Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Monitors

MarkB1
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Monitors

G'day guys. I have been using CRT Trinitrons since the beginning - a few years ago for me, always calibrated by eye - no problem it seems, and now my last one is on its last legs and I can't find another in Brisbane, where I live. So I'm considering a LCD (if that's what they are, shows how much I know about them) and a couple have been recommended : EIZO - http://www.imagescience.com.au/products/Eizo-EV2335W-23-Inch-Widescreen-FlexScan-LCD-Monitor.html And this one from NEC : http://www.imagescience.com.au/products/NEC-P221W-22-Inch-Widescreen-Colour-Critical-Monitor.html

I was also looking at the Dell http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=au&cs=audhs1&l=en&s=dhs&sku=230-11017&redirect=1

I don't need the best, nor do I have the money to splash, I get used to things and do my basic editing anyway. It's relative, I just want the best for the buck.

Does anyone have anything against the Dell in particular. It's the easiest to acquire, CS is second to none here in Aus, and its 3yr warranty is as good as both the others, as far as I can tell. And I don't see any real difference in the specs.

You can tell I like the Dell, basically because it allows the 1920 x 1200 resolution at 24". (Plus it's 20% off for the next few days)

Not much seems to vary between similarly priced products, that I can tell.

Just wondering if anyone uses a Dell monitor, or what you say?

Mark

Jan 20, 2012 at 09:31 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Monitors

The Dell is good. I actually got the 27" the other day which has blown me away. Im no longer chasing my tail when colour balancing and its cut my production time by about 50%.

On the higher end Dell panels CCF gives a better tonal range than LED.

I too have come from Trinitrons but I spend so much time infront of these things that I was starting to feel my face getting hot. Its ok, the transition isnt that bad.

If you not looking for the best look around for a used AOC IF23. They are nice LED IPS panels. Pretty good for the money but nothing like the quality of the one your looking at.

Jan 20, 2012 at 10:27 AM
Goldenorfe
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Monitors

Hi Mark, i use a dell "ultra sharp" cant fault it

Jan 20, 2012 at 07:42 PM
Strid3r
• • •
p.1 #4 · Monitors

I use a 20" dell ultrasharp. my only gripe is that very few places still sell my monitor so it's going to be pricey to go to matching dual monitors

I have been very pleased with it since I purchased it in 2005/6.

Jan 20, 2012 at 07:50 PM
M Vers
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Monitors

I've got a Dell UltraSharp 27 and a 24--both are great.

Jan 20, 2012 at 08:27 PM
MarkB1
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Monitors

Thanks for your replies all, much appreciated.

Looks like Dell monitors are good enough then. Think I'll just get the one though.

Jan 21, 2012 at 01:58 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

MarkB1
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Monitors

I got the Dell UltraSharp U2410 Monitor delivered today and it's bloody amazing. The colour, brightness and contrast are all very strong compared to what I'm used to, and such a clean image, significantly bigger. Now I haven't a clue what others see on theirs, given such a difference between the CRT I was so used to and what I'm seeing now. Hmmm!

I'll have to play with it I suppose, but that still won't tell me what others see on theirs.

Any comments on that?

Jan 24, 2012 at 09:39 AM
Jeannean
• • •
p.1 #8 · Monitors

Mark, there is no way to know what others see on their monitors. I've looked at a specific web posted photo (from a calibrated system) and it looked different on each monitor. The variations were subtle on some, but on others, the variation was very significant.

Jan 24, 2012 at 05:36 PM
MarkB1
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Monitors

Jeannean wrote:
Mark, there is no way to know what others see on their monitors. I've looked at a specific web posted photo (from a calibrated system) and it looked different on each monitor. The variations were subtle on some, but on others, the variation was very significant.

Thanks Jeannean, I'll probably just figure what suits me as before and leave it at that. The monitor is preset for sRGB and Adobe, but there are still so many things that can be adjusted in that. So, as you say, there's no way of telling unless you know how another has altered settings from the basic calibration.

I am just amazed at how much better the pix look on this LCD compared to the old CRT I was using, I think something must be out of adjustment.

Jan 24, 2012 at 05:43 PM
Matt Ward
• •
p.1 #10 · Monitors

I would strongly suggest one of the Dell UltraSharp series, I like you have always used a good tube and I had the chance to pick up a used 24" UltraSharp and took the plunge. Gave away my big tube 3 days later.

Jan 25, 2012 at 01:06 AM
e6filmuser
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · Monitors

I have an Iiyama Vision Master Pro 454 and my son has the 510. Both were given to us free. Not only is the performance very good but the price was right! The setback, and the reason they were free, is they are very bulky CRTs.

Harold

Jan 25, 2012 at 07:45 AM

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password