all.

Still, I received most items in a timely fashion. An important detail to remember is at what time the local Post Offices ship incoming mail (regardless of method) they have received. For instance, the PO where I grew up doesn't send things out same day if they receive it after 1PM, they'll actually sit on it until the next business day, though where I live now (same city) will ship same day up until 4pm.

This does account for a delay in receipt on the receivers end.

Jan 20, 2012 at 04:27 PM
Binh Ly
• • • •
p.1 #4 · USPS Priority issues suddenly???

My experience: Priority is *generally* 2-3 days. I would estimate maybe about 90% of the time it is as advertised. Once in a while, it could take more. Whenever somebody asks me to send Priority so that they can get it by certain date I always tell them, Priority is not guaranteed. I sent a lens once Priority and it took 2 weeks from NJ to NY (just 1 state over). The buyer wasn't happy and kept pestering me. I told him to calm down and there is nothing I can do about it. That's the way it is.

If you want any kind of guaranteed delivery, pay up and go UPS or FEDEX. Of course, they mess up too but you have a higher chance of getting a package by a certain date with them.

Jan 20, 2012 at 07:43 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · USPS Priority issues suddenly???

Here in Maryland, the USPS service has deteriorated 100% in 30 days.
All due to the closing of many "sorting facilities" within the state(and across the USA). My mail now takes 3 days to go a block away whereas it was overnight in November. Priority Mail that took 2-3 days to send/receive now takes 5-7. And that is within the state also!
Tracking info was not there for 5 days on 2 recent "Delivery Confirmation" and it took 10 days to get from Michigan to Maryland.
The USPS is in deep do-do!! Local delivery to the mailbox is now late afternoon whereas it was morning prior to said closings. Snail mail now takes at least 3 days longer to arrive at any destination I mail to.

If I need something to someone in a specific amount of time, I go with FedEx or UPS.

Jan 20, 2012 at 10:22 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #6 · USPS Priority issues suddenly???

USPS Express Mail has NEVER failed me! Overnight, next day delivery by Noon. perhaps $25 more coast to coast than regular Priority (sic) Mail. However, last purchase here from WA state 2 days Priority Mail. From now on, Express Mail it is - damn cheaper than either UPS or FedEx.

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:57 PM
DRNPhoto

p.1 #7 · USPS Priority issues suddenly???

To add insult to injury the post office clerk told me that all shipping rates are going up on Sunday (1/22/12) . He said while not significant, it will a bump in price........

Jan 21, 2012 at 02:47 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #8 · USPS Priority issues suddenly???

My brother-in-law works for the P.O. and he tells me that everyone is on edge due to the pending cuts that are on the horizon. I would imagine that we're going to see a steady degradation of service until the dust settles. I will still use USPS but not for critical items needed on a deadline.

Jan 22, 2012 at 10:29 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · USPS Priority issues suddenly???

Guess nobody wants to hear they want to do away with Sat. deliveries then either.

Jan 22, 2012 at 12:33 PM
mdarnton

p.1 #10 · USPS Priority issues suddenly???

I had three packages all arrive in Chicago on the 29th of December. One was quickly marked "out for delivery, and just showed up Wednesday. The second I went last Monday and picked up using the tracking number; the woman there acted surprised that I would want them to actually deliver my mail. The third package is still in limbo--I just got the tracking number, and supposedly it is also sitting in the PO waiting for me to complain that it wasn't delivered.

I hate going to the PO--everyone there moves like a sloth, getting any attention is painful. They took away all the stamp machines a couple of years ago, so you have to stand in line to buy stamps now, too. I wonder if this is just a downtown Chicago PO staffing problem--I have had some wonderful carriers over the years, but if the people who are supposed to be backing them up aren't doing their jobs. . .

Jan 22, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jdben622
• • • •
p.1 #11 · USPS Priority issues suddenly???

They are phasing out a pretty good chunk of the sorting facilities so all mail services (except express) will take longer. I'm more irritated by their insane insurance fees than I am their lead times. They're charging 2-3% the value of the item in insurance costs and I guarantee the don't have claims on 2-3% of their shipments. Can't stand it when carriers use insurance as a profit center. It's time for the USPS to be reorganized big-time. I couldn't care less if only I got mail 3 days a week.

Jan 23, 2012 at 07:55 AM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #12 · USPS Priority issues suddenly???

Well, I just had a good one!

Tracked a package coming to my home address, out for delivery 1/23, at 10.09am. Mail was delivered to my home address, but no Priority Mail package, and NO failed attempt notice. Called 1 800, they haven't a clue, called local PO, closed, checked tracking through website this morning: Delivery Status: "No updates for 1/24".

Did the carrier forget it was in his vehicle? Where's my notice?

PO opens at ten, will be calling.

Jan 24, 2012 at 01:57 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #13 · USPS Priority issues suddenly???

Update - The 1D that was mailed to me on Wednesday via Priority with signature confirmation did arrive on Friday, but I didn't know it until I went to walk out the front door of my office and the dump postal worked dropped it off on the ground. What about signature confirmation? HOW ABOUT RINGING MY DOOR BELL OR KNOCKING ON THE DOOR

Jan 24, 2012 at 02:12 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #14 · USPS Priority issues suddenly???

I hope I am not jinxing myself, but I have never had a problem with USPS priority shipping. Fast. Cheap. Actually had one buyer leave in his feedback how fast he got the package. said, "He must have some pull with the postal service I received package so fast"

Jan 24, 2012 at 04:37 PM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #15 · USPS Priority issues suddenly???

I'm now experiencing my own headache. With that, I've just hung-up with a PO rep and learned something helpful! As soon as the package reaches the local Post Office in the neighborhood it is being sent to, once it has been sorted at said location, it is scanned and a generic status update is attached to its tracking information.

"Out For Delivery"

However, the local delivery vehicles leave around 10AM, and if the package in question arrives at the PO by 10.05AM, let's say, and the vehicle has already left, the package status will still display "OFD", although the reality is that the package will now sit at the PO until the next business day, when it can be loaded onto the truck.

This is part of the reason packages could be delayed, and the tracking info can be off.

Jan 24, 2012 at 05:04 PM
troy12n
• • •
p.1 #16 · USPS Priority issues suddenly???

Priority mail has NEVER been 2 day. If it happened, it was out of the ordinary, or you got lucky. If it was happening regularly, you got VERY lucky. It's been 3-5 days on average. I got overnight on priority once, but was shipping less than 100 miles.

Jan 25, 2012 at 01:21 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · USPS Priority issues suddenly???

Priority mail has NEVER been 2 day
Not in FL, maybe I've had hundreds of 2 day Priority deliveries over the last 10 yrs from the boondocks of NM.
Hundreds, dude...to points as far from me as WA, ME, NY, PA etc.

Jan 25, 2012 at 01:30 AM
WThiry
• • •
p.1 #18 · USPS Priority issues suddenly???

Easy folks, prices just went up, all that extra money has slowed down the shipping process, (gotta count the loot) and let us not forget, this is a branch of the government we are talking about!! If it was a private business it would have been bankrupt years ago. funny that UPS and Fedex aren't losing money!!

Jan 25, 2012 at 02:29 AM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #19 · USPS Priority issues suddenly???

troy12n wrote:
Priority mail has NEVER been 2 day. If it happened, it was out of the ordinary, or you got lucky. If it was happening regularly, you got VERY lucky. It's been 3-5 days on average. I got overnight on priority once, but was shipping less than 100 miles.

I've done nearly 100 transactions between here and ebay for camera gear and even if it's CA to NY or NY to CA or wherever, it's ALWAYS taken two days for the past ~6 years.

Jan 25, 2012 at 04:35 AM
troy12n
• • •
p.1 #20 · USPS Priority issues suddenly???

Will Patterson wrote:
I've done nearly 100 transactions between here and ebay for camera gear and even if it's CA to NY or NY to CA or wherever, it's ALWAYS taken two days for the past ~6 years.

You got lucky, as I said.

I ran an online business out of my house from 2001-2008 using Priority Mail almost exclusively, dropping the packages off at our airport post office (main hub for our region), and never consistently got 2 day service. And it was NEVER, NEVER, advertised as 2 day service. Always 3-5 days. Shipped literally thousands of packages ranging from 4 ounces to 60 pounds. I think I know a thing or 2 about this.

Since it's advertised as 3-5 day service, what exactly are you complaining about?

Jan 25, 2012 at 12:03 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password