Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Help deciding on a laser/ink printer

revhappy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Help deciding on a laser/ink printer

So I've been using this HP printer for the past 10 years now, and it's finally starting to crap out on me. It's a multifunction printer that lets me scan and print, and I'm looking for an alternative to it.

Here's what I need to do with it:
- Print out contracts
- Scan contracts
- Print out color CD labels
- POSSIBLY be able to print out decent color 4x6 photos

My friends recommended I go with Laserjet, and I tried a few out at OfficeDepot, and I love how the text and images come out waxy looking with a nice shine to it from certain printers. At the same time, I was told that InkJet is better for printing images on glossy paper, but I'm not really looking for the highest quality prints like those done at a print shop, but it could come in handy for this small 3x3 print I use on the leather CD cases I give clients.

I was looking at this one for $400 http://www.amazon.com/Canon-imageCLASS-MF8380Cdw-Wireless-5120B001AA/dp/B005L39H9G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top but thought it might be too much for what I'm looking to do, although it's probably my best choice so far.

Am I better off spending less on a dedicated printer (instead of multifunction), and then just getting a cheap scanner on the side to scan in contracts?

Jan 19, 2012 at 11:55 PM
Gregstx
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Help deciding on a laser/ink printer

I just bought my first multi-function printer. I have been happy with my Epson printers and scanners in the past. When my last printer didn't survive a slight drop while re-arranging my office, I found an Epson Artisan 835 multifuntion printer on sale for $74.95 at Office Depot. It was a display model that had never been activated. I haven't had it long but it seems to print really nice photos in 4 x 6, 5 x 7 and 8 x 10. Photo quality is at least as good (probably better) as my last stand alone office photo printer. And it prints them faster. Instead of having to print CD labels, you can print directly on printable CD's/DVD's. Which I really prefer over CD labels. I think it looks a lot more polished and professional than labels. It prints all documents really well and obviously faster then my older stand alone printer. I haven't had the opportunity to scan anything yet but I am positive that documents won't be any problem, nor would high rez images. And it has a smaller foot print than my old stand alone scanner and stand alone printer combined. Win, win, win. Good luck.

Jan 20, 2012 at 05:26 AM
revhappy
• •
p.1 #3 · Help deciding on a laser/ink printer

Man, you got that thing for a steal! Cheapest I found online was through BH for around $150, but looking at the reviews, it definitely seems like a great choice, especially for the price. Looks like it might be the one, thanks for the heads up!

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:01 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #4 · Help deciding on a laser/ink printer

You might want to check out the Canon multifunctional printers...my 2yr old mp550 gives out excellent photographic prints and does office printing / scanning / copying well...all at a reasonable price. Not sure about CD labels however.

Being a Canon...it doesn't clog.....and it is easy and cheap to refill the carts with decent 3rd party bulk ink as well....

Jan 21, 2012 at 02:50 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password