Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Finishing options for large metallic prints

PaulC
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Finishing options for large metallic prints

Hello all,

I recently received two larger sized metallic prints from WHCC. First time using this paper, very happy with the result. However, I am having some trouble coming up with a finishing option due to their size. - they are fairly short in height, 13-15 inches, but 48 inches long.

I'd like to frame one without a matte. I realize I can't put it directly up against the glass. I thought I could mount it to Masonite, but have read that the heat from the process could impact the print, not to mention the film on the front taking away some gloss? I also inquired about self adhesive backing, at whcc's recommendation, and apparently the product the framer I deal with can get in and mount using a vacuum press comes in a max length of 40 inches.

Does anyone have experience with mounting large metallic prints, and thus some options I haven't thought about?

Thanks very much.

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:29 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Finishing options for large metallic prints

I've had large prints on Kodak Endura Metallic mounted on foamcore no problem---frame shop does need to take some care in mounting. There are "spacers" than can be placed in the frame to keep separation from the print to the glass. No anti-glare glass here otherwise the metallic loses its impact. Haven't tried placing a metallic print behind museum glass to see the effect, but that's kinda pricey...

Jan 19, 2012 at 02:15 PM
PaulC
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Finishing options for large metallic prints

Pricey indeed for the museum glass!

Just to clarify, they mounted the print using the heat press/drytac method? Also, did you find that the film that goes over the front of the image and sort of 'melts' on decreased some of the punch of the print, or significantly?

Thanks!

Jan 19, 2012 at 03:55 PM
sevan pulurian
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Finishing options for large metallic prints

Well on metallic print you don't want to use any sort of glass if you are going to frame it, it will take away from the papers effect. As for the 48 in length, Unless you are able to by a roll I don't think metallic prints come that large do they? I know Mpix is largest at 20x30on metallic paper. I take that back I just looked on WHCC site and they have a 30x45+ option on metallic FML!!!! That's huge!

Foam core is probably your best option and maybe a piece of masonite behind the foam core as one piece will lock everything together. I don't think you need to use any spray finish.

Have you looked into metal prints? I have many shots printed on aluminum and they can be wiped off with a micro cloth and put metallic paper to shame, but you challenge lies in the option to print the length you want.

http://bayphoto.com/metalprints/ is where I get mine done for mow love the turn out so far.

pricing:
http://bayphoto.com/metalprints/single/sizes-and-prices.htm

Sevan

Jan 28, 2012 at 06:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mr Joe
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Finishing options for large metallic prints

Be careful if you decide to mount a 48" print to foamcore -- it's really not rigid enough for big prints. You might look into mounting to a more rigid material like aluminum or plexi.

Jan 28, 2012 at 09:34 PM
greggn
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Finishing options for large metallic prints

WHCC offers a 2mm styrene mounting that I have used on several 30x40 prints. I find it rigid enough.

Since they're doing the printing why not have them mount it as well ? If anything goes wrong in the mounting process, or it's not to your satisfaction, they'll replace it.

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:39 PM
Peter Le
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Finishing options for large metallic prints

Mount it to 3/16 Gator Board........Check out ArtGrafix.com....they have acid free adhesive applied to Gator Board. If you google I`m sure their are many other suppliers selling adhesive Gator board. GB is very rigid and would work fine at 40 in. You can even go without a frame just using 1/2 in blocks on the back to hold the GB off the wall. Best of luck Peter

Jan 31, 2012 at 03:55 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password